Is having infinite lives and short levels inherently better than forcing players to replay long levels if they fuck up...

Is having infinite lives and short levels inherently better than forcing players to replay long levels if they fuck up badly?

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 64.56K)

No
Dustforce is a better game and it has multiple minutes-long levels

Depends on how complex the mechanics are and how much room for creativity there is. Something like Mario 64 where I can take a dozen different routes? Good. Something like N++ or Dustforce where I only have like two routes and they require massive precision? No.

No when the movement is shit on purpose in a platformer.

Aren't you just saying make it hard, but not too hard?

Yes, I dont want to repeat most of the challenges I already proved that I can beat, Id rather have ultra hard bite sized challenges than long levels with lots of minor challenges

If you can't beat a challenge that is just a little harder than the previous level you haven't proven shit, if you were as good as you thought you wouldn't have died at all.

It turns what would've been a 2-month slog into a 2-day jog.

If that's the goal, why have deaths at all? Isn't it just a waste of time?

Yea. It means the creator favors skill to overcome the challenges and not just patience or roleplay. It's the purest form of difficulty.

Yeah thats why I dont die, I just have to go through all this shit I already got through: Again! Its pretty boring, I know its because of my short attention span but I always drop games like this in favor of stuff like Meatboy

There are a few games like that in mind where there's no death, but major setbacks involving mistakes made by the player. Getting Over It and Jump King come to mind, those are fantastic games. Think of SMB's levels like platforming puzzles, there's a goal and you need precision and simple problem solving skills to beat it.

But if you were good you wouldn't die to the new bit of gameplay, unless you're a shit player that solely relies on rote memorization to beat games.

How do you cross the gap?

Attached: scenario.png (1446x816, 10.49K)

A hard game of pure skill, but causual enough so anyone can beat? That sounds like a yiddish riddle to me!

Competent gamers don't need patience to beat Nintendo hard games without save states. If you need weeks to beat a new Mega Man game, you're a shit player, and the only reason Meat Boy is fun is because even shit gamers can feel skilled playing it.

Attached: download.png (240x210, 9.19K)

Yes, I'm aware that SMB is a platformer, but have you considered that levels can be longer and harder?

based

Skelattack pulled it off well, and the infinite lives mechanic is a part of the game's plot too

whoa... that's just like bioshock!

Attached: hideout.png (1080x491, 496.94K)

this but underwater

Attached: underwater.jpg (480x360, 40.4K)