Are modern RPGs too easy?

Are modern RPGs too easy?

Attached: Wizardry1 ps1.jpg (800x834, 191.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lparchive.org/Wizardry-IV/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the moment they switched from theme focused to character focused is when they truely died

It would be cool if they brough some bullshit back. Level draining, for example, would be interesting to work around and would also generate enough seethe to power Any Forums for 10 minutes.

obsessed.

In all fairness, this might be the worst encounter in the game. Pretty sure this is a floor 10 encounter, and it's really unlikely you find all of these together at once, much less with a surprise round.
Wizardry 1's got some bullshit, but it's typically not nearly this bad.

I thought of a random thing that I associate with seethe off the top of my head, cope.

Isn't Wizardry 4 a lot more brutal than this?

They've definitely gotten more lenient and forgiving, but most Dungeon Crawlers difficulty come from poorly explained or entirely unexplained mechanics and effects.

I'm playing one such game now called Operation Abyss on Playstation Vita and it's pretty awful and miserable to play but I've been bitten by the gaming bug after so many years and I want to see it through to the end. I ended up almost getting wiped out because a boss group attacks with a Breath attack that targets all characters and has a high chance to Paralyze and of course almost half my party is crippled and useless because at this time there are no Paralyze restoring items in the game.

Attached: Wizardry4 difficulty.jpg (1200x1200, 1.07M)

Wizardry 1 looks bad, but you can cheese the game back. If a party member dies you can just close the game before the turn ends and you'll load back up outside of battle.

Not really.
Hard RPGs are a niche but they exist and regular RPGs never stop you to make challenge as easy or hard as you want, so I don't see the issue. Even Souls games have this property and people enjoy it a lot

I'm sure that's a feature and being able to reset your game quickly when something goes wrong is a dungeon crawler mechanic

Most of the difficulty is purely psychological in dungeon crawlers. The sense of being lost isn't comfortable for people, and those who aren't good at mapping/have no sense of direction/don't know about the usual traps of 3d dungeon games just adds to the fact that it's easy to get wrecked by the increasing number of encounters you'll face trying to get back on your feet.
Once you know the lay of the dungeon and what to expect, you can prepare yourself accordingly. But until then, it's going to suck, and that's just how it is.

>the insane difficulty is because you're literally the equivalent of a random encounter to the heroes
Wizardry 4 sounds fucking awesome. Ludonarrative Harmony taken to the extreme.

these early crpgs and roguelikes are inspired by pre-dnd and the very first edition of dnd
they were brutal
one of their quotes is literally
>The dungeon hates you.
Even tabletop is easier now.

A large number of the unique enemy encounters from the game were actual players' parties that were submitted. The very last handful of encounters consist of roleplaying and theater groups the lead devs interacted with in college, along with the lead devs themselves.

Attached: 1624420298574.jpg (900x812, 64.39K)

I like the look of Photon but Yotsuba is too iconic to not use. Both beat tommarow though.

Know what the good thing about old CRPGs was?

NO
GODDAMN
MOTHERFUCKING
SHITTY
FORCED
STUPID
USELESS
INTRUSIVE
CUTSCENES EVERY FIVE GODDAMN SECONDS
S T O R Y

>Make game that appeals directly to Grognards
>Even Gorgnards find it hard
>Most don't play it
>Casuals avoid it like the plague
>Company almost goes bankrupt
>Lesson learned, all future games appeal to normal players and occasionally to lowest common denominator

The "hardcore" fanbase is never the actual fanbase.

It would be nice, I remember being bootyblasted about being soul drained by Allant back when DeS came out.

lparchive.org/Wizardry-IV/
this old written let's play of wizardry 4 has always made for a fun read

Attached: rapedungeon.jpg (652x786, 59.33K)

t. Obsessed

no rpg is hard, some are simply tedious

Attached: f53dbc104274259.Y3JvcCw0NjEsMzYxLDI2MCwyMQ.png (404x316, 124.21K)

ye. Old RPG's were made by autists that catered to other autists. Nowadays you have devs that make generic rpgs that try to mimic the old RPG's.