Linux Gaymin

will it ever be viable

Attached: yrfnEy7IjP.png (429x428, 143.53K)

proton will only get better, steam deck will make developers want to target it too, valve is not only saving PC gaming but it's saving technology by killing a monopoly

If steam dwarf fortress is compatible I'd switch to it.

idk, I've been playing every major AAA title and indie for the past 4 years or so on Linux. Elden Ring had a hiccup with anticheat day 1 but now it runs better than Windows thanks to stutter fixes patched in by the Linux community. Apex Legends also works now. Haven't played it but thats a major anticheat game

Not really, becouse people who game on PC also do other things with their PCs that isnt Linux friendly ie most will give up on a task if it takes more then 5 secs

It already is. If you can't use Linux then you should stick to consoles. Windows is deprecated. Very soon the only notable games not playable on Linux will be the ones in which Microsoft pays developers to include some Proton-breaking butthurt.dll or ban Linux users manually.

Depends on your definition of "viable". If it means 100% compatibility with every Windows game ever, then no.
Otherwise, it already is somewhat viable, and constantly getting better.

>tarkov
>hell let loose
>can't use gpu passthrough without a second shit gpu in my computer
i am stuck in this shit OS

Attached: J1f9pQgTOM.png (199x210, 59.06K)

if you're afraid to get your feet wet in the terminal don't bother just use windows 10 ltsc you can disable the shilling, there's less bloat and you can disable forced updates
>will linux gayming be viable
I do think so but I'd be much happier if video game devs provided executables that run natively on linux without depending on wine and used vulkan

Not as viable as windows but more viable for gaming than mac.

proton will be the future of gaming. it will be the main target for devs since every single system will just be able to play them. microsoft at one point will use it to be able to abandon windows in its current state and make something new.

I only really play tf2 these days, It's good enough for that.

(((Linux)))

Works on my machine.

It already is. Proton is fucking magic. All my games just work.

linux is free though

Attached: 1646241307216.png (850x480, 296.14K)

I don't buy it. Proton is still for Linux only, and if Linux is the future (implying that Linux becomes the OS of choice for gaming), there won't be any reason for competent developers to target the Windows APIs that Proton translates to native ones. Developers can just make native Linux games instead of developing for a hypothetically dead OS by way of a compatibility layer. They might still be targeting Steam and its containerized runtime environment to ensure all their dependencies exist though.

And still easily surveyed

>what is tails

>Developers can just make native Linux games
most game devs are to inept to even use vulkan instead of directx. so no

No, people will not sacrifice the comfort of windows for the hope of 5fps more.

Attached: 20211106_152644.jpg (697x720, 211.52K)

and yet i sacrificed the comfort of windows half a year ago and got rewarded with 20fps more and all settings on high instead of low in apex. curious

>apex
Opinion discarded

Then they should learn.

>I'm just going to pick this one case and ignore all the games that run worse or just don't run at all.

apex legends got easy anti-cheat support yesterday after the steam deck just launched and it added 25k players to the daily playercount, about 10% of their daily playerbase just increased solely based on linux users. this is proof that linux is a big enough market to put the most basic amount of support in for them. 2022 is unironically the year of the linux desktop, we're home linuxchads

Attached: file.png (384x283, 27.26K)

>windows
>comfort
i have never had a tolerable pc experience until i could ditch that piece of shit that keeps breaking with pajeet updates so they can force their government approved spyware

I fell for the gaming linux meme in 2015, 7 years later it is still shit. So the answer is never.