What do you mean by Immersive Sim?

What do you mean by Immersive Sim?

Attached: C233D2DE-F989-4ECC-8CA3-0AAE021B876F.jpg (1027x704, 239.47K)

What an arbitrary method of categorizing immersiveness. Absolute dogshit chart.

First person games that are too much of shooters to be called rpgs and but still have plenty of rpg elements.

postal 2/3 are immersive sims, prove me wrong

Immersive sims are sim games that are somehow not immersive. That is why they need to call themselves "immersive", so that idiots think that they are actually not just playing a normal FPS with light roleplaying elements.

Genshin is my favorite immersive sim

Immersive Sim is a way to design games, not a style of game unto itself. You can classify both The Elder Scrolls IV and Thief under that title, but they're clearly distinct from each other entirely in their genres, and even how they achieve that status of being an Immersive Sim has little overlap. Also, the name is really fukken gay. Having the world react to what you do isn't a matter of immersion, and the term gets confusing as actual immersive games that simulate the world are often far removed from what one would call an immersive sim

"I liked it enough to forget about other games for a while"
that's literally it

Games where you crawl in ventelation shafts

if it has a keypad with the meme number it's an immersive sim

perfect immersive sim game structure:
>character creation (you have no idea how useful any of the stats or skills will actually be)
>quick intro (skippable)
>instantly thrown into the first level, equipped with basic tools and given an objective (no tutorial or quest markers)
I will now buy your game

Attached: 1615443823403.jpg (625x625, 81.01K)

So are we hyped for Weird West?

All it means is open level design. That's all it's ever meant. The rest is malleable.

It's literally just a marketing term.

>muh gorilla
Baby's first Red Faction game.

Structure neutral, ingredient purist. Come at me.

not a genre

what type of immersive sim is tetris?

Attached: butthead.jpg (900x900, 74.04K)

Immersive Simulation is one of the dumbest terms out there. It could be anything but is only used for single player action-adventure games

I get wanting to rebrand certain types of games but "immersive sim" says fucking nothing about what it actually is

Brehs I just love emergent gameplay and systems that interact with each other. It's so much fun

>It could be anything
Anything that is both 1. immersive and 2. a simulation. That really narrows it down a lot.
Says more than MOBA really, or "character action game," or roguelite, or any of these meme genres people are pushing.
Metroidvania is okay.

A design philosophy (not a genre) where instead of creating specific pre-set interactions, developers create independent systems that can interface with each other in ways they didn't initially anticipate, allowing for creative use on the players' side.
A good example is to compare Sekiro and Thief.
In Sekiro, you have a grapple hook that has a specific interaction with pre-set anchors throughout the game. If they want you to get up somewhere, they put an anchor there for you.
Thief has 2 separate systems that interface to
>surface geometry has various tags that dictate its properties, such as how loud it is when you walk on it, how it directs sound, and how penetrable it is by arrows
>rope arrows, if they penetrate a surface, spawn a cylindrical ladder entity right beneath the other end, allowing you to move straight up under any surface that you can stick an arrow in.
The latter allows you to consider the problem as "how can I get up there?" rather than "how am I supposed to get up there". That's the heart of it.

Attached: ImSims.jpg (2000x857, 523.9K)

They should be called 0451 games instead

Roguelite is literally just a watered down version of a watered down clone of a game no one has even heard of