Are people starting to wake up to the fact that open world design is nothing but a fucking waste of the player's time?

Are people starting to wake up to the fact that open world design is nothing but a fucking waste of the player's time?
At least Elden Ring has good combat (unlike vast majority of open world games) so it's not a total waste of time but good God how much better the game would be if it just had carefully crafted levels that didn't waste your time.

Attached: 1625231520945.jpg (1280x720, 89.22K)

>At least Elden Ring has good combat
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Open world was a good thing. Immersive RPG feeling.

user people like open world games *because* of the empty bloat. They enjoy just walking around absorbing the atmosphere of the game world.

>preferring corridors over open world

Attached: 1646909374944.jpg (480x513, 30.55K)

your straw man is pathetic lil zoomie

It's either open world or corridor.

If all open worlds were as well made as this the genre would be great. Unfortunately most Open Worlds are an excuse to not design elaborate games.

its not ubishit open world so its good

I doubt... you could even imagine it.
>See a bunch of Skeletons guarding a corpse, kill them and find a Poisonbloom in that corpse.
That which commanded the stars.
>See a bunch of Poison Mushrooms guarding a corpse, kill them and find an Arteria Leaf in that corpse.
Giving life... its fullest brilliance.
>Go up a remote cliffside and see a clever drop with a hidden corpse next to a firecamp, find a Turtle Neck Meat in that corpse.
THE ELDEN RING!!!
>See a bunch of Bats guarding a corpse, kill them and find a Golden Rune (1) in that corpse. Exact same thing happens less than 5 minutes later.
OOOOOHHHHH, ELDEN RING!!!
>See a bunch of Highwaymen guarding a chest, kill them and find 5 Mushrooms in that chest.
Shattered...
>See a bunch of Wolves guarding two corpses, kill them and find a Glowstone and a Golden Rune (1) in those corpses.
By someone...
>See a Giant Miranda Flower and a bunch of small Miranda Flowers guarding two corpses, kill them and find an Immunizing Cured Meat and a Golden Rune (2) in those corpses.
Or something...
>See a bunch of Demi-Humans guarding a corpse, kill them and find a Hefty Beast Bone in that corpse.
Don't tell me... you don't see it...
>See a bunch of Demi-Humans guarding a corpse, kill them and find Crab Eggs in that corpse.
LOOK UP AT THE SKY!
>See a Big Land Octopus and a bunch of small Land Octopuses guarding a corpse, kill them and find a Golden Rune (1) in that corpse.
It burns...

Die

>elden ring has good comba-
Bullshit.

Attached: Jack_from_Stranger_of_Paradise.png (1089x2935, 1.94M)

It's so retarded. Dark Souls and Bloodborne had incredible atmosphere without having you walk for miles of empty content and copy pasted padding. I hate open world tards so much.

the hateboner Any Forums has on open world games is unjustified. just because assassins creed and rdr2 suck it doesn't mean that good developers cannot make it work. when done right, open world is a plus, and both user reception and the sales speak for themselves.

Its not done right, after the first half you keep running into the same recycled bosses and enemies a million times, making exploration feel like tedious padding.

Ubidoft games have good reception and sales too, retard.
>muh done right
Exactly, if done right is shit like , then it's a shit genre that needs to die.

i cant

>"Woah, this place looks interesting, I wonder what's over ther-"
>*same recycled dragon boss you already fought a couple dozen times engages once again*
It's no masterpiece.

Attached: 1616955965725.jpg (708x1134, 387.6K)

>open world has trivial elements
>this makes retards seethe and shit their pants

>People think a game is made worse by having 50 times the amount of trivial content it'd have if it wasn't open world
>This makes retards seethe and shit their pants

>"I can't learn to simply ignore trivial elements in the open world because I have no pattern recognition or priority filter"

This is the best game I’ve ever played, it makes every other open world seem like dog shit, you are most likely just an absolutely seething tendie

I like it but I am worried they'll never be able to make a non-open game again because people will see it as a step back, even though it's just different.

>I can't accept people thinking a game is made worse by having an added element of the player needing to skip 20 to 60% of its content instead of just playing tge damn thing

Holy shit tendies really are seething that they can’t play this game huh?

>be irl
>see a crack in a wall, nothing there
>see a bunch of people talking in a group, they're not even guarding anything
>find an unlocked front door, the house is just a regular house with no key items
>see a bunch of cars packed together, they're all locked with nothing in them
>go into the sewers, they're all copy-pasted all over the world and there are no interesting items

Not everything is supposed to be relevant in an open world.
You're supposed to learn what to ignore.

Tendies nonstop shill BOTW, which is also open world garbage, though. Stop deflecting.

The problem is that content can never be unique because it's always more efficient for devs to just repeat it, and then that takes away your sense of wonder at exploring. When you start in Limgrave it's all exciting and fresh, you don't know what you will find and everything is novel. By the time you hit the third area you're not thinking "wow! I have no idea what is out there and can't wait to find out!", you're thinking "ah, there's some ruins, so I know there's stairs and a fight/chest underneath...there's the glowing candlestick, I know the ghost will take me to a cave...there's a hunchback statue, he will point me at catacombs...ah, a church, time to fight a buffed regular enemy inside and get a sacred tear...there's the erdtree, let's beat the avatar guy and get the physik tear" etc etc. And this is when it gets boring. A good open world game would for every new area introduce a whole new range of activities but the work involved in coming up with ideas and then actually realising them is too time and resource-consuming. So every open world devolves into tedium after the first area.

It's an open world, the vast majority is supposed to be irrelevant most of the time.

How is skipping content supposed to be a plus in this game, as opposed to the obvious minus it is?

Yeah, that is why it's a shit genre that shouldn't exist. Let alone be considered an upgrade over the absence of filler and padding.