Steam Demo Festival

Since it's the last full day of the festival and I see no thread, let's get one going. What did you play, what do you recommend, and what did you drop from your wishlist?

Attached: nextfest.jpg (1055x452, 33.75K)

This time around I didn't try nearly as many demos as I did during previous events. I had less time and also didn't find as many games that personally appealed to me. So, out of the several I tried, only these were really worth noting:

>TFM: The First Men
It's basically Rimworld in a high fantasy setting. It even has the terrible yet charming programmer art like it. The main menu indicates that it'll have mod support and multiplayer, and from what I played it was pretty sweet. I foresee myself sinking a ton of hours into it down the road.

>The Unliving
Like a 2D sprite-based Overlord, you play a necromancer and control dozens of undead at once, probably 100+ at peak level, as you kill peasants and shit. Good art and has a story to follow. Solid little game.

>Souldiers
This was just a metroidvania, but the art was really nice (reminds me of Card Sagas Wars a little) and the setting felt pretty unique for these kinds of games, so I found it a lot more enjoyable than the average entry in the genre.

>Card Shark
By far the coolest demo I tried. It's like Kaiji in 18th century France, a simple yet very cool game about gambling and deceit that actually feels tense at times. Highly recommend checking it out.

Also, I wanted to try Battle Cry. Does anyone know if there's still players? It's almost 30gb so I'd rather not bother if it's already dead.

Attached: ss_01c17a9564650202f6a18bc411f587a6bc506b54.jpg (3840x2160, 1.91M)

My personal recommendations are ABRISS, Boundary, A Little To The Left, Madshot, Neon White, Silt, and Soulash.
I really wish I could have played more, but time got away from me this week somehow. There's still time left, but I still have over 30 unplayed demos.

Attached: 3a56cfdf33[1].png (260x455, 43.3K)

>Sort of liked:
Forest Grove
Nobodies: After Death
Winter Ember
Gone Rogue.
>Didn't care for:
Space Wreck
Cynthia: Hidden in the Moonshadow
The Last Oricru
Turbo Overkill
>Hated:
The Last Taxi
Remoteness
Child of Lothian
The Tower
Imprisoned Hyperion

If anyone remembers Space Team, Spacelines From The Far Out is a more fully featured take on that premise. You could play single-player, but its obviously meant to be played with friends.

Souldiers was alright but I don't like spiders. They give you a shitload of content, feels like the Spider Lair is big at least but you can't save. The controls are tight.

I'll probably pick up Hero's Hour myself and pirate some others just because I can't afford everything.

!

ive been working and playing Elden Ring but i managed to try 3 demos

>SCATHE
not good, DEFINITIVELY not good, they better overhaul this big time or im taking it out of my wishlist, right now its fucking awful

>Iron Oath
i think i played this before, either way its fun enough, i wish it didnt rely on text so much to describe events but the combat and exploration mechanics are decently fun

>Turbo Overkill
fucking amazing, fast as hell FPS with great guns and movement mechanics, it just needs a bit of tweaking in terms of player guidance or a map, either way im most likely getting it on release

Attached: 1645897562948.jpg (660x883, 95.47K)

>Card Shark
Awesome card cheating game. Inspired by Barry Lyndon. Be sure to drink wine and read the dialogue in a stereotypical french accent while playing.

>Neon White
Fun time attack first person parkour shooter. Soulful with high replay potential. Kinda reminds me of the mighty switch force games but instead of switching on/off blocks you're collecting cards to shoot enemies and navigate the levels.

>Symphony of War: Nephilim Saga
Fire Emblem/Tactics ogre like strategy rpg. Be sure to use integer scaling in something like lossless scaling to make the game look nicer. By default windowed mode is too small and fullscreen is blurry.

>The Brew Barons
Porco Rosso esque flying and brewey management simulator. Demo is an early build and a bit rough, but the concept is interesting and I feel like it has potential.

>Doors: Paradox
Port of a mobile puzzle game that has you fiddling around a diorama in order to get through a locked door. Similar to The Room series. Demo was too easy, so hopefully the full game is more difficult.

How many games did you wishlist? Was it more than you expected?

I played a game called Fey: Distant Daydream. I kept expecting jumpscares or horror elements, since the game is deliberately meant to look like the PS1 Resident Evil games, so the game sort of feels scary and tense, even though it's not.

Golfie is a really interesting concept and it actually works well. The demo feels polished, as well.
I feel like removing a life for falling off the map is overly harsh considering you already lose a stroke for it and get sent back to where you were in addition, and two of the three worlds are islands where 90% of the map is "off the map," but overall I still enjoyed it.

>they better overhaul this big time or im taking it out of my wishlist
Why put it on there to begin with?

Anyone want to play Pain Party?
I still haven't tried it.

i have no clue, they just announced the game 11 days ago, it wont be ready in a good while, the demo is just awful

>the level is flat with no verticality
>slow character movement
>enemies blend in with the environment
>enemies are either boring or annoying to fight
>only one weapon and it feels like absolute shit
>terrible sound design, the gun sounds flaccid, enemies barely make sounds and the point pickups have an ear raping pitch

they shouldve waited until they had something decent instead of something that looks like someone's first unreal engine project, i mean for fucks sake, you cant even remap the controls in the demo

Attached: 1645034048616.jpg (500x371, 25.32K)

I'd be down for a game or two.
You only need 2 to start a game but it would be nicer to have more. I've only played one game and I completed the map in 8 minutes so it isn't a big investment on your time.

IF ANYBODY WANTS TO PLAY PAIN PARTY THEN PLEASE RESPOND

yeah I still wanna try it

Recommended
>Neon White
>Small Saga
>Hero's Hour
>Tinykin
>Card Shark

Thought was neat
>ABRISS
>Tankocracy
>FixFox
>Automon
>The Wandering Village

Meh
>W40k Shootas, Blood & Teef

>Shootas, Blood & Teef
I misread that as "Shotas, Blood & Queef," which sounds like a more interesting game, frankly.

I was keeping a look on Card Shark since I saw a trailer on a nintendo indie thing some time ago and the demo didn't disappoint, loving everything about it so far.
Also, thanks anons for these threads, was busy with my finals and now that I'm done, i'm excited to download all that I can tomorrow and play some cool demos that I'm reading from these threads.

>make post
>go down to eat
>get roped into a bunch of other shit
>an hour goes by
Shit. You guys still here?

No, I meant why put it on your wishlist?

Yea. I made the first post you quoted.

ye

Any games similar to terraria? I just want a coop game to play with friends where we gather and build shit and fight stuff or not. I know open world survival craft is pretty saturated and shit but its a comfy genre to play with friends casually over the weekend.

Want to go with three? It may be all we get, considering how dead these threads are.

Okay I have a lobby up. US East. Again, it'll start with 2 people but we'll wait for the 3rd to join and we can wait a few minutes for others to hop in too.

I think Core Keeper is trying to be a kind of top-down Terraria, and has co-op, crafting, and fighting. I saw one or two other anons say it has some issues, but I haven't tried the demo yet myself.

I don't actually know how to join a lobby. Clicking multiplayer seems to take me to the hosting screen.

If you guys envoyed The Expanse TV series or its books, Ixion is basically like that. It's UI has a lot of similarities to Falling Frontiers (which is not part of Next Fest, but also is expected to release this year), but is more along the lines of "you have the equivalent of The Navoo and you need to build it out for the 100 year journey across the stars" (but scoped to the solar system with similar sci-fi elements of interest.

Those are my two recommends.

there's a join game button beneath the three map icons

give it time. there's a lot of sick fucks out there that wouldn't be above making game about teachers queefing period blood on kids.

click join game and select the correct server before or after

Attached: pain.jpg (1920x1080, 383.12K)

>select US East
>click Join Game
>says "joining game"
>immediately drops me into game world and says waiting for players
>no option to select server

Attached: 20220227194847_1.jpg (2560x1440, 171.5K)

yeah it should work that way fine but no idea why it's not letting you in our game