These are the foundational pillars of PC gaming. The pillars on which all modern gaming was built on

These are the foundational pillars of PC gaming. The pillars on which all modern gaming was built on.

Attached: 1618116898931.jpg (2345x1857, 428.29K)

No wonder games are so shit

Sierra seems like an exaggeration here from what I remember of pc game history. Am I forgetting something particularly influential?

Valve exists because of them.

You are dumb. The pillars of PC gaming are.
1. Cheap games
2. Modding
3. Fuck Censorship

Why not just put Valve there if that's the influential company? You can always find an earlier cause, I assume foundation is meant to imply direct widespread effect

..... oh, user.....
and im not on my pc to do this properly

half life was originally a Sierra game

Attached: 1589917584793.png (1196x624, 144.95K)

Sierra was only the publisher.

There are plenty of companies that published more and bigger games than Sierra. It's not like Valve was non-existent, they developed the game. Honestly, I'd even pick Origin over Sierra, Ultima had tons of sway on the industry

thanks tim great post appreciate ya

Sierra had hands in Ultima too. And Valve literally didn't exist before Sierra gave them a shot. They were famously rejected by many people before Sierra gave them a chance.

Gamedev will never be this kino again. How do we save the industry?

Attached: 1617518105648.jpg (1200x807, 165.48K)

>Sierra had hands in Ultima too
I don't remember that at all, which games? And again, I just don't think "helped pay for development" makes them more relevant than "developed the influential game as well as one of the most widely used engines". If Valve is the pillar, just say valve, not the dude who paid to carve the ridges

They were the developers of Ultima 2.

>pcbro upset history isn't being rewritten to make them more important

but Sierra was also pc…

Wow, I really had forgotten about their involvement there, although calling them the developers is another exaggeration. That was early enough that Garriott was still actually coding the games himself, and they're only listed as the publisher
This is a weird line to take since Sierra was a quintessentially pcbro company

Huh, didn't know they added Valve to the filters lol. That sure changed the content of my post.

I miss Sierra like you wouldn't believe

>no origin systems
>no apogee
>no lucasarts

Alright, I'm digging back into the what I remember about Sierra, so let me make the argument for them since I'm unconvinced it is the games they released.
Sierra did pretty much define early pc dev culture. They put lots of people together who wouldn't otherwise have met via their sex retreats and general business connections. I also vaguely remember they had a magazine, I think, that drove lots of industry trends. If we are talking mechanical and technical influence I probably wouldn't call them a pillar, but cultural is justifiable

>If Valve is the pillar
Valve exists by standing on the shoulders of ID and Sierra. That's what a foundation or a pillar does. If anything I'd swap Epic with Origin although Unreal Engine is debatably important.
That's hard to say. I see both listed as developer depending on where you look. Especially since it is so far back it could have been just him making it alone or he had some help working with the company besides funding with it being also early enough when publisher and developer roles weren't as separated.

You'll hate to admit it but you're missing one

Attached: ElectronicArtsOldLogo.jpg (319x255, 9.63K)

>cultural is justifiable
Weren't they the first to put a story into a game? Or am I thinking first to put a story into a non text game?

And Sierra stands on the shoulders of IBM and Adventure. You can always go further back.

I hated Sierra adventure games so goddamn much

Attached: 6466666.png (506x640, 158.29K)

They don't deserve a spot after breaking their promise to remain focused on PC through the crash

The first two are fine choices, though I think Epic's impact on PC gaming has really only started recently, with Unreal Engine becoming more readily available for consumers and Fortnite (regardless of how cringe it is). I think Blizzard or Valve would've been a better choice for the third pillar, even if both companies have gone to shit (Blizzard especially), their impact on PC gaming back in the day was undeniably massive.

What kind of retarded triangylar building are you constructing?