ITT: The original game is better than the remake

Attached: 46676423.png (400x500, 352.91K)

All of them
fpbp
/thread

top: souless

bottom: LVDOKINO SOVL

Bottom is the remake? wtf happened

there is not a single remake that is better than the original, I don't care whether it's REmake, Zero Mission or anything else, the original is the pure original vision; REmake might be a better 'game' and entertainment product, but it is not a better Resident Evil artistically, since the only Resident Evil game that is wholly and artistically RE, is, you guessed it, Resident Evil
even if the remake is made by the same director and the exact same team, a game is shaped by the constraints and time of its creation and the people within that space in time, and no matter how careful a dev might be there are design choices no matter how small and seemingly insignificant that will be lost along the way, and it's the combined total of those choices that forms the work itself

Attached: 1632680549264.png (1440x1620, 1.6M)

this retard didn't play games before the SNES and doesn't realize games used to "look" (such as it can be called) like Ultima and Mystery House

not sure what that has to do with what I said, but if you're saying that games deserve remakes just because they ought to look 'better', then I disagree

>Whatever you now find weird, ugly, uncomfortable and nasty about a new medium will surely become its signature. CD distortion, the jitteriness of digital video, the crap sound of 8-bit - all of these will be cherished and emulated as soon as they can be avoided. It’s the sound of failure: so much modern art is the sound of things going out of control, of a medium pushing to its limits and breaking apart. The distorted guitar sound is the sound of something too loud for the medium supposed to carry it. The blues singer with the cracked voice is the sound of an emotional cry too powerful for the throat that releases it. The excitement of grainy film, of bleached-out black and white, is the excitement of witnessing events too momentous for the medium assigned to record them.

Attached: 1641261868087.jpg (3412x1230, 796.55K)

Nah, REmake and Zero Mission are the definitive ways to experience those games. Full stop.

In all your pompous and shallow spew of words, meant to sound intellectual. You forgot something called "the intended vision". REmake is the perfect example of a game's original vision being actually fully realized without the compromises and limits of the original's time. Just for that, REmake is a better than the original, not only as a game, but as an artistic creation.

I understand what you're saying, I just fundamentally disagree, and comments from the lead visionary themselves wouldn't sway my opinion either, regardless of what they think the definitive piece is
Vincent van Gogh isn't a fan of Starry Nights and said it was a failure, yet many appreciate it as a great work of art and count is among his finest
George Lucas might think that the remakes of Star Wars are the definitive versions, yet many think they're shit
Lorne Lanning said that Oddworld: Soulstorm is the Abe's Exoddus he originally envisioned, yet it's a disaster of a game

Attached: 4546.jpg (1200x675, 159.89K)

bottom makes him look like a crazy old dude looking into the wrong end of the telescope, jus sayin

OG is better, there’s nothing wrong with the original graphics as it was made for the game at that time, if the remake wanted to be better then they would have completely optimized all the graphics as opposed to lazily adding smooth texture mods and such

In that way don't you think it doesn't matter if it's a remake or not? The better version of the experience is better. I usually think remakes lose something in the process (or aren't trying to be the exact same thing) but that doesn't mean they can't be the best version of that particular thing.

No

>don't you think it doesn't matter if it's a remake or not? The better version of the experience is better.
that's a fair point actually yeah. I do agree that REmake and Zero Mission are both better as games, but at the same time I wouldn't say they replace the originals entirely
the problem with remakes is when the 'objectively' inferior remake is praised as being better, when often times that's simply not the case (even though the only real metric that counts is which one somebody prefers more)
that type of thinking feels like the death of art though, when you throw standards out the window and say that art is in the eye of the beholder
who knows, I'm just some autist at the end of the day

Attached: 1587389903409.jpg (1920x2152, 623.07K)

the 3DS version is pretty good with the restoration patch

which is better, the short story 'who goes there' or the thing?

Zero Mission is really a new game. It is so far removed from the original as to be something else.

With that said, the original Metroid is also dogshit.

>that image
fucking hell 'realistic' lighting is a mistake

Only good thing about the HD version of Type-0 was HD panties.

That's how I think about it too. I just got around to playing through AM2R recently if we're using Metroid as an anecdote and while that was fun, I don't think it replaces the original at all. (The devs for it also clearly think so if they tell you to play the original, too.)
Zero Mission is similar but I don't think the original holds up at all, much less than 2, which is why I don't recommend it. So I can understand at least when people say it's the definitive version of the game because the original experience sucks ass to play. Even still though you should recognize the original game for what it is and what it did. Remakes aren't built off of nothing nor are they usually "replacements" and people don't realize that.

Attached: file.png (2000x1000, 1.41M)

The problem isn't that the lighting is realistic, the problem is that it's completely different. Top is gloomy, apocalyptic, ashen air and warm light. Bottom is for some reason hellishly bright cool light and nothing else