Many modern FPS games like Halo, Doom, Dying light, Fortnite ,Overwatch ... Etc are adding graping hooks

Many modern FPS games like Halo, Doom, Dying light, Fortnite ,Overwatch ... Etc are adding graping hooks .
What do you think? Which game had the best implementation?
What other FPS games could be improved with a grapple hook?

Attached: maxresdefault (31).jpg (1280x720, 81.82K)

Too many games are adding pull cables rather than grappling hooks.
I want the pure freedom to swing around at a fixed length in addition to ascending or descending. Gimme that Just Cause kino

Swinging hooks are definitely better but are a million times more difficult to program

Attached: 1616080140874.webm (1280x720, 1.13M)

i present: the (almost) PERFECT hook:
>not a static line pull, momentum and gravity affect you during it
>letting go before coming to a stand still saves momentum
>stops pulling at a certain range, turning into a swing hook
>not a ridged line, can stretch or retract freely
>the faster you move while swinging somewhat extends the pull range due to counteracting the pull force
the only way id improve it for general use is a button that locks the line's length, preventing the line from stretching or retracting until pressed again.

Attached: best of both worlds... almost.png (524x761, 498.24K)

>grappling hook
who the fuck made this meme so popular? attack on titan? overwatch?

Attached: 1641299691909.png (628x708, 229.39K)

I don't like vertical movement so it isn't for me

>What do you think?
its cool mobility,im in more of the quake school when it comes to mobility generally,but i like it.
>Which game had the best implementation?
depends on the goal.
>What other FPS games could be improved with a grapple hook?
played a quake mod with a grapple and it was super fun.
why?

Team Fortress 2

Quake 2, zoom zoom

spider-man

same reason for every other meme in gaming happened with game mechanics:
>few game studios add mechanic as a novelty/extra thing
>people like mechanic and put it in their own games, keeping it fun and unique in the process
>fat cats see mechanic is popular
>fat cats tell their studios to implement that mechanic
>studios adding it out of being forced, not out of care, thus failing to replicate what people love about it in the first place
>because mindless normie swarms will buy anyways fat cats think this mechanic is what sells and will keep putting it in new games
>its now in every single AAA game and plays exactly the same
>normie indie studios/normie AA's see this
>implement it in the same. exact. fucking. way.
>anyone with half a brain now hates mechanic due to overuse and lack of originality

I just don't like it. I prefer to move around horizontally around cover and just shoot.

>Which game had the best implementation
Titanfall 2. A grappling hook is a bad meme if the game doesn't have a decent movement system it can bounce off on.

It was a parasite in children 3D platformers, surprised to see it spread to FPS now. But I think grappling is cool, it's going to die out however, like the bow trend that was around for some reason. Seriously, what the fuck was that about

Attached: SpongeBob_SquarePants_Battle_For_Bikini_Bottom_-_Rehydrated_20200615195116.jpg (1280x720, 222.35K)

why not take that rocket launcher and shoot it at your feet?

>bow trend
explain

I like how the Fortnite ones blend with the verticality of building and give you an alternative mechanical response to a builder instead of just building.
But sadly those things last a seasson, get removed in the next one and then reintroduced. I'd love if we could just keep the Spider-Man swinging next season.

It's an element that's fine, but anything designed specifically with grappling in mind doesn't interest me. The types of shooter I like most are Nolf and HL2. It's just an entirely different style of game.

There was like bows in every shooter suddenly. Recent example would be Fortnite and apex having bow weapons nearly at the same time

Attached: Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_3_Art_Karakter_Design_Studio_0-M01.jpg (1200x600, 256.21K)

Like months next to each other, it's weird.

Attached: months.jpg (1959x870, 499.68K)

I remember Crysis 3 being all about that shit as well, however older that was.