Can someone explain why every single enemy fights like a drunk that delays all their attacks for 15 seconds and follows...

Can someone explain why every single enemy fights like a drunk that delays all their attacks for 15 seconds and follows up with a 10ms jab from nowhere?

Attached: elden-ring-scaled.jpg (2560x1427, 463.41K)

Because that's the only way Fromsoft knows to make difficult fights.

Its a sekiro holdover where every boss would go spastic for you to mash parry.

Close. It's the only way left TO make difficult fights.
Rolls are quick, safe, and forgiving. You can roll with no stamina directly after attacking. Heals are near instant, potent, and you have a lot of them.
They dug this grave themselves

It's so that you don't get into a rhythm without thinking and study and learn the enemies flows.
It's basically a feint.

When you choose to not add mechanical depth to your combat system to appeal to normies, the only way you can make things more difficult is with ambiguous tells and instant kills
It will not get better

But it makes none of the bosses fun or interesting, they just fight like spastics and dish out 45 minute combos while you watch bored waiting for them.

Because players whined about the "gimmick" bosses so From doubled down on traditional action encounters. That or they have no spark left and just pump out these samey fights, crank up EpicOST11.wav and retards fall for it.

Because after six wildly successful games of the same type, they need to keep the formula fresh enough to keep veterans' interest.
You might have ideas about how they could do it better, but you can't deny that they accomplished what they set out to do.

>big guy with sword gets up onto one knee before standing
>choir kicks in
>OOOOOOOOOHHH

Funny, because it killed my interest and I've been here since DeS. This tactic to keep veterans on their toes is played out anyway, starting since BB. That's BB, DSIII and perhaps Sekiro. All it does is make players play even more defensively and slow while the boss does its 18 hit combo so they can get a quick hit in before waiting for the next combo to end.

Why don't they reduce iframes on roll so they can make enemies that don't rely on multi-hit combos or delayed attacks?

I think this is personal risk appetite. You can definitely play safe and wait for the once-every-20s light hit opening. But in my 50 hours there's not been a boss you can't be more aggressive with once you learn the flows, well apart from the adhd grafted spiders. I have no clue what the design direction there is, they feel like poise checks. Maybe I've not experimented with ashes enough.

I feel like a lot of people are inclined to back away once they eat dirt and resort to this wait 30s, hit once, wait 30s playstyle because of inherent fear of loss and defeat aversion. I actually think this is not a bad thing, for the game, because newbros can access the game easier playing like this, and while it's fresh it's still fun. But there's clearly a lot of resentment to people feeling forced to play like this.

What more mechanical depth could you add? We got guard breaks, ashes and jumping attacks.

>they need to keep the formula fresh
But it isn't fresh. DS2 DS3 and BB had tons of enemy movesets like this. The only mix is will he do the move that you need to dodge right away or is it a slow move that would catch the early roll. If you can identify the two moves it's over.
They can try to condition the player with several moves at similar speeds then throw the curveball but when you stop and look at it the game plays exactly the same as the rest.

They tried that, but everyone threw a hissy fit because it was different

Attached: file.png (709x1063, 771.16K)

Because, as of Dark Souls 3, From realised that that was a good way to discourage dodge spam.
Then Sekiro came along, and the mechanic was important in order to discourage Parry Spam (not as effectivily tho)
Now, it's a way to encourage Guard Counters.

Attached: 80c8e48fa9d82b7aa8e07752ce5e1c25.jpg (994x750, 104.3K)

>Enemy does a big jump
Cool, they should be recov-
>Does 1 more big jump directly after with no tells
That is not how shit is supposed to work you fucks.

Attached: 1641821112262.png (540x633, 167.25K)

"Fresh" in the sense that you can't reasonably predict the moveset from experience. Even trash enemies have at least one tricky move in their repertoire.

>What more mechanical depth could you add?
t. hasn't played nioh, dmc, ninja gaiden

How do you play aggressive against Crucible Knight? Especially the 2nd phase where he hits you with a tail swipe if you try to attack. Any jump or heavy attacks to try to guard break him get punished immediately

It's to counter dodge spam. If you spam roll against an enemy with irregular delays inbetween swings you're going to get fucked.

The moon girl fight was soulful

It's kinda a normal-fag friendly way to create difficulty. One reason the souls-games are so successful is that they are pretty accessible. You don't need fast reflexes, you don't need to master complex inputs, basically anyone can learn and master these games.
But that also means there are very limited ways to make 1vs1 fights difficult.

Attached: E6V5YXVUUBYSKgx.jpg (2000x1750, 931.38K)

Its just japanese boss design

Because the battle system is too simple and rolls are too strong. 10 hit combos that are designed to fuck with your sense of timing are all From can do to add difficulty if it wants regular boss fights and not puzzles with a health bar.

Are you even talking about elden ring? Rolling is literally fucking delayed because it only activates after you let go of the button, not on press. And every boss reads inputs and does a gap closer the instant you chug a potion. Don't know about the "free stamina for rolling after attack thing though", big if true.

>What more mechanical depth could you add
More interesting defensive options would be nice. All we have is roll and block. And blocking sucks against big enemies.

those games are wide not deep

This
I’m not enjoying it much, and I coasted through all of bloodborne, dark souls, demons souls, and dark souls 3 as a dexfag with daggers, or in BBs case, a skillfag with a saw spear. I gave up on dark souls 2 cos it felt horrible and unfinished to play.
My issue is that it’s just dark souls 3 but with even more weird delays that fuck up parry timing, and more of a divide between what the enemy can do, and what you can.
I wish they’d taken this the more sekiro route, instead of the hyper fast spastic dark souls 3 route.

There is parrying, but it's hardly useful against many big bosses.
Another things Bloodborne did right,

if youve played nioh 2 and think any fromsoft game even approaches nioh 2's mechanical depth you are medically retarded.

To filter shitters like you who spam roll :)

Keep crying fag. You baddies are so fucking shit at videogames. The cope in these threads is unreal.

God I miss it so much. The rally mechanic, sidestepping, the viscerals.
I love that game like you wouldn’t believe. Adding the boss and enemy moveset style from bloodborne ruined the souls series. Prior to 3, demons and dark souls had slower, weightier, and more impactful combat.
I mean I dunno about 2. That game was dogshit anyway.

that's not mechanical depth, that's just convoluted mechanics

wide, not deep
real life has depth, video games have "content"

>literally no argument
I accept your concession.

>that's not mechanical depth, that's just convoluted mechanics
you literally didnt play the game

Almost a successful LARP m8, you had me until you stated your opinion about ds2 and it became clear you'd just parrotred all these opinions from threads on this website.

This has got to be THE hardest boss Ive fought in one of these games, so bafflingly fast and she heals on fucking hit

Attached: 20220301083803_1.jpg (1536x864, 329.47K)

i did, sorry

first year algebra classes have more depth than video games

It works pretty well in BB but for DS it is just a higher risk high reward version of block. And like block you can't use it against big shit or projectiles

Anyone else hate how impervious the tracking on enemies is? The tracking on player attacks is complete shit but if an enemy is winding up an attack on you it doesn't matter what kind of acrobatic tricks you try to pull off, if you're in range you need to hit that i-frame when the attack comes your way or you're getting damaged. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't every single fucking enemy in the game that fought like this.

Knight characters literally input reading you is also fucking dumb AF.

Back roll has much bigger delay than front and side rolls for me for some reason. I hate that roll starts on button release and not button press. Hope some mods fix it.

>have to waste stats on iframes
would have been acceptable if ds2 didn't have multiplayer

its obvious you didnt play the game fromtranny now go dilate

once you get him down you can break his stance a lot with charged heavy attacks. off the top of my head:
- you can get a charged heavy attack off his shield bash in phase 1 just by strafing around him so he misses
- you can get a light attack in after 2nd hit of his 4-hit stomp combo, then a charged heavy after the 4th hit
- when he starts tail swiping just roll it and you can a hit in
there's some other opportunities but you can pretty much punish every single one of his moves. most bosses are like that from what I've seen, once you learn the moveset you can be very aggressive

I accept your concession.

Getting really tired of trying to find enemies appropiate to my lvl, moving down through enemies in a mini-dungeon only to do like 1% hp damage to the boss and get two-shot.

>Rolls are quick, safe, and forgiving. You can roll with no stamina directly after attacking. Heals are near instant, potent, and you have a lot of them.
Heavily limit both. Just fix the problems directly.

That rolling thing is pure semantics, and means nothing when you consider i-frames and input queuing
>And every boss reads inputs and does a gap closer the instant you chug a potion
I don't know about reading inputs, but they definitely have alternate attacks they can string together to put you in scenarios where you get hit for not taking precaution to things you couldn't have reacted to before starting a swing. Spacing is gone, bosses have to be on your ass to catch up with healing and to perform roll catches.
And yes, if you couldn't swing and then immediately queue a roll away after the game would not be playable, on account of the new combat design
Not sure where the crying was in the post

my problem with ds2 is they started giving all enemies a magnetic rotation that allowed them to always face the player even while attacking. makes sense for little ninjas but not for giants and shit like that. this issue sadly carried on into every game afterward. ds1 did it correctly in a way that every enemy had weight to them that made sense.

The only game where dex builds were really good and fun. In DS1/3 and Elden Ring Dex is easily the weakest primary gameplay stat in the game.

Everyone threw a hissy fit over DS2 because it had the most retarded hit boxes in a video game. Seriously it was like “Orignal Mortal Kombat’s sweep move” territory

You might as well make the game turn based

>rollbabby mad that Fromsoft completely countered their braindead roll spam and instead forced them to actually learn the attacks and how to time dodges

Elden Ring truly is the gift that keeps on giving

Attached: 1636941884017.jpg (600x410, 67.69K)

Except guard countering a boss never actually works because everything they do is a multi hit combo

Waahhhhh why isn't everything easily telegraphed. He got to 25% and his moveset changed waaaaahhhhhhhhhh I'm a fuckin baby.

Whoops, tagged the wrong post entirely
retard can be seen here:

>have to waste stats on iframes
>>he HAS to waste stats on iframes

wait did DS2 filter people because it was too hard

2 had pretty good solo bosses the problem is they kept doing multi enemy bosses

Combat isn't fun. They fucked up the core element of the game. Making it more tedious because you inflate HP and make them ceaselessly chain attacks based to counter your inputs isn't good combat. AOE after effects taking up 80% of the arena on every boss isn't good combat.

tell me about it. As strength big sword user this game is unplayable. are you trying to get in 1 R1 after perfect dodging 7 hits in a row? yep, that gets punished by a jab of their own as well.

Because they want you to learn how to dodge.

>Get rid of instant bail-outs
>This makes it a turn-based game
I can't begin to imagine what went through your head. Was it foam?

basically the world got so good at souls games they have to mix it up or you'd just walk over every single boss
There's still things like the wolf boss in raya lucaria or erdtree avatars that dont really juke you and lo and behold, they're walkovers every single time

i love how the npc invaders just have infinite stamina

this is the reason why from hit their peak gameplay wise with bloodborne. everything is fast, but so are you. you can wait for openings but you can also play extremely aggressive because youre rewarded by recovering health

You dodge the first hit, them get close to the last hits in order to get the Counter.
It's literally trying to fuck with you instincts.
And From has being doing this since Bloodborne, any new Souls subseries tries to make you unlearn your instincts from the one that came before.

Attached: tumblr_olqvmcTa8C1urilnho2_r1_1280.jpg (613x1071, 142K)

Did they inflate the boss's hp cause they get tired of STR collosal weapon players killing bosses in 10 hits?

same. fucked me in the ass until i summoned and beat her. use fully upgraded mimic tear if you want easy mode.