Why aren't video games fun anymore?

Why aren't video games fun anymore?

I used to care so much, but now everything is just so bland and uninteresting despite games objectively getting better.

Attached: 7b2.jpg (680x512, 25.95K)

go to a fucking farm or something, I dunno

I've been scrolling Any Forums since about 4PM after I got home from getting beers for my folks and I've been waiting for my friend's to get ready to do some gaming. It's almost 1AM

Have you guys tried playing games with your dads?

Attached: EWYvknPXYAAAcKW.jpg (709x454, 292.03K)

This is just how life is. Cope.

I haven't spoken to my dad in 15 years

It's depression. i used to play games for the fun of it but now i am doing it to cope

Any Forums mogs twitter in pretty much every way, imagine getting your entertainment from that heavily curated shithole

Cause ur a normie who can't find the good games due to your shit taste and addiction to the triple a industry.
Now fuck off.

Same, depression’s hitting harder lately and I just end up playing Fortnite or going out bowling.
I bought Elden Ring the other week and I’ve still barely touched it.

Interesting question. I've been playing a shitload of elden ring although it's a good game I'm not sure it's fun. In fact, this describes pretty much all of my game playing experiences for the last 10 or so years. Last game I remember having actual fun with was Mario galaxy 2. I remember playing and thinking it was actually fun and it made me reflect on the notion that I haven't really had fun with games despite playing them a lot. Oh well, guess games are just something to do to pass the time now

Hot, but last time I played vidya with my dad was on my Wii

>I just sit and scroll
Cut the internet.

>normie
normies don't like space simulation trading games or Factorio
now fuck off and die

I pirated elden ring and I find it actually fun and challenging and look forward to playing it in between VR and working from home

Why do you play games in the first place? The answer to that question should lead you to why you don't find them fun anymore.

If you play video games (and games in general) because you appreciate their construction, mechanics, themes, tone, unities, and interfacing while relishing the experience of interacting with all of that, you will literally never cease to find fun in them because so many titles have something that will spark joy inside of you.

If you play games purely for entertainment, then you're going to quickly become desensitized, jaded, cynical, and bereft. You can't stuff a void in your life with video games and expect such a short-term panacea to continue to function.

Attached: 1591761660143.jpg (240x318, 20.16K)

What if I really enjoy researching the history of vidya but am stuck mostly just playing them for entertainment?

Games are fun.
You're not.

Games aren't getting objectively better though. However if you can't find any games you like than you're either just unlucky or truly just depressed.
For example despite me also hating most releases these past years I did enjoy Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk despite both games having huge flaws and areas where they ''should've'' been better. However I'm also aware how broken Cyberpunk released on consoles and no matter what you think about modern games you can't claim that games are 'objectively better' when they usually release in a broken state and the best case scenario is they get an buyable alpha pre release version you can buy while the worst case in simply a broken release version. Games objectively used to have fewer bugs and needed to be actually polished before release...

play old games?

Then you're more like a historian and you'd probably find immense joy in doing something with that (writing, video essays, etc.). The fun from playing games should derive from the research you're preforming while doing them. However, I guarantee that you will only find such joy in this research if you actively *do* something meaningful with it.

I've observed that most people that are jaded from video games see them only as a quick fix for recreation or escapism and subsequently overuse them for that purpose--that's unsustainable. I feel bad for such people. Then again, most don't appreciate film, music, or books with a critical eye--most aren't going to bask in the beauty of an amazing shot, or a fantastic scene, or music theory, or obsess over the construction of a beautiful sentence.

>Games aren't getting objectively better though

...which is true, thus making

>play old games

the valid conclusion. My top ten list of games are all from 1996-2002, and of the next ten, only two fall outside the range of 1995-2005. I played the vast majority of those game years or decades after their original release. Most of the objectively best video games were produced in the decade between 1995 to 2004--so if you haven't played all of those many, many titles from the "Golden Age," then you also have no basis for complaint.

Attached: 1591912030024.jpg (370x370, 42.9K)