Races in vidya

why cant game devs design more unique fantasy or sci fi races (that arent just unintelligent, hostile enemy monsters)? its all just recolored humans.

post what you think are the most unique and creative races from video games. i legit cant think of many.

Attached: 144e31_9421074.jpg (1920x1303, 508.57K)

taurs are for spergs

BotW had a sentient rocks, birds, fish and desert people

Devs are lazy.

Attached: Orz.gif (485x213, 72.73K)

>play Spore
>make bugs
>wow the game is full of cool bugs and bug people
I like Spore.

that's the most creative example you can think of?

bugs are really cool :)
mantid supremacy

Attached: praying-mantis-bugs.gif (498x278, 2.95M)

>mantid supremacy
Based. Take a Spore mantis.

Attached: 501087397973_lrg.png (256x256, 51.75K)

zelda pretty consistantly has a really good selection of non humanoid races.

Attached: zelda races.jpg (301x168, 8.38K)

It's usually not a matter of can't and more a matter of they just don't want to.

Most larger game companies only goal is to make money, and unfortunately, humans (or mostly human) are what sell. Normies can't comprehend having meaningful interactions with anything that doesn't fall under fairly strict anthropomorphic guidelines.

And God forbid them from playing as any kind of weird species as all immersion for them would be lost. It's pretty upsetting but it's just human nature for the vast majority to have a limited willingness to embrace the "other."

1. Money/Laziness
2. Normies who think Elves and Orcs are exotic

splendid

This why put the effort in making something different when you can take an elf color it blue and call it a exotic race.

Zelda in general is a very creative series with its world.
Doesn't really rely on pre-existing myths or stories for it's enemies or locations.

I plan to make a game of my own, a fantasy indie jrpg OFF-like weird thing.
In it I have some plans for unique races that aren't just dwarves/elves/goblins/trolls/etc

>Batfolk
Weird, malformed, bat/human hybrids. They kinda crawl around.
>Beastmen
Bipedal and sentient woodland animals. Bears, Foxes, and Rabbits. Maybe Crows too. Outside of occasionally walking on two legs, they aren't really anthropomorphized.
They only play a minor role.
>Angels
Now obviously Angels aren't an original concept.
But in my concept they function uniquely for angels.
They are pure black and white, made out of pure energy/magic and have no biological matter.
They radiate light and a minor amount of heat, and will burn any creature which touches them (without like a protective glove or something)
They don't have faces. They may have one or two facial features, but their faces are generally completely blank.
And they take a whole range of forms. From the main character angel who's looks like a young woman, two others which are Greek statues type things, one which is a black liquid with a Cheshire cat face which comes out of it, which turns into a realistic human skull during battle to be weird. One's a marionette and the last one is a brain with a hundred hands (and maybe arms)

Attached: AnAngelNamedWar.png (585x647, 541.6K)

Yay, another "ideas" guy....

Attached: 1647382758739.jpg (394x390, 15.59K)

Ever oasis has plant people, rabbits, lizard people, then a completely off the wall race of scorpions using ceramic pots to mimic humanoid form. They even open and close a pincer held in front of their face to mimic a mouth.

Here's the other piece of concept art I've made for it so far.
This is an Angel named Marion. One half of the angel lord Marion and Dominion. And the first half the player will fight.
Yeah ideas aren't worth a barrel of piss normally.
That's why I only bring it up when I think it's relevant.
Once I actually start making it, finishing pieces of art for it, then I can post them more here.
(though that won't happen for a few years probably. I need to learn how to program and then program other games to get experience for my personal dream idea)

Attached: AACW2ndConceptArt.png (738x794, 605.5K)

Simple, old games focused on making a vision so they're filled with developers putting in things they liked such as cool races. Most new games are only about printing money so they go for the bare minimum. Just compare any 90s/early 00s RPG to today. Elder Scrolls is an exception since it held onto it's origins to some extent.

Since Elder Scrolls is the baby of Bethesda, they would never reduce its lore to be just another Tolkien-inspired western fantasy.

>tfw there will never be a fantasy with jelves and porcs.

Attached: iUvJjankwGrEInLahvj6y5O5g4pucrAT5eDkWb9GEwk.jpg (1280x720, 87.98K)

bnuuy

>post what you think are the most unique and creative races from video games.
24 Hours of Le Mans

>jelves
huh?

i miss this lil nigga like you wouldn't believe

Attached: ooccoo_tp.png (750x650, 135.02K)