Ray Tracing

Your opinion.

Attached: geforceLogo.png (663x216, 8.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bpNZt3yDXno
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

unbased and gay until I get a gpu

ray tracing = good
nvidia = cunts

What was the best game that did this? Cyberpunk? Even then I thought that while it was nice its just reflections.
Even in a world where the city is filled with neon lights it didnt wow me, the ssr in that game was good enough even on the ps5 version vs the pc with every rtx option on.
Would love to get some recommendations.

>What was the best game that did this?
Future games will, once new Ray Tracing cards are out and everyone can buy them (*nervous laugh*)

>even on the ps5 version vs the pc
This is because like always consoles are holding everything back. Wait until they get ray tracing (and everyone can buy them *nervous laugh*).

Nobody gave a shit about it until nvidia started shilling it
I still don't

Performance isn't there yet but lighting is one of the most important aspects of getting good graphics, from a technical perspective. Having lighting that actually looks correct and good is great, but the performance isn't quite there yet.

SSR sucks ass and is never accurate. There are many situations where it's basically completely broken, it just shows some shit on a reflective surface so it doesn't look conspicuously empty in the hope that you can't notice how retarded it is because you're not looking carefully.

Attached: cyberpunk_reflections.webm (853x480, 2.94M)

Only good if the entire game is built from the ground up around it. Most games still use it as a meme for only selective parts of the lighting with traditional "fake" lighting still in place making for worse performance while looking the same.
An example of good implementation is metro exodus enhanced, a bad example is cyberpunk 2077 where RT can even look worse since the enviroments where not tweaked enought for it.

>Nobody gave a shit about it
Ask anyone who is into 3D animation or blender.
>until nvidia started shilling it
The eternally seating AMD fag.

>Even then I thought that while it was nice its just reflections.
Theres a lot more to it than this. Colored lighting can reflect off matte surfaces with raytracing, and also ambient occlusion is just a screenspace effect that (poorly) emulates true global illumination that raytracing allows for. Shadows can also be improved in quality with raytracing but traditional rasterized shadow rendering is very advanced now so the benefit isnt very noticeable. Finally, audio can be raytraced to give proper attenuation in complex interiors.

Attached: bdpt1.png (548x188, 16.67K)

I think that its growing pains. Look at MK 3 VS MK 4. The MK 4 models look worse and more unrealistic then the MK 3 2D sprites.

Ray tracing has the potential to basically be real life. Simply place a lamp and give colors to things and boom finished VS today's 101 tricks to make games look realistic.

Attached: 0_EyUYMVpTt29ED9iS.jpg (640x480, 50.85K)

>Nobody gave a shit about it until nvidia started shilling it
youtube.com/watch?v=bpNZt3yDXno
People have been talking about it being the "holy grail" of lighting solutions for over 15 years now. It's only when nvidia started shilling it that we started getting push back against it. Before then everyone unanimously agreed it was an objective improvement and you sure as shit didn't have retards going on about how baked static lighting is superior to the exact same lighting except dynamic now.

>traditional "fake" lighting still in place making for worse performance while looking the same
Ray tracing performance is much worse than traditional lighting. The benefit is improved quality, not performance. You want to use ray tracing sparingly and only where it makes a difference as it simply isn't nearly as fast as traditional lighting.

>Ask anyone who is into 3D animation or blender
They are too busy making money, they don't play games
>The eternally seating AMD fag
Never owned an amd card and never will, but nice try

Good tech. Unfortunately, with current card prices over the roof and fucking cryptominers around, it's not a priority.

Too resource-intensive for what it does

higher end AMD cards can do RT though, but once again, RT is a gimmick.

Realtime raytracing has applications beyond video games. Its extremely useful in professional 3D modeling, and machine learning works on the tensor core components of GPUs which are a necessary hardware component of realtime raytracing.

So was tessellation when it first came out, and now we have dedicated tessellation hardware in every SMU and support for it in every game with no performance cost.

>they don't play games
>I literally do not understand that they use RTX cards to render their animations
>I literally do not understand that the same ray tracing in RTX cards can be 100% used only for 3D animations and to render faster.
>I do not understand that 3D animation was using ray tracing before any gamer heard that word.
>I will speak like I know people who do 3D animations.

>Good tech. Unfortunately, with current card prices over the roof and fucking cryptominers around, it's not a priority.
Basically this. However lets pretend the world did not go to shit in 2020

cool, but devs should not use it as a reliance to speed up their work flow. instead of dropping in a light source, pumping up the ray count, and raping your frames, they should be using it extremely sparingly as an approximation to then build physically correct scenes. performance comes first, graphics secondary or tertiary.

also, fuck nvidia. they should decouple their GPU's into raster and RT cards respectively. they should not be forcing people to buy hardware that they may or may not have any intent of using.

If you think RT is a gimmick then you're as dumb as the people that called unified shaders, tesselation, and async compute a gimmick.