Eventually a new game could redefine the standard open world games follow...

Eventually a new game could redefine the standard open world games follow, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

Attached: legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-title.jpg (1280x720, 106.97K)

hang in there bro

Attached: switch pro.png (876x454, 275.41K)

Elden Ring JUST came out user

Attached: frog.jpg (250x187, 6.51K)

I keep thinking BOTW just came out, but it's already been 5 years. Time is going by too fast bros...

what exactly is it about open world games that needs to be redefined?

the gameplay, an open world is just a backdrop for a game, games need to innovate in their gameplay desperately
i hate how sim-samey games feel to play nowadays

it's been the same shitty standard for the same shitty genre since 2007.

Attached: 5E16329A-619F-4E6D-A38F-2D305168321B.jpg (283x352, 21.04K)

How did BotW innovate on Minecraft

Attached: 830703.jpg (408x286, 25.68K)

open worlds hog time and resources that could have been put towards the gameplay. it's not an accident that they all look, feel and play roughly the same. it's just the harsh reality of game development.

only visuals and framerates are impacted by a seamless worldspace, but games like BotW and ER prove that the gameplay doesn't have to take the backseat, what i said stands, innovate gameplay

ER doesn't do anything innovative.

They saw elden ring before everyone and gave up on botw2 they knew they had no chances..

botw has no gameplay and elden ring is just the same dodge roll simulator that fromsoft has been copy-pasting since 2009.

Attached: 1645502868546.jpg (490x706, 46.65K)

yeah yeah yeah, downplay it all you want but a game like THIS hasn't been a thing since fucking Gothic

The resemblance... it's striking

Attached: gothic.jpg (1024x768, 160.03K)

pic not related. It was yet another Ubi clone.

"games" like elden ring have been released multiple times a year every year since 2007.

nah

yeah.

Attached: openworldgeneric.jpg (1920x2700, 1.57M)

ain't broke so doesn't really need fixing, though i do dislike the way open world games have embraced waypoints and the like. it's not really exploration when my gps is telling me where to go. some games let you turn it off but often npcs don't provide sufficient directions because the game was designed with gps/radar in mind, or a poorly designed map won't have natural landmarks to orient oneself

still no

Dark Souls with a bigger, more open map is nothing like Gothic. what are you smoking? are there even settlements with human NPCs? is there an actual RPG skill system instead of just number increases this time?