Why are modern consoles so fragile with a tiny battery life?

why are modern consoles so fragile with a tiny battery life?

Attached: 61vi4-7L0qL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1200, 126.75K)

wish i knew

Attached: EosuZZU.jpg (1603x953, 113.91K)

I sure hope you aren't implying the gameboy had a long battery life.

They've got a ton of shit to power.

over 10 hours with the batteries that came with it.

Exactly. Short. This wasn't a time when you just plugged in an AC adapter and recharged. You bought new batteries and they weren't cheap. You're easily spending like $10-$20 a week on batteries.

>why are modern consoles so fragile
$$$
>with a tiny battery life?
battery technology is practically at its limit and can't get smaller for more capacity. It's up for the device and software to be as optimized as possible to reduce power consumption in the first place but even then you can only get so optimized. Unless we make some world shaking battery breakthrough and it doesn't get buried by lithium jews, then 2 hour lifes are basically going to be standard for anything that has to run a GPU.

Because li-on was a fucking mistake, and is really just a consequence of planned obsolescence.

The CORRECT way to treat batteries is to have a ubiquitous cell type with trusted manufacturers. We had that, it's called a fucking AA cell. I buy eneloops and other high quality made in Japan rechargables, and they're fantastic. Will they eventually die, after a few thousand cycles like all batteries? Sure. Then I'll pay another dollar for a replacement, instead of giving a chink 15 bucks for a "replacement" for a handheld or controller proprietary battery size that winds up being a cheap fake that dies in a month.

>Because li-on was a fucking mistake, and is really just a consequence of planned obsolescence
It's a hell of a lot better than Ni-MH or Ni-Cd was but that's probably well before you were born so you don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Actually fat game boy and game boy color had like 15 to 35 hours of battery life depending on the batteries. Is it wasn't like you were playing 8 hours straight in most cases.

It's the big screen, big screens are fragile and people are always demanding them larger. Look how small the window is on your GBC vs a Switch, they take up most of the front of the handheld. That is before we get into all the extra holes in the shell for extra buttons and the more complicated chips and wires inside. Before the big screens the hinges were also weak points. As for battery the more powerful chips draw more power as well as that large screen that has to stay lit up as well.
Could they make them more solid with drop proof glass, chunky shell, and a bigger battery, yes but that would entail making them thicker and more expensive when those are already complaints. So they figure people will just buy protective shells, external batteries and screen protectors for their devices if they prefer stability and battery life.

Attached: 81Eo62hQubL._SL1500_.png (786x1376, 1000.78K)

advance did not
color could absolutely run for 24 hours or more

Shut up, retard. NiMH is great with modern LSD batteries, I can leave them in the fucking drawer for a year and still have 80% charge.

I wish Nintendo would just make something as simple as the GBC again. Even if it's just a shitty minigame console or something as long as it's as sext as the GBC/GB pocket

They've made those Mario and Zelda Game & Watch handhelds.

Because the jews want you to buy 1 new each year.

because they have a good performance and capabilities. unlike the 230 pixels and the bleep bleep sound the gameboy had.

No, there were charge kits. You could, in fact, plug in an AC adapter and recharge. Additionally, the GBC has an 3V DC slot, so you can play without batteries if you aren't charging a power pack.

10 hours is a very generous battery life as well. The only thing beyond might be the DS Lite with about 15 hours, which was exceptional.

Investors driving price point over quality of product, consumers allowing that, and general technological limits.

You don't get high res or FPS with huge battery power. It cannot work that way.

>it wasn't like you were playing 8 hours straight in most cases.
Casual alert.

Too complex and filled with tiny parts. You can see inside a Game Boy and there's not much there.

Batteries can only store so much of a charge, and hardware has been getting progressively more power-hungry.

If it was easier to load ROMs onto those they would've been a day 1 purchase for me

why not just put more batteries in

Then you bitch about it being too big.

people used batterys?
i only used it plugged into the wall
there was no reason to take a gameboy outside other then a long car trip

they play one game

>10 hours is a very generous battery life as well
By today's standards it probably sounds quite good but this was a time when like portable radios would last for days on a single set of batteries. It was a few years after the gameboy but my first portable CD player had a 72 hour battery life.

My phone battery lasts a few days and I play Gameboy games on it all the time

only playing an audio track vs rendering, processing, playing audio, registering inputs, connecting to the internet, etc. i wonder why one can last 72 hours and the other can't?

Look up the actual battery life tests for GBC. It seems that it was rated for about 10 hours, but managed far more. That aside, these are portable consoles. They have their own metric for power draw, and handhelds surrounding the Gameboy didn't manage good battery life in relation to it. It was a boon of using old tech, which preserved a respectable size for the hardware and a very good battery life compared to the competition.