*looks like absolute dogshit at any resolution but 4K in your way*

>*looks like absolute dogshit at any resolution but 4K in your way*

Attached: Temporal Anti-Aliasing .png (808x808, 11.87K)

>1080p is all i need
And people wonder why their games are blurry.

Works fine in 1440p unless its badly implemented like Fallout 4

Modern vidya looks blurry because of the Deferred Rendering and the fact that it makes MSAA unusable.
On top of this, modern hacks calling them "game devs" take various silly shortcuts (ie. 1-bit dithered alpha and shadow maps) to speed up their otherwise bloated game visuals (we're talking about 500+k polys per character, with up to half a dozen separated 4K textures for the PBR), meaning that without the temporal AA shit, things get super noisy.

Add in the ages-old cancers like bloom, lens flares, blur effects and chromatic aberration, and you got fucking eyesore games that look worse than some mid-00s PC games, simply because you can't quite appreciate any details and there's barely any color in the image.

Attached: TAA vs no AA - Type0 HD.jpg (1364x888, 190.49K)

>60fps is all i need
And people wonder why their games are blurry.

no

works fine, yes but it's not good, its never ideal even if it is okay, which is a massive bummer.
It'd be okay if you could actually play modern games without AA on, but turning it off completely breaks the visuals that dealing with the blur is preferable

alright then, why does modern vidya look blurry according to you?

>TAA off
>AI upscaling: OFF
This makes the modern vidya dev shit and piss in his pants. Choke on it you nigger monkeys, suck it down good.

I've noticed something after playing a hundreds of hours of modern vidya, and then going back to like a 10 year old game, like how much better my eyes feel playing older games. Genuinely the blur feels bad on your eyes, its like the blur makes you focus more intently on the image but it doesn't actually do anything so you're just straining your eyes for nothing. Then you go back and play an old game and it's mindblowing how easy it is to just see everything clearly.

It's funny, it was a 12 year old game that made me realize how good 1440p looked, like how sharp and beautiful the image got, modern games just aren't sharp anymore, regardless of your settings.

Because your resolution is low

and why do games from 10 years ago look crystal clear at the same resolution?

Reddit tier opinion

Try turning on MSAA in Red Dead 2, literally the entire screen shimmers when you're walking from texture crawl.

Because new games have temporal anti-aliasing that is optimized for 4k resolutions, so anything below that and they all look blurry.
Developers weren't making games for 4k televisions 10 years ago, that's why they look sharper.
Yes TAA is required for that game to look right, but it only looks the way it SHOULD look at 4k, it looks horribly blurry at 1080p and blurry still at 1440p. MSAA is not a better alternative, it looks terrible and I would rather play with TAA than it.

>fix it with reshade

Because games 10 years ago have less detail and "stuff" than games today.

Go play an early-to-mid 00's PC game at 4K + MSAA, and try to convince me that they would not look way sharper and clearer than the TAA-smeared Deferred rendering clusterfucks we get today.

Attached: MP2 4k native res.jpg (3840x2160, 1.14M)

>early-to-mid 00's PC game at 4K
That is the real patrician move.

Attached: NFS Underground 21_11_2020 08_56_48.jpg (3840x2160, 1.68M)

alan wake (original) looks fantastic to this day

Attached: AlanWake_2022_02_21_03_00_41_148.jpg (2560x1440, 2.22M)

The geometry is basic and there isn't a lot of detail. More detail in modern games requires higher resolutions to cover it all. A scene like this that's just mostly hard defined geometric edges isn't going to require so much resolution as a scene in a dense forest with swaying vegetation and complex lighting and shaders. 4k is also a resolution that was completely unfeasible for the time. Play a modern game at 8k+supersamling I guarantee it's not going to be blurry.

It's very effective at removing aliasing and producing a stable, "solid" image with good performance, but the result does look quite soft.
This is a good tradeoff for some games (like slower-paced adventure games with a filmic look and feel) and a bad one for others (frantic FPSs where it's important to recognise small details at a distance).