Why is left considered an "open world", but right isnt?

Why is left considered an "open world", but right isnt?

Attached: Elden-Ring-Vs-Dark-Souls-1-1600x900.png (1600x900, 1.99M)

Left has worse level design so it's considered open world.

Attached: 5646546584654654.gif (500x281, 1007.84K)

I've been legitimately wondering the same thing. Like, do only games with open field sections qualify as "Open World?"

Sheer scale, the fact that you can't do anything of consequence in areas that you might immediately have access to, linear intended progression path up to the Lordvessel

The most complicated Dark Souls 1's nonlinearity gets is choosing whether you want to go to the gargoyle bell or the Quelaag bell first and almost all players are going to go to the gargoyle bell just because that's where the game nudges you along

>do only games with open field sections qualify as "Open World?"
Yes.
DS1 is an open-world game up to the point of reaching post-lordvessel content.
Similar to how Elden Ring is an open world game up to the point of reaching the gate area that requires the two key components to open.
The main difference? Elden Ring has a ton of pointless shitty empty fields that you have to eun through. DS1 doesn't.

Open world has no design. It is just copy and pasted bullshit to make you think like you are being fullfilled by pointless busy work. Right has actual level design.

Boy do I have news for you about the focal point of each Elden Ring region

Kill yourself.

Not until you take the blow to your ego that "legacy dungeons" are apparently inflicting, I'll only kill myself when you learn some humility

It's mostly about the presence of large, open spaces with large amounts of optional content. Dark Souls 1 has interconnected areas, but they're generally pretty tightly designed and overall more linear and there's much less side content. Which isn't a bad thing, because Elden Ring is glutted with samey reused assets in a lot of the side content.

The dungeons are mediocre.

>Elden Ring is Open World
>Dark Souls is Open Ended

Attached: flat,800x800,070,f.u5.jpg (619x800, 130.39K)

They're about par with prior Dark Souls levels.

open world = large empty area with shallow game play and significance that requires extended real time to traverse

Stormveil was great. The rest were pretty average.

I don't know when open world suddenly just meant sandbox. A real open world would let you go straight to the end of the game right from the beginning.

You can do that in Elden RIng.

Because right is a metroidvania

>metroidvania
Point of interest - small connection - Point of interest
>open world
point of interest - VAST LANDS - point of interest

The former gives a game a better pacing but feels small and cluttered while the latter gives a sense of scale and grandeur but can get dull and boring between stuff.

Both have their qualitites but i prefer metroidvanias.

because one has dungeons connected with big open fields inbetween while the other has dungeons connected with hallways

kys

Because right is a Metroidvania