ITT: Games with the greatest feeling of journey and adventure

Maybe in 5-10 years we could replicate feeling of wonder, travelling through new lands, maybe the map could be more long and rectangular rather than square shaped?

Attached: 471[1].jpg (1024x991, 136.57K)

just go outside and adventure wtf

me on the right

Elden Ring

World of Warcraft when it was new and before the community became ass

Me as gondola.

the biggest thing blocking that adventure feel right now is fast travel, and how traversing the world isn't meaningful, it's essentially a pretty loading screen between actually interesting content (Death Stranding had the right idea here)
those things combined with the fact that open-worlds are designed like a bowl means nothing feels like an adventure
it's impossible for me to take the game seriously when I can instantly warp back to The Shire away from Mordor, there's no sense of tension or stakes, no looking back at how far I've come knowing I can't go bakc
also, none of the open-world games besides Dragon's Dogma have companions, so they're lonely. and in the case of Elden Ring which one user already said, there's nothing to do but kill stuff which isn't exactly an adventure

Attached: 1640555689337.jpg (2300x2300, 667.09K)

Fuck off

gondola druid for me

I'm the user that made pic related, and I'm here to say
"No!"
>no party of traveling companions
>no downtime or rest, chances for reflection
>double-jumping all over the map
>fast-travel at any time from anywhere
>don't have to take the environment into consideration
>no need to prepare anything for a difficult journey
>nothing to do but kill things and talk to some bland archetypal characters
absolutely not. it has a surface level beauty to it, that much is true, but it is not The Adventure Game we've all been waiting for. Dogma 2 has a much better chance at that

Attached: yes I know what games are in the pic I'm the one that made the image.jpg (1408x1562, 1.46M)

That's fair, although I had single player games in mind

Otherwise the game I have in mind is Baldur's Gate.

Final Fantasy 12
Linear for sure, but still a fun adventure and world to explore.

I remember some user said that I basically wanted a fantasy rpg based truck driver simulator.
The more I think about it the more I think he's right.
>truck driver simulator open world
>dragons dogma pawn system and combat
>stalker tier interactions and camp outs
>Morrowind's alchemy and magic system
Anything else that would make the perfect game?

Attached: file.png (540x423, 386.07K)

>traversing the world isn't meaningful
>open-worlds are designed like a bowl
Hitting the nail here. Big studios jumped onto open world meme while I think more curated and more linear world with no coming back could achieve much more. It seems like Dark Souls is the closest we had to this kind of thing.
>none of the open-world games besides Dragon's Dogma have companions, so they're lonely
that's a very interesting point desu
also must play Dragon's Dogma finally, never played it yet

Dragons dogma.

The problem is that devs don't want to make it because normalfags don't want to play it, they want to be force fed the game, but at the same time they want to dev to mask it so they don't realize it, like a fussy kid happily eating from a spoon that the parent pretends is an airplane. That's why there's such a big focus on the games being "open and free" that aren't actually open and free in any meaningful way.

An actual adventure would require some agency from the player, some commitment, independent thought, creative thinking and finding solutions, pacing themselves, be willing to miss out on the paths they didn't take etc the actual world itself should a problem to grapple with, which is far too much to ask from a regular normalfag.

Co-Op based adventure RPG could be great, but that's probably too risky for big studios.
I played through D:OS 2 with my pals and it was pretty enjoyable despite it being D:OS 2 (kek) so I imagine an actually good RPG with good world could become a bestseller overnight.

I want pic related

Attached: world.png (3624x2172, 273.75K)

You may try Kenshi.

Elden Ring is the best I've played so far.
>feeling of wonder, travelling through new lands
This is exactly what I feel whenever I enter a new area in that game.
But
It's true, fast travel does take away the feeling of being far from home.

I want the exact same thing as you, although I have no idea what truck driver simulator means exactly. if you're referring to Death Stranding type movement mechanics then yeah
anyway, I think the ideal open-world fantasy RPG would have permadeath and randomized starts
that way the game is more of a story generator, much like Dorf Fort's adventure mode
it also does away with having to contextualize death as a mechanic and why the player can respawn, and obviously makes any combat far more thoughtful
whenever a game has me killing goblins or wolves within 5 minutes a part of my soul dies
also, AI generation seems to have a lot of potential, namely in the form of stories (see: AI Dungeon), and world generation as long as it's stitched together with prefabs

Attached: 1640726515047.jpg (900x562, 117.52K)

Both you and OP are in a desert, OP wants to go to the Arctic, and you're telling him standing under the shade of a palm tree is the best you've got for him

Fuck off

Good one user.
Also fuck eldeniggers.

Attached: 1579637846665.jpg (480x472, 24.68K)

>although I have no idea what truck driver simulator means exactly
I just mean the world. It take place in modern America and you just drive through all the states and streets making deliveries. It's comfy travelling.
>permadeath
yes, with the exception of revive spells or items that are nigh impossible to get
>randomized starts
not sure if you meant stats or starts. If stats I agree, but if starts then I disagree. Starts should be optional, you can choose your background, start off as a vagabond/wanderer, or just select random if you please.

Attached: file.png (960x960, 1.71M)

OP asked for
>Games with the greatest feeling of journey and adventure
>feeling of wonder, travelling through new lands
which ER is great at.

This post , which may or may not be OP, specifically wants meaningful traversal and a sense of being committed to a journey instead of being able to teleport away. ER is bad at that.