This generation was a regression...

This generation was a regression. In the 6th gen you could have amazing looking games like Metal Gear Solid 2 or SSX 3 that also ran at 60 FPS. In the 7th gen, it's either graphics or performance, you can't have both or at the very least no one CARED about having both anymore. And most games still didn't even look as good as Metal Gear Solid 3 or Resident Evil 4 until a few years into the generation.

Attached: ps3xbox360-1l.jpg (868x502, 38.52K)

Do you seriously believe every 5th gen game ran perfectly. The 2 other examples in OP literally ran like shit on PS2

You must be 18 to post here.
Hurling this complaint at 7th gen is a joke mostly because 5th gen games were even worse in this regard as 3D stumbled onto the scene. There were even some SNES games attempting 3D, and it looked, ran, AND played like shit all at the same time.
The 7th gen was chasing HD graphics to the detriment of performance. The 5th gen was chasing 3D to the detriment of everything.

MGS3 ran at steady locked 30 on PS2, and RE4 was an exclusive GC game, and ran very smooth on the OG system.

what's with this 5th gen meme all the sudden?
You do realize that's a completely different thing, N64 and PS1 era?

Attached: sh3 vs Condemned - X360 vs PS2.jpg (1280x1443, 192.88K)

On average, games ran better on 6th gen hardware
Take a game like Drakengard 3, runs like total dogshit on PS3. Drakengard 1 runs fine on PS2. Bayonetta runs like shit on PS3. Clover games run perfectly on PS2. This is more developers' fault, but it's a trend.

5th gen 3D gaming was only good in the arcades on hardware such as Sega Model 2 where the games ran silky smooth.
Inb4 pc
The average schmuck was playing Quake in 10fps

Who the fuck brought up 5th gen

>Hurling this complaint at 7th gen is a joke mostly because 5th gen games were even worse in this regard as 3D stumbled onto the scene. There were even some SNES games attempting 3D, and it looked, ran, AND played like shit all at the same time.
>The 7th gen was chasing HD graphics to the detriment of performance. The 5th gen was chasing 3D to the detriment of everything.
You are intentionally leaving out something very important here, you disingenuous faggot

Mentioning MGS2 and SSX3 which are both 5th gen games retard

7th gen was retarded but, 5th gen was even worse where now all of a sudden peak 2D gaming was now shit and you should instead play this 5fps 3d slogfest

Attached: 1647283197778.jpg (419x333, 28.87K)

Wait I’m retarded disregard

This user is talking about 6th gen, presumably. I don't know how he could make this mistake twice though, wtf bro

Haha yeah I wonder what happened between 5th and 7th gen that could have fixed these issues...
You know how much worse this is making 7th gen look right? That you have to compare it to technology literally 10 years before it where games looked like this? Instead of the gen that came right before?

Attached: TR1.jpg (1280x720, 93.36K)

Yeah the Dreamcast was the first proper home console where 3D could be done right
Inb4 N64 throw in more than two onscreen enemies and some action onscreen and the hardware shits itself

PS1 had Crash Team Racing which I think looks and runs pretty impressively for the system
N64 has Mario 64 and Zelda which don't really need a lot of stuff on screen, but are full 3D adventures. Zeldas ran at some pretty ass framerates though.

Game developers on N64 were obviously limited by the cartridge size limitations.
There is a reason why the typical N64 game has a relatively well detailed character model that goes beyond both PS1 and Saturn combined with a landscape that looks like something you would find in a Panasonic 3DO game

What impresses me the most about 6th gen games is how good they look when upscaled.

Attached: ps2-x360.jpg (3264x3151, 3.09M)

Part of the reason 6th gen games were able to iron out the issues of 5th gen is because resolution targets were still low. Games were targeting 480i on the higher end for PS1 and, with a couple outliers, 480p was the best you were getting on PS2. Shit, I'm pretty sure there are a couple PS2 games that ran at 240p.
720p not only is a much higher pixel count, they also needed it to look good on much larger and sharper 16:9 panels.

Don't care boomer, still my favorite gen.

>MGS3 ran at steady locked 30 on PS2
you fucking liar, that shit ran horrible but i still loved and enjoyed it.

It always felt like to me that the PS3/360 gen was trying to have graphics like the PS4/xbone gen but couldn't but they just tried anyway. While owning a PS3 all i was aware of was how TERRIBLE the frame rate was in basically most video games and when i finally got a PS4 that seemed to end. Yes you had games on PS4 that were 30fps but nothing on the levels of what was just deemed acceptable on PS3, games like Assassin's creed running at like 15fps

Let's not forget Bloodborne mate

one game mate. How are you not understanding my point that most PS3 games ran like bloodborne, it was the rule not the exception.