Bravely Default 2

I loved the first one right up until the last two cycles when it suddenly ran out of content and was just re-running the same dungeons

How's 2? Denuvo was removed from the PC version last night

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 73.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3cJEm5Xjm8U
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/279452-bravely-default-ii/faqs/79146/bosses#domenic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I adore the first two games. But this one is just dull with worse Quality of life all across the board. Massive disappointment.

Worse QoL? Seriously?
I don't see how that could be possible

it doesn't have cycles like BD1 does. it has issues, just like any other bravely game.

pros:
much easier to level jobs and as such is built around you swapping jobs for different fights
VA is great
Music is an upgrade over BD and BS
new outfits are fantastic
BD2 counterparts are on average stronger characters than BD1's (ie Seth > Tiz, Gloria > Agnes)
harder to grind yourself out of difficulty(past a certain point)
the card minigame is great

cons:
overworld mobs instead of toggling random encounters
can't mindlessly automate grinding till 90% of the story (this is what people refer to as the QoL loss)
story falls apart at a very specific point
the big bad is just the most pathetically unthreatening villain in recent JRPG memory
a wonky artstyle that tries to be 'upscaled chibi' but looks more like the Bravely Second characters pushed through a Korean MMO filter
game breaks very easily with even a modicrum of understanding of how the game works

It also has absolutely nothing to do with BD1, excepting a sample of a character theme during a specific point so take that as you will

there's other perks and downfalls, but i'd have to spoil story (which i feel was told well till that aforementioned point) to elaborate

would recommend it, despite it all. was my GOTY 2021

*slurpee*
>it doesn’t need to be round-based
>it doesn’t need to have maps inside dungeons
>it doesn’t matter that it has meaningless “kill 5 goblins” sidequests
>it doesn’t need to keep track of sidequests
>it doesn’t matter that Casual, Normal, and Hard are nearly identical
>it doesn’t matter that you can’t manually change EXP gain, pg gain, JP gain, and encounter rate
>it doesn’t matter that you can’t save loadouts
>it doesn’t need auto-battle
>it doesn’t matter that you can’t manually continue Chain Battles
>it doesn’t matter that you can’t remap Brave and Default
>it doesn’t need to have a jukebox
>it doesn’t need to have any alternate outfits
>it doesn’t matter that you can’t rebuild Musa
>it doesn’t need Nemeses
>it doesn’t need Friend Summons
>it doesn’t need Abilink
>it doesn’t need Bravely Second
>it doesn’t need to be balanced
>it doesn’t matter that Speed is the only stat that matters
>it doesn’t matter that Weight affects Speed
>it doesn’t need to show damage modifiers on Skills beyond [nothing], “powerful”, “extremely powerful”, and “incredibly powerful”
>it doesn’t matter that enemies and bosses have hidden attributes such as resistances, immunities, absorbs, and counters
>it doesn’t matter that counters can activate from everything
>it doesn’t matter that counters defeat the purpose of the Job System
>it doesn’t matter that the Job outfits are too homogeneous
>it doesn’t matter that it has less Jobs than Bravely Second
>it doesn’t need any of the Jobs from Bravely Second
>it doesn’t need to look good
>it doesn’t matter that it has performance issues
>it doesn’t need to have a good story
>it doesn’t need to have good characters
>it doesn’t need Akihiko Yoshida
>it doesn’t need to have an accurate English translation
>it doesn’t need a patch

Attached: Shazam.jpg (675x860, 477.93K)

i coulda sworn you were killed when elden ring came out. got your knuckles rapped by miyazaki so now you're going after much much smaller targets?

I don't care for Shazam shitposting but 2 does have a lot of issues. They went backwards on balancing and combat feel compared to first game. Just enemy counter skills and early game balance hamper it a lot, not to mention the individual turned based system being a huge downgrade imo.

>enemy counter skills
individuals with combat experience have fighting styles that may be a counter to the style you are employing. its the roleplay part of the rpg

you don't think say, Bernard the thief, would see an opening when your mage stops to heal and would exploit it?

Yeah that's cool and all in theory except
>offensive counters are "balanced" around their random activation so you can expect a dead character the first time you find out about it
>especially until about mid game where you have more options some counters render certain character builds almost useless (counter in magic? have fun scraping your mage off the ground every brave)
>later counters are "you sneezed, BP +1" which is fucking retarded
Its far from a hard game but counters add difficulty in one of the most annoying ways possible.

>its the roleplay part of the rpg
I don't care, it's not fun to play against.

i understand your point, i do, and its difficult for me to say this without sounding like an ass but i need to say it.

the game isn't difficult enough to warrant this, even with the counters in.

my main argument against the counters is that it just funnels people into using X or Y build (Godspeed Strike usually). But I feel this is more a fault of Body Slam/Godspeed Strike/beastmaster stats in later game being too powerful. You absolutely can beat the Black Mage / Bastion / Bravebearer superboss fight without using 8x damage cap breaking aoe Godspeed Strikes (which the bastion actually does counter) its just not optimal. and the general RPG mindset as of late is that optimal is mandatory.

in short, i feel the counter system is fine as it provides a roleplay reason to add difficulty to encounters without just jacking numbers up, but i am also aware that players will optimize the fun out of anything. its a difficult problem

I'm a big JRPGfag. I liked both BD and BS, but I dropped BD2 about 5 hours in. didn't really like any of the characters and felt like the jobs were soulless.

I genuinely enjoyed it. Reminded me of a solid OG Final Fantasy game.

It would be decently challenging if Godspeed Strike couldn't carry you from the early game all the way to the endgame.

I think the main problem with BD2 was that the developers were fully aware that half the fun of a FF5-style job system is breaking the game in half with skill synergies, but they added too many easy-to-access "I win button" skills (unlike BD1, where you usually had to put a little thought into making a broken build), plus there's only one superboss, and you're not even forced to use the some of the more powerful class synergies to defeat him.

how often will the average player (ie not a Any Forums spergs like us that have decades of experience in the genre) stumble into a godspeed strike build and max out the speed stat?

not very often. because none of the bosses in the campaign are difficult enough to drastically change your setup, when you can just approach a boss more defensively (which is how i beat Adam). people aren't going to look for minmax shit when they think they can beat the boss with a change in strategy. and most of the time they're right

>Do Anything: BP+1 as a counter
>This is good gameplay

Godspeed strike's speed scaling is pretty minimal, so there's nothing stopping you from having 3x Freelancer/Beastmaster + 1 support who all use 4x Godspeed strike on turn one to nuke the boss before they can get a single move off.

what bosses have this particular ability.

i'll give you a hint: Zero

did you miss the part where i said 'people who don't powergame'. i figured out Godspeed Strike pretty quickly, and used it forever, because i hate fun. but the average player won't. that build came to you quite easily and you think other people would see it too. WE are not average players user. the average player is gonna try out new asterisks as soon as they get them and only stick with them if they have immediate gain in power. till they look up a walkthrough or guide, they're not like us

So many enemies have "Counter Any Ability", what do you mean.

Every Asterisk rematch has that, as does the Oracle in the first fight (which is at least manageable), among others.

Bringing Revo back was the right call.
youtube.com/watch?v=3cJEm5Xjm8U

Attached: 1436118186665.png (170x273, 27.55K)

2 is great if you were a big fan of 1. If you loved Second, then you'll probably hate 2. It's more of a "sorry, we fucked up. Here's something familiar" type of game.

gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch/279452-bravely-default-ii/faqs/79146/bosses#domenic

'Any Damage' is not 'Counter Any Ability'. maybe you should try a burst damage strategy against him rather than trying to whittle him down eh?

I said he was manageable. All the optional stuff forces you to use busted strategies in a one-size fits all solution because Godspeed Strike just breaks the game wide open.

See I felt like the various mechanics of 2 worked against each other in regard to choosing optimal or not. On one hand, I get the feeling that most of the game was balanced around constantly shuffling jobs on your party instead of grabbing an optimal loadout and only using that. Counters go along with encouraging a playstyle other than picking the most unga of your bunga to throw at the enemy. However
>magic has worse itemization and your "best" caster for a while is red mage (suboptimal matk) due to double cast, net result is being walled stupidly hard by certain enemy Mdef stats
>have literally never had mage be useful against a red overworld boss until end end end game because of this, as they do 10% the damage of a phys build
>then come endgame you can shit out millions of damage per turn with Reflect cheese
>individual turns utterly fuck buff/debuff turn economy especially due to buffs not refreshing; if you're not saving bp to buff attack x4 for allies to then use x4 attacks, buffs fall off on various people out of sync and feel like shit to use
>this funnels the player towards burst strategies, but bursting can get you instantly killed because of a counter against that build
>individual death doesn't matter much and you're honestly much better off bursting and dying than taking it slow and steady
>but this still feels disruptive as fuck and annoying
Basically my impression was that the game couldn't decide whether it wanted to let you play nice and slow or whether you had to optimize your damage. Any time I had to take a second attempt at a boss due to counters, I just switched from my in progress classes to my mastered burst setup and instantly won, makes counters feel more like they hurt normal play instead of cheese setups. Especially by end game, where all these free BP counters and Physical/Magical reflect just made me say fuck this and obliterate everything with the Reflect strategy

>there are people who got filtered by Domenic
The only way I can see this happening is if anons are newfags to the series or just kept the difficulty setting on easy/normal in the first two games. Many of the bosses felt two easy, and counter abilities did very little to hinder me.

OP here
Sounds like I'll like this game because finding broken shit in Default was the best part
Seems lame that you can't automate or speed up the grind or turn off encounters but I can deal with doing things the hard way

BD2 is less grindy than BD1 if you're trying to level jobs. In fact, you can grind JP pretty efficiently straight out of the starter town if you know what you're doing.