What killed boomer shooters?

What killed boomer shooters?

Attached: 11933673675_f186bbe183_z.jpg (640x427, 113.81K)

just post it

Attached: nikocado rock.png (560x419, 340.07K)

It feels like you're on skates while moving

Boomer shooters thrived in an era where there wasn't much variety in game types, let alone 3D games. The more gaming technology advanced, the more they diversified and thus the less boomer shooters have been made. That coupled with slower shooters that aren't as movement based becoming popular. None the less, there remains a niche for boomer shooters and a few good quality titles have come out.

Attached: NikocadoAvocado.jpg (1280x720, 126.26K)

Halo

Attached: my first fps.jpg (602x792, 187.71K)

me, i did

Call of duty
Every shooter over the last 15 years has tried to copy it down to a science

Unironically CS 1.6 and Dota.

Consoles, boomer shooters are all about flying around the map at Mach 10 and shooting at someone behind you, I think it was Yahtzee who said playing a shooter on console is like you're moving around in a shopping trolley, or something. point is it's bad, hard to shoot and move in any direction that isn't forward at the same time.

Attached: CS.png (761x375, 90.59K)

call of duty

In mainstream? CoD
In general? Nothing really. Some good ones are still coming out

This

Play the original Quake and Unreal Tournament games, night and day compared to the stuff now

god i miss battlefield 2

Half Life

Gaylo and Half-Life

I'm going to assume you specifically mean games like Quake III, Unreal Tournament, and all of the other Quake clones out there and NOT single player retro fps games.

The primary issue is accessibility and the evolution of the FPS genre. Games like Quake are really hard when you start out. The game design is based on equal starts where the better player will always have an advantage over the worse player. Map control, positioning, tracking, flicking etc are all skills that are absolutely required in order to win games. There are very little tools to use at your disposal to close the skill gap because the games aren't designed with comeback mechanics or equalizers that modern day fps games have.

Additionally, games like Quake are very old, and if you want to get into say Quake Live, Diabotical, or Quake Champions, you will be playing with people who are very skilled and have been playing the game for 20 years. This puts off zoomies because modern game design has conditioned them to want instant gratification through design choices that close the skill gap like Ultimates, abilities etc.

One other thing that really kills traditional AFPS games is the community itself. Don't get me wrong, I love playing games like Quake and Diabotical with my friends, but the community for these games are terrible. They can't decide what they want in an AFPS game. Either its too similar to quake, in which case they will make the argument to just play quake III or quake live, or it's too different than quake so they don't want to play it. Its a vicious cycle and the victim is the AFPS genre.

I would like also like to note that its not over for the AFPS genre. The comparison I like to use is the fighting game community. Fighting games don't pull in numbers like fortnight, but they have their own niche community that likes playing the games. There is nothing wrong with having a smaller community as long as they play the game.

(1/2).

Attached: 1646089863072.jpg (414x282, 16.8K)

Nu Blood and that faggot Dave Oshry making shitty "SO HECKIN' SELF-AWARE" Quake clones designed to appeal to their clique of pretentious Twittershitters.

People are still seething about Halo 20 years later.

Attached: F447DE5D-B3CF-459C-88BD-43B15BC520F1.jpg (1024x879, 145.04K)

But Halo is a boomer shooter