How would you make a game about liminal spaces?

How would you make a game about liminal spaces?

Attached: WyGHRyTno_JDi4cpug4U5eNWxyWPkXyWGrEyBOEwbBQ.jpg (1078x809, 116.12K)

this thread will be nothing but AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for 200 posts until it archives

What a shame. Abandoned malls and empty locations are cool

Attached: bg01nwgy5ll71.jpg (3024x4032, 1.05M)

Fuck is that creepy.

That pic chills me to my core for some reason.

AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NIGERO MAN

Attached: pancake.png (816x1356, 1.07M)

IS THAT A HECKIN CORRIDOR TO AN UNKNOWN AREA?
SAVE ME NIGGERMAN!!!

But really any game that wants to be about 'liminal spaces', their main goal would be tension and atmosphere. You want the player to both appreciate the area they're in, and dread moving forward.
Anticipation is the main driver behind it, and you can see it well executed in many classic horror games when they tease meeting a new monster for the first time by showing traces of it's passing or have sounds from off screen.

how the fuck do i remove google lens right click bullshit, I just want my regular reverse image search damn it

the perfect one already exists

Attached: 1624818155077.jpg (480x360, 19.81K)

pay off to anticipation undermines games about liminal spaces yet not having that payoff feels cheap.

Walking simulator. No enemies, but you find a gun. And there's bullets and health packs littered around

But there's no enemies. :)

Attached: sDvBoY4ZccQwI0T-5ynmNHB8j97Q25shECnUJsLlwDE.jpg (1024x768, 128.7K)

If you're on mobile, open the image in incognito

Attached: empty mall.jpg (900x902, 189.62K)

In addition, a game that wants to be about environments can't just be a pure walking simulator cause many players will be moving forward to the next objective.
Making the environment the objective will slow players down and essentially force them to appreciate what you've built.
A fair example of this is Infra, a game where your objective is to photograph infrastructure damage at government properties. It gives the player that collectible itch and causes them to scour the environment, taking it all in.
Giving the player a camera in general is a great way to nudge them towards stopping and appreciating things in any genre, especially if there's feedback from the game for taking photos, such as dialogue flags, collectables, or even just a chime to indicate the player has succeeded.

Attached: lvs94ypy2k1iwv7lwmy2.jpg (1807x1196, 238.71K)

Attached: 2018-03-10.jpg (750x562, 117.62K)

Attached: 2018-12-07.jpg (750x1000, 166.02K)

>Namco Museum
Holy shit I haven't seen this in ages. I loved how each room had its own theme based on the game

Attached: 2019-03-24.jpg (750x422, 89.08K)

Is that the Namco Museum?
It has a really comfy atmosphere to it.
If I ever made a video game it would probably be a walking simulator set in dreamscapes.
And just to cater to that demographic that gets scared of them, I'd have the option for a 'nightmare mode' where there is a 1% chance everytime you enter a room that a monster will start stalking you.

I dunno, I feel like a big problem would be it's runtime. Like, to make an actual game game (4+ hours) seems a bit hard, and I don't really think you could keep the atmosphere up for that long.

I'd start it off in a regular mall or something, and the introduction is rather mundane. You're out with your family / friends in a mall. You go into the changing room to try some new jeans. You come out to show them, but once you step out, the place is EMPTY. You then try to look for other people, quickly discovering the entire mall is empty. You try to go outside, but the doors are locked. You try to break one of the windows or doors in panic, but they're too strong. As you traverse through the mall, you find new floors and new places that shouldn't be in a mall. Eventually, there's some kind of thing stalking you but you NEVER get to see it (directly). Game ends with you finally getting out or dying, who cares

I'm fascinated by pictures like these.
Shit nobody would have a reason to take a picture off yet here it is.

A game centered around exploration, like Fragile Dreams for the Wii.

I thought she was a jav actress

Yume Nikki already exist. It literally what it is about, going from one place just to find the next.