What are some ways an FPS should reward exploration?

Just replayed Doom Eternal and HL2:E2 and noted how Eternal gives you permanent stat boosts or tiny abilities to help personalize your play style, while HL2 just gives you refills on ammo and health, etc. That second one is pretty lame, so I wanted to know if one of you geniuses could come up with something better.

Attached: sentinel crystal.png (800x450, 191.39K)

it's an FPS nigger, you should start with a pistol on each level and if you explore you might find a shotgun, ect

FEAR had permanent Health and Slowdown boosters hidden all round the levels, which was kind of neat.
But I think that the best reward is either alternative paths/flanking routes or unique ways of getting through/solving challenges. Maybe you find a box of incendiary rounds that let you set a part of the environment in fire to your advantage, or a tool needed to fix the elevator to make it to an alternate path. Shit like that.

By hiding a good gun. Or ammo for a good gun. Or a health kit, because just regenerating is for pussies.

You mean losing my weapons after every level just so I can find them again and feel slightly satisfied as a result? No thanks, especially if it's a game with a sizable amount of weapons. Maybe at the start of a new episode like old games, but not at the start of every level. Fuck that.

That's pretty much what all the Deus Ex games do, except IW and the bosses in HR. Granted they're built around stealth too so they have to account for that in most cases.

Kill yourself, retard.

That could really work in a strictly linear shooter. Neat idea, user. Thanks.

a neat firing position or quad damage pickup

Secret level

Early access to powerful gun for short amlunt amount of ammo would be cool

>/solving challenges
maybe it's just me, but I don't go out of my way to find secrets because the shit they give you (health, armour, surplus ammo) on top of what you already have just makes the game easier. I mainly mean shooters like DOOM
I don't mind them in games like NV where a secret might mean a unique weapon you can't get anywhere else

When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was master chief holding Cortana's big futa cock.

Attached: Looking.png (512x368, 276.45K)

Fuck... I see it now.

Attached: horrified bruce.gif (300x200, 1.57M)

Attached: 1562551707917.gif (600x663, 1.53M)

i dont like permanently increasing stats in games. doom's isnt so bad because it goes from 100 to 200 but games where you start with 20 health and in the end have 3197310972310 health are dumb.

i'd rather the game reward you with consumables and cool totally OP weapons with limited ammo. i want games to promote more high-risk-high-reward strategies (for example doom forcing you to get in the face of enemies to get health\ammo\armor or horizon zero dawn forcing you to run next to super strong massive enemies to pick up OP weapons you shot off of them). and i think it should be with stuff you find from exploration as well.

better to give the player ultra powerful but limited use stuff (with no permanent upgrades) he has to manage than just the shitty stuff some RPGs do these days that is basically do stuff and become more powerful in some boring loop.

this

Attached: They-Hated-Jesus-Meme-Template-on-Most-People-Rejected-His-Message-2.jpg (1080x1080, 140.46K)

Remove the map. Exploration then becomes part of the core gameplay.

i hate that shit
i like to explore in games but rewards from it make you stronger which makes most games too easy. i either have to gimp my own character by not taking exploration rewards or have boring fights.

exploration should give you lore\worldbuilding stuff (NOT collectibles with text\journal entries, if you're not gonna put some effort into making some art or recording a voiceover dont bother) and interesting equipment side grades and alternative ways to resolve situations (NOT just easier ways).

Attached: Jetpackgathering.gif (1024x768, 135.32K)

this desu

Attached: 1646955963715.jpg (500x520, 70.01K)

this but the game has to be designed around this idea. a good example is subnautica you have no overall game map but you can do stuff like put beacons around notable places you visited to help you navigate and construct small basers with radars to help scan a limited range and give you a 3d map of the area. if you see some cool cave or something on the 3d radar scan you have to memorize where it is when you go explore it.

i think its one of the games that did exploration best

Attached: oss0pzpokyxy.jpg (1920x1080, 313.7K)

any idea how to get this game to work in vr? I have an oculus quest 2 and after getting out of the life pod the first time the controls just stop, motion and controller.

no idea i havnt touched vr in years
but i think games with tacked on post release vr support are probably bullshit you need to build such a game from the ground up for vr

I dunno, usually I agree but rez infinite is great in vr. But doom vr makes me nauseous and can't move fast enough.