Casuals STILL mad about Breath of the Wild weapons breaking

Casuals STILL mad about Breath of the Wild weapons breaking

Attached: Casual.png (601x240, 19.39K)

durability is such a shitty mechanic in every game, tendies trying to defend it really shows how much of drones they are

filtered

Attached: 1646695944818.png (1000x432, 115.9K)

I fucking hated the durability in BOTW, but it becomes irrelevant after like an hour. By then, you'll have your inventory full of weapons to swap out with when they break and you're constantly dropping the weakest weapon with a stronger version. The only real retarded thing was the Master Sword.

thanks for proving my point lmao

yeah it's definitely much better to pick up 100 weapons you will never use because you're already locked into your build completely undermining your reason for exploring
>just ignore it bro just don't explore just google it
shit game

Having a durability system is a neat idea for Zelda but how they did it was stupid. All weapons, including one of a kind ones, break after 20 uses. If they had more strength and a way to repair weapons it wouldve been better.

I look forward to playing botw2 on yuzu with durability modded out

Zelda bros...

Attached: 16390597333230.jpg (1465x1636, 511.86K)

The fundamental reasons for weapon durability made sense within the game.

The problem wasn't weapon breakage in and of itself, it was that it lead to excessive amounts of menuing and inventory management. The system as a whole could be significantly improved with better QoL fixes.

Durability is not a mechanic.

kys

I'd say the actual issue for it in BotW was that the values for melee weapons were just low across the board considering how frequently you used them and that their "special actions" like the heavy weapon spin and Flurry rush wore stuff down like crazy, compare to shields that would likely last you a long-ass time unless you shield-surf (and even then it ain't that bad) and bows where the numbers are somewhat comparable or lower, but do not have the same need of hitting multiple times for their "Special Action" so they actually make those lower/similar values last MUCH longer.

I mean, it might just be me but Scimitar of the Seven always breaks A LOT earlier then Daybreak for me, even if i use Daybreak a lot and am saving the sword even though they have the same value(60). I did some long ass autism posts with the values in the past but i guess it is too TL;DR for most people. It also does not really play nice with Master Mode making a lot of enemies damage sponges and the fact that eventually you will just feel "it is not worth it" about combat because you won't get as good weapons as already you have (and would have to spend) out of it. Another factor is that you will probably just memorize a "Hot spot" and go grab the same weapons from that place when your shit breaks and that just means you are doing fast travel laps when shit breaks anyway, same with the Champion Weapons once you know where you can get a steady supply of Diamonds (Read: Talos Fights) you can just get a new one as soon as it breaks, but that doesn't change that that shit breaking so fast each time feels annoying.

Weapon durability is quite literally a brainlet filter. It's a resource limitation that forces the player to optimize thier damage output and perform a variety of resource efficient strategies. If you're just whacking everything without thinking, your weapons will break fast. But If you use your fucking brain, your weapons will last an eternity. For example:

>boulders and other objects can insta kill if they hit properly
>pushing an enemy into water is an instant kill
>Fire can be applied to any wooden weapon and setting an enemy ablaze will deal damage over time
>said fire damage can allow you to kill Black Bokoblins (200+ HP) with a fucking single boko club (4 damage)
>any attack that breaks a frozen enemy will deal 3x damage
>Dealing lightning damage to a wet enemy will deal 5x damage
>Performing a drop attack from the proper height will create a shockwave that deals damage equal to your weapons rating. This will allow you to deal that damage to multiple enemies for the cost of only 1 durability.
>Utilizing buffs can increase your attack rating for every hit, immediately making your offense more efficient in every way.
>Parrying an enemy with a lower damage weapon will force them to drop it so that you can use it as a burner before eating into your own resources.

None of this shit would matter if weapons had no durability. You'd be able to just mash like an idiot for every fight. If this wasn't already apparent in your normal playthrough, Master Mode emphasizes it even more. There are plenty of valid reasons to shit on BOTW. Weapon durability is not one of them. It is not Nintendo's fault you were too goddamned stupid to play their game properly.

I wish BOTW received a randomizer or a rogue like mode, the mechanics are perfect for that

It's a terrible mechanic.
If weapons lasted a few hours instead of a few minutes it wouldn't be so bad.

nah it's shit

What would that improve?

GAH DON'T MAKE ME MAD SNOY

Tendies≠zeldadrones

I think the choice to make melee weapons break faster may have been deliberate for a few reasons.
1) They're more varied than shields or bows in what they do and how they work, so breakage encourages more experimentation.
2) Being breakable makes them inherently more disposable, encouraging stuff like throwing them or using them as physics objects.
3) You simply GET a lot more of them compared to shields or bows.
4) Bows already have a scarcity mechanic in the form of arrows, and shields to an extent through surfing.

I think the speed melee weapons break at would be fine if, again, there were better QoL features so you weren't going into menus so often. Maybe stuff like
>auto-equip new melee weapon upon breakage, perhaps following some priority rules set by the player
>"repair" weapons by combining weapons of the same type (or just similar types), which reduces inventory housekeeping a bit.
etc

As other anons have said, durability also leads to some interesting resource management considerations in combat.

Not having your weapon break every few minuets and needing to constantly switch to and find new ones.

>Weapons from 100+ years ago and clubs made by literal Goblins break real easy
I get it was annoying, but it made sense thematically

Nice argument, brainlet.

If you're breaking weapons you are killing enemies, who are net durability positive. Switching weapons is just a matter of pressing a button and flicking right.

No it doesnt your club isnt gonna fucking explode after 10 hits

It would accomplish practically nothing because of the way the game world and loot are set up. You could swap any number of shrines without people noticing.

It's still a shit mechanic and an annoyance.

If it's literally made of dead wood or bones and fucking tar it will.

>They're more varied than shields or bows in what they do and how they work, so breakage encourages more experimentation.
If that's the case, why are there so many whose only difference is numeric?

Input reading is such a shitty mechanic in every game, Fromdrones defending that really showcases how much of drones they are.

Too bad the game is a completely broken piece shit game when comes to Armor upgrades and food/cookong.

Remember that they initially wanted the Master sword to return to its pedestal, after it "ran out of energy"

Dragon's Dogma has all that shit and no weapon durability, and all of that is still useful.
In fact it even lets you throw bottles of water at people to drench them so that you can use lightning attacks more effectively. Or flasks of oil for fire attacks.

ER: Lots of cool different weapons which DON'T break after fifty swing
BotW: A bunch of boring shitty disposable weapons, none of which feel special except the shitty Master Sword

>weapon mechanic that discincentivises using said weapons
woah...my mind is blown...

It's just ammo, stop being autistic.

Not sure what you mean. They're obviously far less varied than, say, weapons in souls games. But you've still got swords, claymores, spears, boomerangs, and elemental rods, which are more fundamentally different than shields or bows are from each other.

You can reload guns without pausing the game

I don't really see a problem with it since you run into weapons literally everywhere you go. While I don't mind weapon durability I would rather like to see it like in Castlevania where you can swap out weapons.

>resource limitation
No it isn't, its an IQ check. Should I do these bobokin camps? If you even think yes, you are subhuman. It quickly incentivizes you to not use the things you found

Attached: dfda.jpg (700x913, 111.1K)

>I think the speed melee weapons break at would be fine if, again, there were better QoL features so you weren't going into menus so often. Maybe stuff like
Or just make weapons have a sane durability, and make them more scarce to find to balance out how you used to carry about 20 swords at any given time with the current system.

That's not surprising, FROM puts 90% of their development budget into combat and locations in which to do said combat. Their games are comparatively minimalistic in other areas to compensate.

It's just weirdos with potion anxiety.

It's always just been bad menuing. Faster way to drop weapons, bows, and shields and a swap prompt when opening chests containing weapons when your inventory is full would be great.