Why is this one considered the worst of the franchise...

Why is this one considered the worst of the franchise? I'm playing through it now as my first fromsoft game and having a fucking blast. I tried ds3 before and quit early on though this just floored me. Hoping to finish it by tomorrow and give ds3 another try after that before getting Elden ring at the end of the month. Also,

Is multiplayer a meme? Kind of feel like I'm missing out since they took down the servers. I almost wanted to hold off until they added them but I doubt it's gonna happen.

Attached: digitalfoundry-2015-dark-souls-2-performance-analysis-1427971714385.jpg (1200x797, 826.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uEhtMUIHO4U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=uEhtMUIHO4U

>Why is this one considered the worst of the franchise?
Because Darksouls 1 is one of the greatest games of all time and this was the followup, also launch DS2 dogshit, not like current ds2(or 3 or bb or ER) are any better

You want the proof that DS2 is a shit game? Look no further than Heide's tower, perfect representation

It's a corridor with danger of falling, where several Heide Knights and Sentinels stand waiting to be cheesed by triggering their animations to punish. You have to do it several times, over and over, no actual difference.
After that, you reach a wyvern that oneshots you with its flame attack, but won't even scratch said mobs.
Then there's lore breaking Orstein ripoff with copy pasted assets.
Following that, there's ANOTHER dragon with wide flame attacks and ghost animation attacks + bloated HP bar that you have to cheese.

Gameplay-wise this is not enjoyable. There's no reaction time or learning about enemies involved, because all of those enemies have really basic, unrefined movesets. It's not even about managing resources because lifegems break the healing system.
It doesn't give a shit about making interesting level design and enjoyable progression. Even in their linearity, Sekiro, DS3 and BB are all made to offer enjoyable and varied encounters, which is what is missing here.

On top of that the world feels artificial. It instantly breaks your immersion by putting you in a tunnel videogame level where from a windmill you take an elevator to flying lava castle. You poke to death a retarded dragon with your shitty longsword already 20 minutes into the game. In DS1 and DS3 the developers knew that this is just stupid so you actually need to find a way to put down both Kalameet and Midir before the boss fight even starts.

DS2 is creatively bankrupt, horribly designed and carelessly put together. It's such a slog the developers realized that and made the enemies despawn because the game was too FUBAR to actually balance it.
It encompasses every bad aspect of Dark Souls as a whole, it's like DS1 if it was an endless reskin of Valley of Drakes, Crystal Cave and Lost Izalith.

Attached: Ashen Chad.jpg (1155x814, 760.78K)

It playa like shit.

Because elevator from a windmill to a volcano or some shit.

Dark Souls 2 has better bosses than Elden Ring. Even Sihn the Slowpoke dragon is better than the shit dragon fights in ER.

average fart souls 2 boss

Attached: file.png (291x173, 89.92K)

gank fights out the ass
shitty corridor design
ugly boss design
every boss is a giant knight
need to level up ADP so you cna beat the game's enemies/bosses horribly tracking attacks
>mimic grab
>unfun progression
>nonsensical area design

>Why is this one considered the worst of the franchise?
Everyone has brain damage

Better than fighting red sif for the 6th time.

imo the make or break point is earthen peak/iron keep. you'll either like those 2 or think it's all a huge chore.

any souls game where running to the boss is harder/more challenging than the boss itself is failed

so DS2 and Demon Souls

>that run to Sir Alonne
I'm still a little bit mad

Shitters tried to play it exactly like DaS1 and got upset when it didn't work out.
PTDE faggots expected DaS 1.5 and it was actually a sequel that did new things

"it did new things" is not inherently praiseworthy

similar to op but started the franchise with ds1 and moved onto 2 recently
i love this game, probably like it more than ds1
haven't gotten to 3 yet so i can't say it's the best in the series but this is a fantastic piece of video gaming
i hate the weeb knights so goddamn much
that and the run to smelter demon sucked so much ass
i guess i can give the alonne run credit in that it is the least worst of the dlc co op boss runs since it doesn't fuck with your vision or your equip load but it still suck massive ass

Attached: 20220317174952_1.jpg (1920x1080, 648.2K)

demon's souls the creator of the formula is a failed souls game because you joined in 2018 and think the point of the game is bosses?

Dark Souls 2 is so soulful, the guy who made King's Field had a big hand in it which is as good to me as Miyazaki

Why was Smelter Demon such horseshit?
I couldn't figure out what it is but something with his fight was really off. I thought it was just his insane tracking, but it's something more than that. Am I insane or does he just attack differently than every other single enemy/boss in the game? His combos are all fucked up.

i don't think it's much on the boss itself and more on the enemies leading up to him being dogshit speedlords who suck to fight, but there is some shit with him
punishing you for being close with the fire aura is weird when most bosses in the game are dealt with by being in their face and dodging close to them
his jump attack where he just decides whether or not to explode afterwards is also fucking lame

Blue Smelter has delayed timings compared to regular.
So if you're used to Nacho Smelter, you will be roll caught by Cool Ranch Smelter

>The game had some pretty massive visual downgrades from what was originally shown
>It leaned too hard on "dude in armor" for all its bosses
>It introduced the nonsensical "lmao cycles" plotline and forced the world in its entirety to be about the curse, when in dark souls 1 the undead were a mere new thing, and the world outside the game was described as thriving. It means your actions in dark souls 1 were irrelevant, it means your actions in dark souls 2 are irrelevant. It means your actions in dark souls 3 will be irrelevant. Nothing you accomplish matters
>Early on in release, too many enemies - especially large ones - relied on overly large hitboxes commonly referred to as "shockwaves" because every time someone posted a webm of a hit from an attack that was 6+ feet away people would just go "dude the shockwaves got you" which, after a while, turned into its own joke
>Soul Memory was a godawful mechanic that punished you for using the game's mechanics (co op, pvp)
>It relied too heavily on callbacks to dark souls 1 (though 3 did this way more and is still my least favorite from game)

That said, dark souls 2 also did a lot of things right
>Its pvp, despite soul memory, was fantastic
>It introduced power stancing
>It tried to fix NG+ by changing enemy location instead of just jacking up stats a little
>It encouraged challenge runs with unique items

I wish I'd saved Fume Knight and Sir Alonne for last
Burnt Ivory King felt underwhelming by comparison

covitchous demon a cute