Can I play this without having finished Super Metroid...

Can I play this without having finished Super Metroid? Am I missing out on some lore or game design callbacks having played Prime first?

Attached: Metroid_Prime.jpg (640x908, 84.55K)

You don't get desert until you finish your vegetables

Prime is really its own shit, feel free to just treat the prime games as their own self-contained lore.

I think chronologically Super comes later, unless you are implying Super is the first Metroid. And no, you don't really need to.

Pretty sure the Primes come before Super in the canon. Knock yourself out.

Attached: 1552765308746.png (800x800, 287.62K)

Prime series takes place between zero mission and Samus returns

play super metroid last because it makes the rest of the series disappointing by comparison

Prime was my first metroid and I still haven’t played super, so if I was fine you should be aswell.

Prime takes place before Super
There is some lore for the first game like the pirates mentioning how Samus fucked their operation in Zebes but all in all Prime is its own shit with its own story

No you're not missing out on anything though maybe ridley's introduction in prime is a bit weird if you haven't seen him before.
I'd say that both are good games which are worth playing. Personally I think Super Metroid is more fun.
t. someone who's playing through all the metroid games for the first time in release-order, currently at zero mission.

Attached: GRUGAMESH.png (480x385, 333.24K)

Besides the first metroid (and I mean the original and not zero mission), you really don't need to play any of the 2d ones to understand what goes on in the prime games. Also you don't need to play other m to understand what goes on in any of the games. Please avoid other m

don't even bother with 3d metroids, they're junk

Yes. Super is later in the timeline. Honestly, Metroid lore is pretty simple, and continuity is overall fairly strong. The Primes are the only ones that really need to be played in order, because they're a self contained story arc.

You will miss a very cool musical callback in Magmoor Caverns, but other than that, not really.

Even if you haven't they foreshadow it like two times. Particularly with the Phendrana Drifts cutscene.

There's one exception to the strong continuity. But we don't talk about that.

Attached: 1599029123800.png (300x300, 7.39K)

Getting real tired of waiting for Nintendo to port Trilogy to the Switch. Might have to look into... alternate means of acquisition at this point.

No. No we don't.

Attached: lounging.jpg (136x244, 9.62K)

That I know. It's more that if you don't know what ridley is you might be wondering why the fuck samus chases it to the planet.
It also bothered me that you see him like twice early on and then he's forgotten until you get to the end.

Yeah, I know Prime takes place before Super. I was wondering if it does any call forwards to things that happened in Super or references any game design elements.

>It's more that if you don't know what ridley is you might be wondering why the fuck samus chases it to the planet.
To be "fair", really only Zero Mission actually explains the deal between Samus and Ridley in-game. And even then, only in the ending artwork. Not sure why, but it's kind of frustrating.

>It also bothered me that you see him like twice early on and then he's forgotten until you get to the end.
Thank you! It has always bugged me that he didn't show up more. Maybe once per area. Give the impression of a pursuit.

Is Trilogy actually balanced to take consideration of the free-aim controls? Is it unintentionally easier?

THE phazon

The enemies are still quick and aim at you constantly, you're just given the ability to strafe better and get some more hits in, that's it. It makes it a bit easier but this isn't an RE4 Wii situation. If anything it makes you feel more confident to take more enemies on which leads to more attacks flying around to dodge.