Why were all the characters in Reach so emotionless?

Why were all the characters in Reach so emotionless?

No one seems to care that the Covenant are on Reach, or that Reach is slowly falling. I get that in-universe, Reach has to fall, but the characters don't know that. I can go play MW2 and get more emotion and believability from the characters present in the five missions featuring the Russian invasion of the US than I got from ALL of Reach.

Attached: reach.png (1831x957, 3.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QV_C0G1KawU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Humans had been at war with the covenant for years at that point. Spartans are also fucked emotionally due to augmentations so they won’t feel emotions the same way

The campaign peaked in the
>SLIPSPACE RUPTURE DETECTED
scene

They're spartans what do you want them to do, start crying about it and explode into dramatic soliloquy?

Adding to The UNSC fully expected Reach to be found eventually, it's why the winter contingency existed. Do you want them to start breaking down and crying? Cause that would be ridiculous

Attached: 1617875427333.png (1102x714, 1004.86K)

Even the marines don't care that the Covenant are there. Go watch a video of the first mission and listen to the distress call from the marines.

Nah it peaked on the level after that. Then again with OBJECTIVE: SURVIVE

Lone Wolf, sure. But the missions don't seem to give you a sense of urgency all things considered.

The SPARTAN II project turned the subjects into psychopaths on purpose, they were originally intended to be used against separatist revolts in UNSC colonies, so they needed soldiers that doesn't have hesitation or remorse to kill. That's why Halsey was under a Martial Court on Halo 4.

Noble team weren't II's, aside from Jorge
Jorge being the one who has the biggest emotional connection to the planet

>Reach has to fall, but the characters don't know that
They absolutely know a Covenant invasion is basically the end of Reach, Their ships have no chance against the covenant fleet and the only victory they had in space was destroying a carrier by using a slipspace drive as an impromptu bomb.
>I know that we're losing, I want to know if we've lost

>Soldiers are conditioned to be lethal authoritarian pandering automaton faggots.
>Machines are literal automatons.
>Soldiers with cybernetics, acting like fucking machines.
wew

Attached: 1635594416303.jpg (1080x1351, 66.64K)

Winter Contingency just seems like a similar thing to Cole Protocol. An emergency plan for dealing with a retreating fight against the Covenant that they have to expect to lose. Only difference being its for a planet instead of a spaceship or station

>even the still-human marines don't show emotion
Hmmm

Yes but the SPARTANS-III are vengeful war orphans trained as soldiers since childhood (some only have four) even if they not are design psychos are not normal either.

The simple answer to why Reach feels so half-assed is because it literally was, the game only exists because of contractual obligation and Bungie was starting to fall apart from internal civil wars during it's development.

IIRC it was more the fact they were child soldiers that made them socially stunted than anything. There was a very specific genetic requirement to even be a candidate for the SPARTAN-II program and so they kidnapped kids that fit the bill. I don't think there was anything in the lore to suggest they were especially more psychotic or extremely emotionless, just they were extremely well conditioned soldiers. It also helped that they were literally fighting against genocidal extra terrestrials.

QRD on the internal strife? I thought that only arose during Destiny's development.

What is half-assed about it? Meta-issues of the studio aside. Reach was an extremely important military installation of the UNSC, they were already on the back-foot in the Human-Covenant war and the Covenant discovered the existence of Reach so they went for a death-blow. In the long run it was a massive strategic failure because Cortana and Chief got successfully extracted off-planet and set in motion the events of their ultimate downfall.

Reach
>"yeah the covvies are here lol"

>MW2
Has several mini-stories in the radio chatter that 90% of players won't ever hear

Soulless/Soul

youtube.com/watch?v=QV_C0G1KawU

the SPARTAN-II were created to quell rebellions in human colonies, conditioned to kill and repress emotions essentially since childhood

enough about this someone post Kat's ass