What went wrong with them?

What went wrong with them?

Attached: Square_Enix_logo.svg.png (1280x160, 11.21K)

They lived long enough to be the villian

live service

The merger

They are safay roth?

Attached: this.gif (300x186, 445.96K)

Live service
Can’t get away with tiny budget’s and low scores anymore too much competition

They let people who should never have had leadership roles rise up the ranks by virtue of being there a long time.

Game budgets went up, but they were in the business of developing games that don't reach Call of Duty numbers. Yeah, FF and DQ sell, but be mindful of how long they take to develop compared to yearly releases that bring in even more money. Truth is they're peddling niche games in the grand scheme of things.

Attached: FF12_basch.jpg (312x283, 24.66K)

The EA of Japan
Their one redeeming quality is allowing Yoko Taro to make video games, but even EA has something like that with Josef Fares

EGS. Seriously Final Fantasy Chaos would sell x20 more in steam

They should just stop pretending they're competing with Kojima or Ubisoft regarding technology, help revive the AA market instead, maybe pull up the stupid inflated budgets only for final fantasy. They just lack some serious focus, FF7Remake didnt even use their proprietary engine so I have no idea why they even care for doing this "every mainline FF has to reinvent the wheel" shit. Chaos game will do just fine, their remakes sometimes do well sometimes they do modest numbers, just keep the releases straightforward instead of this GET HYPE RPG OF THE DECADE INCOMING bs.

They peaked with FFX.

They know it will sell more later down the road when they re-release so they'll take Epic's free money now. Problem is you can't exactly quantify customer goodwill and word of mouth. Has there been ANY game released on Epic that went on to Steam and garnered any notable success?

>help revive the AA market instead
You don't understand why publishers don't do this. Because they think in terms of getting all the money they can. Bigger the budget + marketing = more profits.

>Their one redeeming quality is allowing Yoko Taro to make video games
They didn't let him do anything more than mobile games and indie garbage after Automata other than Replicant remaster. They probably don't think much about Taro.

Their recent mistakes? Corporate greed. Their older mistakes? Trying to capture lightning in a bottle too many times.

eh i dunno
It was 7 years from Drakengard to NieR, then 3 more years for Drakengard 3, then 4 years for NieR Automata. So long gaps don't necessarily mean he's out of work.

Did anything go wrong with them? SE can make ANY trash and it will still sell. Sounds to me like they are doing great because the customer is always fucking stupid. Nothing has gone wrong, SE is functioning like how it should. They make shit and it sells wonderfully.

Went FULL RETARD, charging full price for a gacha game aka Chocobo and Babylon

The CEO needs to be replaced ASAP

The merger actually enabled Square Enix to have a monopoly in RPGs. Sure you got pissants like Tales Of series but SE owns FF and DQ and that alone is too much owning an entire genre and Pokemon sure as fuck does not compete with SE's RPG audience. So effectively nothing can kill SE.

That's a corporate look at things, but I don't care since I'm not a shareholder. All I see are shit games and blaming western studios for it.

Yep, I'm only talking common sense here unfortunately. With all the capeshit "investments" we could've had a SE that was twice as prolific as PS1 era squaresoft while maybe even twice as creative or just solid across the board but we all know by now no one who likes videogames is giving the money to these companies to put out these hype oriented products

Nomura comes to mind and no his Kingdom Hearts series is honestly very bad. Pretty looking and decent music due to budget and being considered a pillar franchise, but very damn bad in gameplay and story. And don't bother saying gameplay is great it's never consistently solid.

Yes. They play it too safe and are rotten to the core.

The popularity of FF has declined sharply in recent years, S-E now lives off exclusivity handouts.

kek

When you put it like that it's not likely because the very novelty of putting a game on PC is wasted upon the negative first impression of Epic Game Store. The only thing that hurts more than this? Saying a game is part of Cloud Gaming which SE did recently with the Kingdom Hearts series on the Nintendo Switch which is a huge scam hope gamers don't embrace cloud gaming trash.

Hope you are correct and hope the rest of the FF7 Remake Episodes sink them.

I think the problem is they're stuck between chasing blockbusters and rehashes of their past work. Creativity is actually nowhere to be seen. And then there's also the mobile cancer which caused such damage in the entire Japanese video game industry, but sure padded out their wallets.

Attached: Bravely-default-Brilliant-Lights-have-already-arrived-in-Japan.jpg (2560x1829, 899.19K)