Why is it that, despite the industry being bloated with giant sandboxes...

Why is it that, despite the industry being bloated with giant sandboxes, rarely any new games give the player a feeling of GRAND ADVENTURE like far more technologically constrained retro titles like did?

Attached: skiesofarcadia-03.png (640x480, 340.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LFcH84oNU6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good question idk. many new games just seem soulless and dead IMO, I don't know why. old games got more love by the developers, or perhaps we have just grown up and are looking back at old games with nostalgia.

Skies of Arcadia is so fucking b o r i n g

Japanese developers vs W*stern shit

>the industry being bloated with giant sandboxes
There are virtually no sandbox games. Stop misuing this term, you fucking mongrel. Elden Ring is NOT a sandbox RPG.

I hate to say it but the closest any game has gotten to the feel of Skies is going around FFXIV filling the sightseeing log. Even then that doesn't compare too well either. Why did JRPGs completely lose their soul to become bottom of the barrel high school dating sims?

No actually many western games do have a feeling of exploration and adventure like the fabled lands java

Attached: The fabled lands java.jpg (600x480, 83.74K)

Its all very by the books formulas created to bring max profits to the share holders while just applying a new coat of paint to fool the consumers into thinking their actually getting something new and innovative like the commercials and the shills tell them.

Old good new bad, the post
Fuck off

nostalgia

Skies of Arcadia is the greatest One Piece game ever made.

Because new games have to have super detailed textures and higher-count polygon models, all while having to run at higher FPS, or else people will bemoan how it looks and performs and they won't buy it. It honestly sucks that this is the state of things. We haven't had a JRPG with a fullnlown world map since the PSX/DC.

Fullblown*

How is it possible to be so wrong?

Attached: unnamed.jpg (1024x768, 140.84K)

Warning: nostalgia bomb.

youtube.com/watch?v=LFcH84oNU6s

He's not wrong. The combat is boring outside of Bounty Hunts, the overworld encounter rate is insane until you get the Delphinus, and most of the airship battles are slow and boring as shit.

Sandboxes aren't meant for you to do that, they're meant for you to fuck around it

I'm sorry you have the attention span of a flea, but you are still wrong.
There is also an item that prevents encounters.

Attached: bt78r.jpg (357x513, 51.29K)

Vyse is one of the best protags ever.

Attached: skies-of-arcadia.jpg (1920x1080, 168.28K)

Combination of factors:
The first is just good old fashioned business formulas. Larger studios and publishers are spending millions of dollars on their products, they aren't going to take anymore risk then necessary when making them.
The second is ironically enough better graphics. Older games due to those hardware limitations couldn't show you everything so the devs tended to rely more on letting your imagination fill in the blanks. Think about when was the last time you played a game with a separate overworld map. Plus the weird lower poly models and sprites tended to make your brain feel as if the game world was more alien.
Thirdly, the focus on cinematic experiences. Every major game today has to have fully voiced dialogue and they have to have cutscenes or gameplay moments designed to feel "epic." Way too many games feel more like a series of small interactive movies stitched together by basic gameplay. There isn't as much care given to making the gameplay itself create good moments.
And lastly, age. You were a child who never played that many games yet and so didn't have a brain trained to recognize game tropes. There were also some really shit AAA games back then as well, we just don't talk about them anymore because they were shit. Remember in the 90's when almost every shooter was a doom clone? There were a metric shitton of really bad doom clones.

I don't think modern games give you vehicles to like airships to travel around the world. It's all instant travel now.

I hope you get sent to fight Russia, zoomer

More like you enjoy banal, uninteresting JRPG gameplay.

Thanks for the skies thread OP. Is dolphin still the best gamecube emulator?

There's a difference between a sandbox and an actual open world, if you ask me. Same thing, different execution. Westshit tend to be sandbox, one large """cohesive""" area filled with icons, as opposed to actually travelling to different foreign places with their own local cultures and unique differences. A sandbox can end up being pretty repetitive because arr rook same, and you tend to do the same thing over and over. But that's just my opinion.