WHY IS EVERY FUCKING GAME OPEN WORLD NOW?!

WHY IS EVERY FUCKING GAME OPEN WORLD NOW?!

Attached: 1521835346281.jpg (220x229, 11.72K)

it sounds good in marketing. zoomers, casuals and journos love it because they aren't forced to commit to anything or do any of that pesky gameplay.

Or indie rouguelike

Attached: 22-504683.jpg.jpg (590x410, 72.61K)

>now
lol

Because I like to have a sense of freedom in my games????

It's just so much fucking fun going around a huge map to see what you can find.

Open world is good

>see what you can find
>Every open world game is fucking empty

what was the homogenized vidya meme before open world

Games that are easy to stream and—
OH THANK YOU FOR THE 100 BITS... THANK YOU
women can just yammer—
BIGDEEK69 RESUBBED
*just got out of work*
THANK YOU BIGDEEK69 HOW WAS WORK??

why not?

freedom is when a game has empty grass fields instead of level design, and the more ubisoft towers, bandit camps and korok seeds there are, the freer it is.

Because it's easier to do everything mildly OKish than to exceed at one thing.

>everything is open world
>people complain
>botw comes out
>people now love open world and everything not open world is seen as obsolete
>the next game comes out
>people hate open world again

there legitimately wasn't one to this extent. even the dreaded "brown military shooter" archetype was limited to first- and third-person shooters. the open-world cancer is subsuming the concept of genres entirely.

2d sidescrolling indie platformer/puzzle games

Because the gen you grew up with (ps3 gen) had too many short linear simple games that weren't worth the money

stranger of paradise isn't

Sorry niggers, but open world is the superior game design and it's here to stay

hubs actually require good level design to pull off
open world is great for marketing

FFXIII doesn't have hubs.

>short linear simple games that weren't worth the money
I'd rather have short linear games that release complete and are fun. Then soulless busywork simulators that are buggy incomplete messes

Cluck cluck cluck, Gluck gluck gluck.

Attached: FAAA9C1B-B58A-445E-9A0E-C574668F1E43.jpg (518x331, 27.91K)

The games being short and linear didn't mean at all they were either more complete or more bug-tested as much as I kind of agree on the busywork part.

Fucking Asura's Wrath and PoP 2008 (didn't buy either) had their story endings as fucking DLC for one thing

Jokes on you, I hate BotW and its breakable weapons. If the game offers non-breakable weapons and a decent combat is a plus for me at this point.

>redditjak poster crying about anything at all
LOL

>Open world bad because... um.... LOOK IT JUST IS OKAY!?

>what was the homogenized vidya meme before open world
>NES
2D Platformers
>SNES
2D Platformers and JRPGs
>N64
3D Platformers
>PS1
JRPGs
>Gamecube/PS2
Adventure games, but I'll say this was the one generation without a super dominant genre
>Wii
Motion control minigame collections
>360/PS3
First person shooters
>Current gen
Open world

Money
This is the future you chose

No, it is a shore and most Open World game are lazily make.

>First person shooters
That part's the main one I have an issue with. FPSes in general were already prevalent but after CoD4 came out and was awesome too many games not as good as CoD4 tried to do the same thing.
But as a whole, FPS was not the dominant genre. "Linear adventure game" otoh is more fitting

I agree with you for the current generation but the 360 and ps3 were both absolutely dominated by first person shooters. The millennial baby boom generation was reaching their edgy teenage years and wanted games about killing people. I honestly don't even remember playing a PS3 game that wasn't a shooter.

>I honestly don't even remember playing a PS3 game that wasn't a shooter
idk, there were tons of (A)RPGs, platformers and beat em ups. Way more range than people credit that generation for. I started on PS1 for the record, so I'm not talking from nostalgia for ps3 so much. I prefer having open games to the corridor shit from the late 2000s, unless it's like Vanquish or something

cover-based shooters in tight corridors littered with inexplicable chest-high walls
and before that it was cinematic ww2 shooters
and before that it was mario 3d knockoffs with various cartoon animal protagonists.

haha open world goes brrrr

Attached: brrr.jpg (399x347, 20.25K)