How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Attached: Screenshot 2022-03-01 at 18.36.35.png (548x550, 646.48K)

doggo!!! :D

awww he's smiling :DD

I have played a ton of horror games and none of them have scared me. This isn’t pathetic e bragging, can anyone recommend me a game that will freak me out and scare me? I see so many people going full onions about the least scary shit on here. I want something that will haunt my thoughts for a few days

make it scary

ever tried any in VR? also try Lost in Vevo
only times horror has genuinely scared me is when I'm fully invested and unable to predict what's next, which is rare for videogames in general

Poisoned my neighboor's pitbull with a sausage filled with rat poison. Watched him barfing blood and grey stuff while smoking a good monte cristo. Tough motherfucker, he didn't even die and got up on his paws, had to strangle through the fence with a phone cable
He was an aggressive cunt, aways barking at people for no reason. Not that my poofta neighboor learned the lesson, now he's got a fucking dobermann.

Hey who gives a shit, another retarded dog, another poisoned sausage. This time i'm getting the dose right

Attached: 1448302295830.jpg (466x700, 88.39K)

>want something subtle that builds tension, some jumpscares but not a lot
>find some good reccomendations
>the scares/enemies/sounds are so subtle/I'm so autistic that I rarely notice the monsters and either easily beat the level or get the death screen without any scare payoff

Attached: aurthur mad.png (500x300, 25.39K)

>dog falseflagging

i'll post in your stupid horror game thread you autist christ

Attached: you.png (512x341, 264.03K)

i feel like a truly terrifying horror game wouldnt be that hard to make. most horror games tone it down a lot to make a more playable game.

horror is a genre that, in my opinion, doesnt need to have super engrossing or fun game play

i was thinking something very abstract like the format of LSD dream emulator would work well. the lack of control, total unfamiliarity and no direction would work well if the goal is to be scary

people say they hate jump scares but they are scary and there is no denying it. games and films always tone it down and give cues that a jump scare is coming and then its usually not anything shocking

there is a specific type of shock and fear that i havent seen a game reproduce. only some manga and actual shock images from the internet seem to produce it. like when u see those pictures of third worlders being eaten alive by maggots. no games have been able to do it. i dont think graphical limitations are the reason because some manga, particularly korean ones, have been able to pull it off. oddly enough some computer viruses from the 90s gave me the same feeling

He mauled millions...

Shitbulls are NOT doggos

Easier said than done, why don't you make it user

I just want a horror game that makes me feel watched, like the game knows I'm playing it and is actively hostile to my existence, as well as defying my expectations and presenting me with horrifying imagery that I cannot comprehend

maybe i will ;)

but this is a forum for discussion

You saw the 22yr old that got her entire face eaten didnt you?

Honestly I think the best advances in the horror game genre are happening in the indie art scene right now. I've had more games off itch.io scare the living shit out of me than AAA games ever have

>but they are scary
they are not scary, they are startling. you get startled by loud noises because your monkey brain is wired to do so.

a really good jumpscare doesn't require a loud BOOOOOO, it requires you to be paying attention to something while something else creeps up on your peripheral

yeah but being startled is scary, its just also unpleasant. I think its a great tool for horror

i agree completely with your second part though

>I think its a great tool for horror
it would be much better if it was used more sparingly.

Attached: kneel..gif (335x974, 1.5M)

Well I can tell you how we don't fix it, and that's trust Square Enix to do it. Look at what they did to FF and even to the Hitman franchise with Absolution before they sold it to IOI.