Opinions on graphics?

Opinions on graphics?

Attached: znegky2q7fm81.jpg (960x960, 146.37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/816ciZ5krhc
youtu.be/nb69uik4P64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I want good games that also have good graphics.
Simple as.

I like old graphics, but I don't want new games imitating old graphics through modern means because it looks like trash.
The devs back then worked within the limitations of technology at the time to produce stuff that looked great, devs now have much better tools at their disposal and choose to make their game look like shit for no reason.
I can understand indie shit looking like shit if it's 1 guy working on it, but I hate pixel art.

Ultra realistic graphics have destroyed gaming by causing games to cost 100's of millions of dollars with 5 to 7 year development cycles. This caused games to become completely broken on release with a fraction of the content than games released years ago.

I don't care much about graphics, but there is a limit to how bad a game can look.
Take Pokemon for example. If you have a huge budget and a huge team like GF and your game still looks worse than the yearly Atelier games, then you don't deserve to get any money.

The push for photo realism has completely killed the middle tier game developer. It's an absolute cancer in this industry.

Graphics only need to portray vision of the artists, nothing more nothing less.

Unimportant, graphics do not matter in making a game good or not. Music, Story and most importantly the Gameplay are what makes a game good or not.

Graphics should depend on the developer's artistic vision.
If they want 2D sprites, isometric, low poly, 3D HD, fuck even 2D HD, just make sure it looks nice aesthetically.

>Take Pokemon for example.
What I legitimately don't understand is how I thought years ago they future proofed their Pokemon by making really detailed models of each so that they'd have to do minimal work to update them each gen with new textures and animations and shit, but yet, they act like they start from scratch each release.

No AAA game should have "bad" graphics. There's no excuse when your budget is in the tens to hundreds of millions and there's indie games with better detail and art direction than your game.

Overrated.

If a new game does not ship with raytracing or dlss I will not play it.

>but I hate pixel art.
Nah, you just hate the left

Attached: 12d.gif (1651x890, 410.37K)

"Muh story and worldbuilding" fags are why real games don't exist anymore

New consoles are sold on the ground of having the best graphics evers so if a game looks like shit, we have all the rights to complain about it. They are also heavily affected by artstyle so if a new game with a hyper realistic artstyle looks like shit then its a huge problem, old games had "bad" graphics because they where lowpoly or not detailed textures but they look good thanks to their artstyle

Yeah, and part of the distinction is that the devs on the right don't describe what they're doing as "pixel art".

I don't resent the push for more complex visuals . This can come in the form of a game trying to achieve a photo-realistic look, and while of course that is totally lacking in creativity it can push the industry forward in terms of what's actually possible in gameplay. Achieving realistic fluid simulations for example was a fairly significant leap in technology, although the impact things like that on game design can be subtle and hard to appreciate, especially for youngsters who take it all for granted.

people need to learn to separate art direction from the technical aspect of computer graphics so they can argue for what they want better

It is, however, pixel art.

I like good graphics, but if the graphics are the reason that modern games take longer to make and suck then they aren’t worth it.

anything that at least looks six gen is playable and can look beautiful. We should have stopped caring about those over detail and bloating of it's appearances and focused on a good gaming experience. Sadly we are just stuck in a loop of the same shit but in 4k.

Attached: 1471203048-2388983838.jpg (1024x768, 256.54K)

>gen 6 is the cutoff
Haha, fuck you. The cutoff is (aesthetically) third gen and (in terms of actual required processing power) fifth gen. Maybe late fourth gen. Whenever we got basic CD audio and the ability to manipulate sprites in fancy ways.

they're shit
Either the game looks great enough to tip off that it was ludicrously expensive and therefore AAA shit or it's total fucking whatever.

I feel like the trend is beginning to reverse, and not in just the faux retro shit way.

Graphics are a fucking meme. I paid nearly $550 for an Rx 6600 xt on release, only for me to binge on indieshit for the last 6 months. Any game that touts good graphics as a selling point is shit.

You're right, jade empire didn't need realistic grafixx to be comfy as fuck. And it had such good quests and NPCs, not to mention I liked the way closed fist could actually be a defensible ideology instead of most rpgs' usual "be a cunt for no reason" for evil route. Shame bioware went the way it did.
>you can convince the slave girl to kill her captors and her mother is horrified
>your party members like pic related or possessed loli actually have arcs and quests
>you can fucking enslave your friends and death's hand
Good stuff. Not to mention the soundtrack was fire.
youtu.be/816ciZ5krhc
youtu.be/nb69uik4P64

Attached: image.png (600x450, 504K)

>what they want

Attached: quote-i-don-t-give-a-damn-what-the-fans-think-cause-quite-frankly-i-know-what-the-fans-want-vince-mcmahon-92-54-36.jpg (850x400, 65.48K)

Smooth animations feel way better than high detail character models. Late PS2 was enough character detail for me, more or less. It makes me sad to see that frame rate drops are still so common, when shittier character models have been pulling off smooth animations for years. It’s been a weird one step forward two steps back kind of thing.

Just fucking look at how much TECHNOLOGY was crammed into Metal Gear Solid 2 and then compare it to more modern 3rd person shooters.