This has been the go-to boss design philosophy for Fromsoft ever since Artorias of the Abyss and fights have only...

This has been the go-to boss design philosophy for Fromsoft ever since Artorias of the Abyss and fights have only gotten more "shounen-anime" over time. That's not to say that bosses like this can't be good. At their worst, they're camera-eating monstrosities with infinite stamina that blatantly read your inputs, cancel their recovery animations and have nonsensical tracking but at their best they're fair, challenging, and have great presentation. False King Allant is a great boss. So are Artorias, Ludwig, and Sister Friede, among many others, but they're also undeniably samey.

In a 2009 interview about Demon's Souls, Miyazaki said "When designing the bosses, I made sure that they would be varied and exciting. I prepared different gameplay strategies for each one so that players didn't get tired of the same fight every time. We wanted to surprise players and encourage them to figure out different tactics, to think on their feet."

If the Dancer of the Boreal Valley had been in Demon's Souls, I probably would've loved it. It has an intriguing visual design and the unconventional attack animations present a good challenge. The reason I don't enjoy it is because it's in a game filled with bosses just like it. FromSoft have long since figured out that one way they can punish players who carelessly roll around all the time is to hold the anticipation phase of attack animations for about half a second longer than you'd expect. They've completely abused this trick to the point where most bosses seem to have at least a few of those attacks and many basic enemies do as well. By the time you reach the Dancer, you've already had to adapt to a huge number of unconventional timings designed solely to catch you out. The thought of learning even more weird attack animations so I can roll and stab my way to victory yet again just isn't all that appealing anymore. When it's a foregone conclusion that every fight will be a dodge-and-punish affair, they lose their impact.

Attached: Elden Beast.png (500x500, 22.09K)

This is why my favorite Souls bosses ended up simply being the ones with best presentation. Astraea is more memorable than every post DS1 boss.

too long didnt read op got filtered and/or is angry because he has to be a le epic contrarian and shit on anything popular lol

Attached: tibia-mariner_ground_boss_enemies_elden_ring_wiki_300px.jpg (300x169, 8.11K)

love this lil nigga like you wouldn't believe

literally impossible

Does anyone have a webm of this mad lad's geyser attack?

MatthewMathosis doesn't have a more worthy opinion than some random retard on Any Forums, and I say the games are good.

>toots
>dies
>doesn't elaborate further

That video is from 2017 so it no longer applies.

Kneel, you have been BTFO
The only thing he was right about is Weapon Arts implementation
They are still not the bridge between melee and magic and complement to combat that the game needed

Attached: Arcane Kinship.jpg (900x900, 33.47K)

>tooooot

Matthew is cringe but your video is literally autistic if you can't understand what he means by "sequels".

Unironically the most imaginative boss they've made in a long time

How so?

Getting slammed by a fucking boat is peak entertainment.

>your video
Stop with this meme

It's not my video
The dude went autistic over the term sequels because Matt wants desperately to make every Souls game play like Demon's Souls.
Dark Souls, since the first game, have been already more combat oriented.
Even the "gimmicks" in DS1 were combat gimmicks like staircase/ladder for the demon bosses

I don't care if you aren't literally him, I just want him to know he's autistic after he looks himself up in the archive.

it really is a great boss, i was very impressed with the mariners even if they are supposed to be easy

>video has 150 views
>starts being spammed here outta nowhere
>2k views
Really makes me think

>because Matt wants desperately to make every Souls game play like Demon's Souls
He said that if you aren't making the combat and boss designed better, at least focus more on the adventure/immersive element, not that every From game should be like DeS.