>be one of the most successful game studios of all time
>create several beloved, revolutionary IP's in a short span
>have the opportunity to become the next Blizzard
>everyone is eagerly awaiting the next genius installments of your franchises
>shitcan it all to open an app store
>occasionally crap out a half-assed tech demo
What the fuck went wrong?
Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=1xiengwqh64

Attached: Valve-logo-.1.jpg (620x455, 39.65K)

what happens if i spin that Valve?

They saw what the future of gaming held and rather than creating Half Life 7: GOTY Remastered Definitive Edition or DotA 5, they decided to make their money through digital distribution which is much more consistent.

Nothing went wrong with valve.
Other game companies that keep shitting out boring titles are what's wrong.

It would be very painful

>occasionally crap out a half-assed tech demo
desk job is probably the best controller introduction ever. that's not saying much, but for a tech demo, it certainly wasn't "half assed"
I personally haven't played half life alyx, but from a couple spoiler free reviews, it certainly doesn't sound "half assed". Just graphically its in the top 5% of all VR games, maybe 10% of all games.

>have the opportunity to become the next blizzard
why would anyone want to steal gabens breast milk

>>have the opportunity to become the next Blizzard

is that supposed to be a good thing?

Valve want to be technology company focused around games rather than just a games company.

They are about setting new industry trends and mainstreaming revolutionary technology around games and entertainment. Hell Gaben wants to push away from Steam Deck and VR to capitilize on Brain Computer Interfaces that will allow users to control movement and actions with their minds and feel sensations on their body.

It is if we're talking about pre-2016 Blizzard.

>Brain Computer Interfaces that will allow users to control movement and actions with their minds and feel sensations on their body.
this is so terrifying and makes me want to disappear from this planet forever

>What went wrong?
Instead of devolving into a shell of their former glory they just gave up. They know they can't complete any of their games in a satisfactory way, so instead they just run steam, collect easy money, and do pet projects from time to time.

blizzard hasn't been worth a damn since like 2007

>to capitilize on Brain Computer Interfaces that will allow users to control movement and actions with their minds and feel sensations on their body.
What's scary is this has already happened and we live in the false reality. Even that was not enough so we will dive into another false reality. We cannot escape our desires and never learn, Buddha was right.

plz valve do not become the next blizzard

>but from reviews, it doesn't sound half-assed
>proceed to half-ass your support for it by only praising its graphics, even saying top X%
sounds half-assed to me

It's all been downhill since Left 4 Dead 2

Attached: valve-games-plus-bonus-651938-1638233005(2).png (950x1041, 1.08M)

Overwatch was fine at launch, Starcraft 2 was good, and Diablo 3 managed to redeem itself over time. I would say the decline of Blizzard happened a year after Overwatch's release.

Why haven't you killed yourself then? I'm serious.

I'm fine with this. They are a unique company. Instead of crapping out new editions of Counter Strike or DoTA like CoD does, they maintain a large and competitive player base by keeping the same game and periodically updating it. They have a solid distribution system and they also try their hand at experimental games and demos. They could be doing much worse when you look at other devs.

You can try it but you'll simply wake back up! Scary stuff I know but you literally cannot fucking kill yourself until you understand how this system works. Go ahead cut your wrists open you'll black out then wake back up in the womb! Real life is a fucking delusion but we can't even admit it.

All those were, at best, popular but mediocre. Those games are like the equivalent of pop music. Sure, lots of people enjoy them, but they're not anything special.

The decline of Began right when Activation absorbed them.

you should actually play half life alyx

Attached: 20210209223042_1.jpg (1022x1022, 131.34K)

They had to maintain 3 huge multiplayer games, that likely cut so deep into their development that they barely had any time to develop anything else because they didn't want to hire so many people for the company just to maintain those games. Gabe is just a typical nerd (the best fit for a videogame developer in my opinion) amidst a rapidly-monetized industry that has gotten so popular that greedy corporations have started pushing the boundaries for how much shit they can get away with until the customer says "stop that" and at the same time new customers get used to the shit they're pushing the boundaries with and thus enable even more boundary-pushing because it's "not so bad compared to now". They stopped making constant updates for a few multiplayer games and suddenly they managed to get their shit together and make Half Life Alyx, which is unfortunately a tech demo.
I really just worry about Valve's ownership when Gabe steps down, it's obvious he doesn't want to give the company away to tech giants but when he passes ownership to someone else they might. I hate the idea of Steam owned by Microsoft, Google or Amazon.

Attached: 724023231.jpg (460x460, 23.94K)

They didn't really shift gears away from Windows game development until 2012. That was when they had a meeting with Microsoft where they openly discussed their plans for Windows in the future as a closed platform that runs office which made Valve re-examine the PC gaming industry. Valve decided that there needed to be a gaming oriented open platform so that the vast library of PC games couldn't wind up like the library of a discontinued console when the new system has no backwards compatibility.
This isn't entirely altruistic since they obviously have a storefront that they want to keep running, but they do seem to be showing off the benefits of a fully open PC platform really designed for gaming with the Steam Deck.

How wild is it that a major AAA game launched with a win32 version, and it runs better on Valve's win32 than Microsoft's.