Why do dpads universally suck? I just want a directional input that is actually comfortable to use

why do dpads universally suck? I just want a directional input that is actually comfortable to use

Attached: twarren_xboxseriesxcontroller_VLS_3616_2_4.jpg (1200x795, 94.23K)

You like that bitch

And i want games that are actually good.

See? All of us want shit we can't have, deal with it.

a thumb for directional input just doesn't work

Perfect side arm

Saturn D-Pad
SNES D-Pad
High quality fighting gamepads like Hori Fighting Commander

Probably some others, but just get a hitbox or stick if d-pad input is your priority.

I really liked that D-Pad though. It's great for input accuracy and I like how you rest your finger inside it instead of on top of it. Other d-pads feel clunky, but that one lets me do full circles or potbusters with ease.

The modern D-pad is a vestigial remnant of a time where games actually used it for movement instead of menuing.

If you want a good D-pad, you have to go back a few decades. The Saturn had the best D-pad, while the D-stick found on the Neo Geo CD/pocket and PDP Versus pad is nice for some types of games.

Stop buying shitty Western controllers then

Attached: CB35CD6A-5417-4583-B3E7-63E0184A52C4.jpg (2121x1474, 212.82K)

Yo McDonalds

I love my Switch but that's not an example of a good d-pad.

Best d-pad ever made.
PS2 d-pad is a close second.

Attached: dual action.jpg (300x300, 15.22K)

the saturn is not a few decades old bro, it came out jus-
>the saturn came out 28 years ago

Attached: 1612266582234s.jpg (250x166, 5.11K)

that controller d-pad is so shit that you have to take it apart and mod it so that it doesnt input diagonals accidentally. the good thing about that controller is the battery life

I'm not even sure what people want in a dpad anymore. When I had a Xbox series x controller like the one in the pic there I thought the dpad is excellent. Same for the PS4 controller I now have. What do people expect/want?

They seemed to make a conscious effort to make it better after the original xbox control was so bad, but bottom line is that it's in an awkward spot. A controller has to pick what gets the prime real estate, the stick or the dpad and xbox choose the stick.

I haven't use one but this d-pad looks really comfortable like you can drag you thumb around with no sharp edges like (op) and or ledge/bumps like nintendo d-pad would be good for fighting games in particular
YWNBJ

Attached: Xbox-Elite-2-Review-Shot-04.jpg (1920x1080, 528.76K)

that's too circular for my taste, nothing beats the series x controller imo

I've tried the dish, it's terrible. The D-pad in general is awful, far too clicky, it requires too much force.

For modern games? It's great, because D-pads are only used for menus and you no longer have to do stuff like switch directions quickly, you want solid cardinal inputs.

For it to not be mushy and diagonal accuracy.

I hated the d-pad on the Series X controller upon looking at it, but using it to play SNES games is fucking kino. That d-pad is great, one of the best.

Razer Raion had a really nice feeling dpad

Also the good thing about dish shaped d-pads is you don't actually have to press down like on other d-pads where you have to push down diagonally or hover your thumb over than press down with
With a dish if you were to drag your thumb in any direction your thumb will meet with the curve and press the button
Yeah I agree Microsoft d-pads are way too clicky

This. Snoys like to criticize this dpad but I’ve had no problem with it.

every dpad had its flaws to me until the series x controller came out. it really is just a perfectly nice controller.

If all you know is low quality d-pads you don't have anything better to use as reference so you'll think there's no problem with it. Once you're used to a good d-pad you can't tolerate anything that's not good.

both the pro and dualshock have shit dpads. xbox series x is the only good one on the market right now.

They should just be individual buttons. It's too easy to make mistakes with a regular d-pad. The ones on the Switch are decent, but a little small.

individual buttons make directional inputs in fighting games cancer.