Why am I hearing more and more about "addition retcons" recently?

Why am I hearing more and more about "addition retcons" recently?
There's nothing additive about saying "the previous lore is incorrect and ours is correct."
Is it just cope? Are they this disillusioned? I'd at least have some respect if they had the gall to say "Yes it's a retcon, yes it's contradictory, but it's better."

Attached: additionretcons.jpg (351x186, 21.17K)

It's not an addition retcon when Someone "Invents" Jet in a prior game but you claim Jet existed before the bombs dropped.

I don't think there's anything wrong with an addition retcon in principle. I have no idea how it applies to this game though.

It’s a cope to make more people brown without triggering a defense response
>we aren’t erasing culture
>we’re expanding upon it

If a term have a negative connotation, all you have to do is to invent a new one to convince people that the "negative aspect isn't so negative after all". People do this all the time, mostly because they want others to think they are intellectuals.

>ctrl + f for addition retcon in video comments section for a post you saw
>post a screen shot of ita asking why you keep seeing it when literally no one else notices
Get the fuck off this website

It's a cheap way to expand your game universe by giving characters a history that wasnt there.

Just going
>Oh yeah remember the old games? This character was always there and participating in events. You just never saw them or heard of them.

Attached: Stop speaking english now.png (1100x1080, 1005.81K)

>Oh yeah remember the old games? This character was always there and participating in events. You just never saw them or heard of them.
That's literally not a retcon

It's an addition retcon

>changing the continuity of a game two console gens after said game came out isn't a case of retroactive continuity

Attached: 1643482757733.jpg (565x600, 81.78K)

Had you ever considered that I used the highlight functionality, you absolute mongoloid?

I haven't heard this term, but can understand where it comes from.

"Retcon" doesn't only mean changing things that happened before, but also expanding on things that happened before without changing something

ie-
>Retcon:
>"Bill stabbed Joe with a knife"
>then next game "Bill stabbed Joe with a spoon"

>Also a recon:
>"Bill stabbed joe with a knife"
>Then next game "The knife was secretly a magic knife that absorbed joe's soul"

So the later would be "addition retcon"
The first would be "replacement"

retcon is shorthand for "retroactive continuity". most people only think it's subtractive, but it's actually any change to a plot that happens after (hence the "retroactive" part) the plot is through.

Like basically if the details in a later work completely change context of the events or characters in an earlier work, its a retcon.

So like, having a new perspective from another character like wouldn't necessarily be a retcon but could be depending on how it was done

But something like Naruto, starting off explaining how this evil 9 tailed fox spirit attacked the village. Then later changing it to where that fox was actually perfectly good but being mind-controller.
That's a retcon. Even though it didn't "technically" change anything, its still a retcon because of how it changed context of the events and even the nature of the characters in it.

See, I just don't get how you can have "additive" and "subtractive" retroactive continuity. Either you change something or you don't. It seems to me like a euphemism/coping mechanism.

Because you can change without changing. Like some sort of stupid trickery in writing. They're both signs of shitty writting, but some people are OKAY with additive form

Like even I AM YOUR FATHER from star wars is a retcon.

Is it though?
It was said george lucas had the whole story in his head, and he started with episode 4 due to budget constraints

Yeah, I sure do love how Bathesda does retcons, it's obviously so much better. Now I can know that - rather than not existing at all - the devs just interesting things like a jungle or buildings made of glass described to be 'like insect wings' DID happen, but stopped being interesting by the time I actually got to be there.

>It was said george lucas had the whole story in his head
Whatever was in his head is not what made it into 4,5 and 6.
4 especially was pretty much entirely made by the editors, who cut and restructured at whim and went almost entirely off script in order to salvage the movie.

There is no such thing, retcons have to retroactively alter previous continuity this is just brainlet shit people spew because something violated their headcanon through story expansion.

Because we live in a world where 99 percent of writers are bad so we must cope with their inconsistencies

>It's not an addition retcon when Someone "Invents" Jet in a prior game but you claim Jet existed before the bombs dropped.
He just reinvented Jet.
Why is that so hard to believe faggot? Simultaneous discovery happened all the time in the world before globohomo