Wait a minute

so how wasnt ds1 an open world game?

Attached: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (220x284, 25.29K)

A bunch of interconnected hallways are not an open world.

Could you go directly from undeadburg to anor londo without having to go through Sen's? It's just long, branching corridors.

it's pretty claustrophobic chief

that doesnt change the fact that you can go anywhere

of course you will need to pass from one area to get to the other

are you guys saying a big open field is what denotes an open world?
that seems like hairsplitting and autism markeitng speak

It's Metroidvania

You can "go anywhere" in Call of Duty campaigns too

>are you guys saying a big open field is what denotes an open world?
the primary hub needs to be a large, open area, yes. hence "open" world.

dark souls 1 is comprised of claustrophobic hallways, so by definition it is an enclosed world.

It doesn't have empty fields and le ebin crafting mechanics

you cant go anywhere from the get go in open world games either, usually endgame content is locked

are you saying botw is a metroidvania?

you cannot walk between missions in cod i dont even know what youre saying

so oot is an open world game?
this is silly, at what point does it change from an enclosed world to an open world? is there a definite amount of acres the map needs to be open?

at what point do the chokepoints make it enclosed?
elden ring has castles that only are accessible through the front gate, so it is an eclosed game?

im not saying im right, i just dont see the distinction and you guys havent made any actual points
seems you just say its open world because its called open world

>so oot is an open world game?
yes
>at what point does it change from an enclosed world to an open world?
there's no explicitly defined line, it's pretty blurry. most people can tell intuitively, but it's true that autists might have some trouble with it.

>you cannot walk between missions in cod i dont even know what youre saying
You can go to the menu and select the mission you want to play.

>inb4 hurr durr menu doesn't count
It does, it's a part of the game.

fair enough, no need to insult
so how isnt firelink shrine a hub?

low quality

>so how isnt firelink shrine a hub?
it is a hub, just a tiny enclosed one.

Give me one legit reason why the menu doesn't count. It's not a part of your PC/Console OS, it's a part of the game.

Anyone arguing the old spuls games are not open world have never played a game with levels.

The menu cursor isn't a character.

so if firelink was larger and had more fields, but no actual content

you would call it open world?
this is harsplitting

i agree that ds1 is a 3d metroidvania, its an open world 3d metroidvania

youre right about oot, its an open world action adventure

open world isnt a genre, its just wether or not you can freely roam the world
which you can do in ds1, regardless of how wide or narrow the areas are, you can access any area from any point in the world (given it is unlocked), and there are multiple paths that lead to them usually as it is not linear. you can complete areas in different order and you can walk through the whole game from to back without having to back out of the game.

so how is ds1 not an open world?
if the answer is because it "doesnt feel" like open world then ill accept that somewhat, even though the line is very blurry.

however you cant quantify a feeling, after all compared to demons souls, dark souls very much feels open world.

i think the hairsplitting we are looking for is the fact that "open world" implies the type of open world that elden ring, far cry, asscreed etc. are
which is a type of open world game but doesnt exclude a game like ds1

dont you agree?

DS1 is an open world game.

Any game that doesnt have a level select is open world.

>claustrophobic hallways
user, Firelink?
Bro, Ash Lake?
Sir, Blightown?
Amigo, Darkroot Forest?
Friendo, Oolacile?

Who cares man, it's just semantics. No need to get bogged down about what is and isn't "open world"
Dark Souls 1 is Dark Souls 1, I think we can just leave it at that. No need to put a label on everything.

>You can "go anywhere" in Call of Duty campaigns too
lazy bait

none of those are hubs, they're individual zones.

but is Elden Ring From Software's first open world souls-like game? like the shills are saying?

>>You can "go anywhere" in Call of Duty campaigns too
>lazy bait

Attached: 440.png (600x685, 157.13K)

All the Souls games have had freedom in how to approach bosses, they just didn't have big, empty, open spaces full of mindless running (outside of a few sections in Dark Souls 1)

Dark Souls 2 actually had the most freedom in how to approach everything

Attached: bossorder.png (994x1608, 454.13K)

Maybe this will help.

DS1 is Metroidvania style, essentially to get to all those places you listed, you have to go through a specific path. This would involve defeating bosses and advancing through the game. Can’t be done out the gate without glitches or exploits (or selecting master key for some areas).

Now take Skyrim, where you go instantly on foot go to Riften, solitude, whiterun, get the elder scroll, etc…you can take any path you want to get there. Not strung together by hallways but all laid out for you on an open field.

No
This

this is the truth, das1 is an open world game