Do you use shields?

Switched from 2H R2s+only use roll iframes for protection to shield+R1 combos and counters, it's slower paced but I'm having more fun. Also jellyfish shield best shield, lightweight, decent stats, colorful and magical. Why does this board hate shields?

Attached: 1647578848463.png (1604x1105, 2.64M)

They gutted Barricade so not anymore

only have the turtle shell on my back for stam regen

Yeah, it's really useful for learning timings against enemies that one shot you.

I just started shield character and that shit is better than my mage and faith playthroughs. I managed to kill that faggot statue wirh 4 imps on first try.

Attached: ELDEN RING™ 17.03.2022 21_53_57.png (1280x720, 2.02M)

>Needing barricade shield

Attached: fingerprint_stone_shield_greatshield_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png (200x200, 18.9K)

This. If you aren’t using shields for utility alone, you aren’t using it for the right reason.

I used the Fingerprint Stone Shield for most of the late game. Outside of shit like Malenia, it genuinely trivializes most fights and bosses. I was able to block basically every single attack from Elden Beast, including the magical barrage, without even a thought. Popping it up to +25 just made it where even a swipe from a dragon only took a tiny pip of stamina off.

I get it's cheesy, but I love being a fucking brick wall against giant monsters. That and guard counter is a fantastic mechanic. The shield is ugly as sin, but who cares when I can tank literally everything in the game.

you can get a 100% physical block shield 15 minutes into the game and guard counters are hilariously busted as long as you use them on the last hit of an enemy's string
why the hell would you not

>using for effects instead of fashion
I don't want to look like a ninja turtle that's my reason not to use it

No, I don't see the point when you can keep rollin rollin rollin rollin

I thought Barricade Shield was buffed?

Getting better parrying stuff, though with the speed of the enemies, they would have been best served using the original Dark Souls parry
DS1 Parry
>Instant
>Could be used on reaction
>Had generous active parry frames
>Could parry the hand or weapon
>Could immediately riposte an enemy after parried
Elden Ring parry
>Can only parry the hand, not the weapon
>Delayed startup frames
>Less active frames for medium shields, making target shields the go to parry shield
>More "Read" based and not so much reaction based
>There's a slight delay between parrying an enemy and riposting them
These are just my complaints about the parry in this game
I'll try out the target shields in this game and see if I have a better feel for them

It's more tactical and feels more like the first time I discovered des and ds1, you feel more like a mortal knight instead of an anime ninja

>Try and watch most streamers and youtube idiots play the game
>90% of them find some massive fucking weapon and two-hand the entire time, or dual-wield katanas
>Get to late game
>Constantly complain about getting hit, about bosses doing so much damage, about how there's never a moment to attack
>Same people often say you can't play the game like older Souls, but then complain about boss balance

I get it's fun to play with these crazy weapons and shit, but goddamn. So much in this game can be trivialized by just putting up a fucking shield for two seconds. Instead, these people try to roll through every single attack and inevitably get caught in everything since the bosses are made to counter panic rolling.

So many infamous bosses I had zero issue with because I rocked a greatshield since mid-game. Only Malenia was a hard counter since she heals through shields, but she's a pain for most builds anyway.

Roll spamming makes me feel like I'm playing competitive super smash brothers or some shit I hate it. Shield chad master race

>I don't want to look like a ninja turtle
Fucking faggot

Attached: DzrBaNOgYKY.jpg (720x540, 121.42K)

I've got a brass shield. It's nice. Good for blocking, good for parries. Nice.

The great thing about shields is that there's no ambiguity about blocks.
You roll dodge something and you sometimes still may get damaged because of bad hitboxes or lingering hitboxes, whether it's your fault or the game's fault.
But with a shield, a successful block is always a successful block.
That's why I prefer shields and blocking in videogames whenever possible.

I use the red thorn shield I started the game with for parries

>keep my shield up in case enemy does a surprise attack
>but still roll into him whenever he does a telegraphed attack
Best of both worlds, basically untouchable unless they start doing AOE shit

That’s the biggest goddamn reason to wear the turtle shield you fucking troglodyte.

>Instead, these people try to roll through every single attack and inevitably get caught in everything

Because shields have historically always been shit in these FS games. That's why people never bother to use them. In past games, even with a super high stability greatshield, the game still felt like shit because you'd spend so much time in blockstun animations. But in ER, because of the built-in universal guard counter, blocking doesn't feel anywhere near as bad because you have built-in punishes for when blocking enemy attacks. Not to mention Barricade Shield.

Not to nitpick, but shields can be pretty finicky at times too. Fucking Death Rite Bird or whatever can eat my greatshield wielding ass. Fucking pecks that seem to hit behind me despite standing right in front of it. That and dragon attacks can be annoying. Sometimes they hit your shield, sometimes they magically fly right behind you knocking you to the floor.

Obviously shields are way more consistent, but the game is still iffy like that at times.

Why would you torture a jellyfish like that, thats very disrespectful to your jellyfish waifu

Shields in general had stability buffed but barricade had its effect reduced from 10 seconds to 5 seconds.

He's being an overly dramatic dipshit.
Barricade has a higher cost and a lower duration now.
That's it.

The fuck? Shields were great in the series. Tanking up in DaS1 was fantastic with a proper greatshield. That and I remember absolutely dunking on people in PvP with Havel's Greatshield in DaS3 because people just couldn't get through the guard.

I had the completely opposite experience. Obviously dodging is always "better", but it's also riskier. Blocking things felt fine since you'd just pop right out after the attack and swipe at the enemy.

what armors look good with jellyshield? i like it but it clashes too much with what i have to use it

jellyfish dont think

jellyfish shield looks like a condom / with blood in it

>pizza time

It's generous enough if you know the attacks. There's a ton of setup parries too, I'd recommend a medium shield (if pve) for those free mid-combo parries.

I made a character with the intention of testing out the viability of heavy characters using shields and poise but my savefile got corrupted. Even at 80 stability many strings just did way too much stamina damage to guard against too, they should ease up on that shit instead of buffing 47 stability shields to 48, that's not going to accomplish anything.
On the current attempt I swapped to guarding with my greatweapon purely because the 2h guard counters look cooler. So back to retarded anime rollspam with the occasional guard counter against normal enemies.

Maybe pic related? Requires completing Sellen's quest in her favor and going back to the original spot you found the guy though. It's a magic focused armor too, so there's that.

Attached: lusat's_set.png (200x381, 104.91K)

I hate that they got rid of the parry animations for curved swords and thrusting swords. If you put parry on them you just swing your arm to the side as if you were holding a shield.

Fingerprint shield +25 and great shield talisman makes your poise 100 and no attack in the game drains your stamina at all.

Can you parry with great shields?
Or is it better to get your best buckler and upgrade it so it'll have more poise?

I hope you fulfill your jellyfish waifu's last wish....

I meant guard boost

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Attached: 1643689357707.jpg (1876x1651, 832.08K)

>There's no invisible/spirit shield (like the darkwraith's hand from DS3) in ER

Jelly it is, but man, I wish hope they add one if there's DLC.

Attached: FKPv5M2aIAANNvm.jpg (540x540, 40.84K)

>can't parry barehanded