Critical hits are one of the features that resulted from our focus on pacing...

>Critical hits are one of the features that resulted from our focus on pacing. The Critical hits system attempts to slightly influence the highs and lows of the game by increasing the chance of a Critical hit based upon the player's recent performance. In summary, the better you're doing the more likely you'll continue to do well. This helps create those rare high moments where a single player goes on a rampage and gets three or four kills in rapid succession.

Attached: tf2 dev commentary critical hits.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BzFi0iFoLoU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Literally the only issue I have with crits. All well and good when the game was new and players were of fairly equal skill but with the state of the game now, it's not hard to find a 5 hour player and a 5000 hour player participating in the same match. Giving topscorers a bonus to crit now only contributes to steamroll fuckfests.

Attached: 1557722689904.png (1108x673, 162.56K)

red team is the obviously correct choice if you want to win

the only good players are:
Red: johnny, xXx
Blue: Aegis
jose would be god tier if he were a few years older.

>In summary, if you pick soldier you're more likely to get crits.

>red goes all-in spawncamp mode
>jose dead ringer backcaps the last point
nothin personnel...

The problem here is that valve intend tf2 to be casual friendly game where everyone have relatively normal fps skill so that everyone can have this special moment of satisfaction from random crits. many years later the tf2 player base become more and more skillful to the point where new players can't stand experience players anymore.
in short rework random crits.
>how?
make it so with each kills and the better the player do it lower the chance of random crits this would make inexperince new players stand a chance against these highly experience players

>punish players for doing well
glad you're nowhere near any development position

in other words, make random crits TRULY random.

Reminder that if you complain about your opponent criting more than you that they are simply outperforming you :)

is there a cutoff for this?
or does it mean if you're on a 100+ killstreak you crit chance is also at 100%

gee if only there were some kind of internet-based resource you could use to check the mechanics of a game

>johnny
>good with that avatar
no way

>valve intend tf2 to be casual friendly game where everyone have relatively normal fps skill so that everyone can have this special moment of satisfaction from random crits
>Valve: "The Critical hits system attempts to slightly influence the highs and lows of the game by increasing the chance of a Critical hit based upon the player's recent performance"
Its just another thread about crits in TF2 with no consequence.

Attached: 83B4ciIVpQw.jpg (994x583, 146.12K)

no

Red are winning because Vicen will have a kritz Uber permanently up his ass from the pocket gf

It's based on damage dealt in the last 15 seconds and yes it has an additional cap.

In general, it's nearly impossible to hit the 800 damage dealt in the last 15 seconds (critical damage is only counted for the base damage dealt).

The single class most capable of reaching that cap is spy (backstabs do count the enemies entire hp bar), but as his melee cannot random crit (melee experiences a much larger crit % swing) and is rarely using his revolver (and his two most popular revolvers cannot crit), this doesn't really affect gameplay.

>spoonfeeding

>The base critical hit chance for standard weapons is 2%. This is modified by a bonus percentage based on how much damage the player has done in the last 20 seconds, which scales from 0% at 0 damage to 10% at 800 damage.
took me -3 seconds on Bing

>his two most popular revolvers cannot crit

Cannot random crit*

Because they have a guaranteed crit method.

This is the problem with all Valve games. They make them as these casual games for fun and then they abandon them saying ''that was fun, let's do something new''
But the valve fans are autistic faggots. They take every single Valve game insanely seriously. They speedrun Half Life, they speedrun Half Life 2, they screech autistically while playing Counter Strike, they CYKA BLYAT while playing Dota 2, they treat Left 4 Dead as a fucking e-sport and kick people when they aren't using the most meta thing.
Valve fans are insane. Valve as a company and their fans live in two different worlds.

TF2 is a casual shooter. They fucking added Medic and Engineer so low skill players can feel good. This is a casual game designed for casual fan. The fans treat it as an e-sport. When Valve added hats and training the autistic Valve fans started treating the trading as an e-sport.

The odd thing here is I see slightly different numbers in different places and am unsure of which is correct.

Here is a good 15 minute video on (most) of the things that go into the random crit mechanic.

youtube.com/watch?v=BzFi0iFoLoU

>Medic and Engineer so low skill players can feel good

I would not agree with that assessment. Just because they require less aim does not make them lower skill.

Having different skillsets isn't, "HURR DURR IF YOU'RE BAD PLAY THIS" and you can clearly see that in your examples. If medic was intended for bad players it wouldn't be the most difficult class to play.

> They speedrun Half Life, they speedrun Half Life 2
>speedrunning autism is unique to valve

>The fans treat it as an e-sport
user that's a problem with literally every multiplayer game that gets big

People who hate random crits are mostly annoying tryhards and compfags. They're the reason fun weapons like the Ambassador, Sandman, the Ullapool Caber, etc. were buffed. Not everything has to be 100% balanced and fair to be fun.

>Be medic
>Fully charged kritz
>Caught in 1v1 with demo
>Dodge all four pipes and land two melee hits
>He crits with pan
>I'm already in bed and sleeping by the time he taunts
TF2 is by far the least fun game to play support in that I've ever encountered.

Listen to the fucking developer commentary.
I know that in the autistic powergaming metafaggotry climate of a valve game it can be difficult to play these roles, but they were designed for low skill players to feel good.

>they take every single Valve game seriously
Yeah man Ricochet's still thriving lmao

Read it again, slowly and carefully.

Speedrunning is more common the more autistic the fanbase. Games played by dudebros tend to not get many speedruns. Something like Sonic, Minecraft and Zelda are the most popular speedrunning games. Half Life is up there too.

This is one of those rare commentary nodes that makes absolutely no sense. At this point every class in the game sans the medic is capable of getting multiple kills quickly with stock weapons. You don’t need random cries to empower players, they already feel good by getting the kill on their own.

I played Ricochet a few times when it was active. It was full of tryhard valve fans taking it too seriously. Whether or not the game is dead now is irrelevant to valve fans being autistic faggots.
Valve also made that top down alien shooter. That too was full of tryhards taking the casual game too seriously.

Do you normally expect to win 1v1 as support vs power class in any other game?

>dudebro games dont get speedruns
Call of Duty gets a shitload of runners

I did not actually respond to the OP but to every faggot in this thread complaining about random crits. I was agreeing with the TF2 devs statement.