Yea or nay:

Yea or nay:

Experience points, leveling and other RPG-lite mechanics in metroidvanias (or similar platformers)?

desu, I'm not a fan. It doesn't kill the game for me, but it just doesn't improve anything either.

Attached: menu.gif (360x200, 13.39K)

Any games like sotn you would recommend? Preferably on ps1, windows/steam, dreamcast or saturn, gamecube or snes

if you don't like rpg mechanics then why the fuck are you playing a rpg?

nay, rpg elements have been shoe-horned into almost very single game in the past few years.

I don't ever want to get to a difficult boss in a game like this and feel like I should go grind to make him easier. I'd rather just know I have to git gud and beat him.

I don't generally like them, it's difficult to balance properly but I guess it makes it so you're always being rewarded for exploring, even if you don't actually find anything, but a simply currency system serves that purpose just as well.

Then don't grind you dumb nigger.

Cut it out. I hate tacked-on systems where they don't belong.

"Experience points and levelling" are the most shallow expression of role-playing there is. In SotN for example it is simply the game giving you the option to grind for slightly better damage and defense. You don't assign limited skill points to make a build like in Dark Souls, and you don't pick abilities out of a skill tree like in Diablo. You simply get interrupted every so often with a little ~Level Up~ chime.

Attached: 1646359822794.gif (357x238, 2.2M)

Who said I didn't like RPGs? I just think mechanics like experience and leveling don't translate into the platformer genre very well. Like I said, they didn't kill the experience for me, they just didn't add anything to the experience either...

Not a fan, main reason I like Metroid better than SotN and other Igavania games.

i prefer them without, because whenever there's rpg elements it often feels like i can't pass an area because my numbers aren't big enough instead of needing to git gud
Also modern tripleA games shoehorn experience and stats so they can peddle exp boosters and paid loot, so i've grown resentful towards them

Without them there is no incentive to kill anything, just run past it like a speedtranny

Attached: D&D_Shadow_player_select.gif (766x442, 228.97K)

Obviously do without when you can, it just adds numbers that need to be balanced later in development. But in castlevania's case they did need an incentive to fight the garbage.

Depends.
>SoTN
It pretty much broke the game, frankly. Shit like this is part of why you can get away with going at it bare handed.
>AoS
Kind of like SoTN, except you can get more of a challenge if you do in fact hold back on what you use.
>CoTM & HoD
Maybe more pronounced in CoTM, but on the one hand, CoTM arguably doesn't even need the rpg stuff, you'd have a well designed game without it that would probably work nigh exactly the same, but on the other, I do appreciate things like killing older enemies faster than before in a game like CoTM. Hod is kind of more like Aria, really.
>PoR & OoE
You may think that since these ones have a hard mode with a lv 1 cap, you don't need rpg-lite stuff, but I guess depending on what exactly you mean by that, Lv 1 Hard Mode is where you'll likely have to use far more of your repetoire and take advantage of stuff like status effects, items, grinding skill/attribute points, and switching up your equipment for different occasions versus just minmaxing stats and running with the weapon with the highest attack.

Levelling up makes backtracking easier, in addition to the new movement abilities you gain.

the way SOTN did it was enjoyable to me, you begin kicking ass, then you're weakened, and then slowly you become even more powerful than before

Unless the game is dogshit with undodgeable attacks and stat balancing that leaves you doing either 1 or 100 damage and little in between, you don't need to grind in an ARPG. Just dont get hit lmao. Like, just dodge.

That's kind of my point. If it's not needed, why is it there?

big number good

Not that user but SotN has you going all over the place back and forth, the item drops and exp are a nice little thing that you get that makes it feel more rewarding to slay monsters, as well as exploring every nook and cranny of the map to get more and more powerful

so play hard lv 1

Leveling systems are always good because they let you adjust the difficulty to a level you're comfortable with without having a difficulty slider. Also seeing numbers go up feels good.

I can't say I see the appeal, but I appreciate the earnestness.

The GBA and DS Castlevania are all alright.

Bloodstained is also surprisingly good, that's on windows