Why was this game an unmitigable flop on every platform that it was released on?

Why was this game an unmitigable flop on every platform that it was released on?

Attached: 660175-the-wonderful-101-nintendo-switch-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 226.86K)

Needed marketing.

because the game is shit
get it through your thick skull

I like Kamiya's games, but only after the first playthrough. The first time they're such a slog and unfun where the game expects you to be a master player, but without the abilities that actually make the game fun, you get completely destroyed, then it's made worse with the QTEs that you won't see coming because it's your first time, then you're expected to play some minigame boss fight where you're scrambling to learn the controls while you're being demolished.

I get that he loves the feeling of a game kicking your ass until you git gud at it, but he needs to tone it down a bit.

Is it, though?

Attached: Wonderful 101 - Pure Platinum.webm (711x400, 2.77M)

Yeah, it is. W101 is not a good game. It requires hours upon hours of dedicated play to get to the point where it even BEGINS to approximate fun, and for something so heavily based on gameplay, that's frankly unacceptable. As a player, I shouldn't need to play something multiple times to even start having an enjoyable experience. The only people who praise this game are those who went into it convinced they would like it and played it to the point of being able to combo everything to death before it could even touch them. It is not good no matter how many contrarians show up here to proclaim it as a fantastic game. No one cares about it because it's NOT GOOD. It's that simple.

Everything about it is a pleb filter.

W101 is actually the most learnable game out of this genre though because the shitty memory game of needing to remember whether you do XXXYXYXYXYYYX or XYYYXYXXXYXYYYXX is no longer a problem. All that webm is switching morphs, then pressing up attack to launch, then mashing the attack, then a circle attack for style, then switching to another morph, all while keeping it suspended with bombs so you can continue railing it. It's hard to pull off because there's a lot to keep up with, but the actual inputs is extremely learnable and within reach even for an average player.

This is probabably why the game floats either between best game ever or worst game ever with little inbetween. You either like how this game just rewards good inputs instead of memory dial a combo shit, or you hate how it's reaction and input based and prefer using memory to dial the right combo. I'm of the opinion that W101 is the ONLY good platinum game because I hate how all the other ones feel, or their story, or their aesthetics, or their gameplay. Just about everything in W101 feels right to me. Only part I truly hate is guiding the boomerang through the laser gates in 9-2, its so slippery feeling.

It's people like you who hold the medium back
The reason we no longer have hard games is because people like you don't want to learn a game. You think buying the game entitles you to get pure platinums for free.

Maybe people would be more open to it if it didn't have a gay chibi artstyle and awful weapon drawing controls
>inb4 they work fine for me!
I'd rather just press a button to change weapons not interrupt combat to play Scribblenauts every few seconds

>just press a button to change weapons
Would be less smooth. There's too many weapons, being able to switch to any of them is much better than having to cycle
Also you're just really fucking physically/mentally slow if you can't pull off basic analog motions in slow-mo. Sorry.

A masterpiece.

No amount of praise is enough for w101 imo

>try drawing one weapon
>won't create the weapon I want and need to retry it multiple times
Amazing controls
Just admit it only appeals to a handful of autists and call it a day

The kickstarter was a success, it didn't need to succeed in sales after that.

>white male protagonist

Niche game in a niche genre, combined with art that puts most people off.

>Viewtiful Joe is a 93 on Metacritic and is considered a Gamecube classic to this day even by normalfags
Why the fuck does everyone say it's the visuals
And the difficulty, VJ is way way WAY fucking harder

I've never heard a normalfag mention VJ in my life
Maybe a certain eceleb likes it but that doesn't mean it was a bestseller either(actually most Clover games underperformed)

whenever someone lists off best gamecube games VJ always comes up
I'm just saying that VJ succeeded somewhere TW101 didn't despite having the same """problems"""

>that webm
Christ, I'm glad PlatinumGames is dying. What a shit style over substance game

VJ was released in a time where some reviewers were actually good at games and it's much more of a simple game than W101 is.

In a way, fpbp. The visual identity of the game isn't strikingly attractive on the shelf, it's not notably stand-out, and doesn't make it easy to understand kind of game experience you're getting into. Additionally, for those who do actually take a dig at looking into the game, I feel like there's a possible separation between those who'd like the look and those who'd like the concept of such a complex action game. Then there was the Wii U demo: if I remember correctly, that initial version didn't have the intro cutscene and tutorial or necessarily the entire first operation. It's been some time, so I can't say if that was the case for sure anymore, but if it was, it didn't make for an exciting representation. The new demo is much more generous and really sells the humor and style of the game, but that alone isn't really enough to stand on.