Do you agree? should player agency be sacrificed to tell more emotional cinematic stories?

do you agree? should player agency be sacrificed to tell more emotional cinematic stories?

Attached: Screenshot_20220116_123634.jpg (1080x1065, 330.39K)

idk

He's right that open world garbage is absolute dogshit, if that's what he's getting at. Also lol at implying Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't have its missions be linear as shit. It's the same Rockstar formula as always. Either ways, linear or non linear missions, open world garbage is a meme that needs to die ASAP

movie games are just movies. just like a recording of a stage play is still just a stage play and not a movie. sacrificing player agency in video games is the equivalent of sacrificing cinematics in movies. it's a ludicrous suggestion but also an acceptable opinion because video game playerbase is populated by people who dont actually want to play video games.

Depends on the game and how it is meant to be structured as.

If you want to be railroaded in a story just read a book or watch a movie.
The entire point of a video game is that it's interactive.

Games shouldn't have stories.

Player agency is the entire point of playing a videogame.

As I get older I get more and more bored with moviegames and linear stories. I'd rather spend my time making my own stories in an emergent sandbox like Zomboid or Kenshi, that gives you a shitload of depth and just lets you wander around the world doing whatever you want. I don't think I've actually finished a game with a story for years, the last one was Dying Light 1 I think.

Attached: 1636113656197.png (247x223, 114.56K)

>muh stories
Out, faggotron.
>Any Forums- plebbit posting
You out too.

Absolutely not. Detroit without any choices would be just a generic movie. Choices make people care and think about events much more.

The best thing about video games is when they give player freedom to be creative and engage with the world.

>I would sacrifice absolutely nothing in the story told by RDR2 in order to give the player more agency and choice.
I genuinely hope this faggot and everyone that agrees with him get murdered. RDR2 has the worst fucking mission design I've ever seen. It's embarrassing considering the level of quality put into everything EXCEPT the fucking video game part of it. Holy shit they need to start throwing Redditors off of buildings like fags in Iran.

No because I’m a sperg that’s terrible at empathizing with fictional characters and taking away my player freedom to improve something that I don’t give a shit about would be boring as fuck to me.

If I can complete an objective 20 different ways, but the only thing it really affects is my score/ranking, then what's the point? This is why people love games like Deus Ex; the way you choose to PLAY the game matters just as much as the dialogue options you pick.

some people dont like game and prefer movies
just dont mislead anyone into calling it a game

As always, it depends. Some games have a million (more like 4) different ways to complete a stage, others are straight lines. Either way though you retards will trick yourselves into being mad about it.

Attached: Ehhhh.gif (498x336, 385.46K)

Children.

Not even five games in total ever have meaningful choices or offer engaging well designed multiple approaches to situations and they just end up taking away time and resources from making actually good content. Stop ruining games by demanding they be toys for you to rattle and break and ask for good games instead, small minded retards like you are the reason every game nowadays is open world cancer.

What is a good game then

>Not even five games in total ever have meaningful choices or offer engaging well designed multiple approaches
Shows what you play, shitter.

This

Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, Deus Ex

Cry more but stop ruining games with your shitty uninformed opinion

I dont play story games
If I wanted a story I would read a book or watch a movie
I play games to experience the true freedom and creativity that the virtual medium offers.

These fucking people need to read a book or something honestly what the fuck is wrong with them? There's like three games I have ever played where I cared about the story and one of those was mgs and I don't even remember what the fuck happens in it because it was so long ago

But those are the epitome of player choice.

>Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, Deus Ex
All of those have player choices and different approaches to situations, dip.

WATCH A MOVIE YOU IDIOTS

No
Just create a new genre of interactive movies and leave us alone

Yes, most games struggle doing one thing right. The ones that try to do 5 different things end up even worse.

Yes, and almost no other games came close to rivaling them and should just stay in their lane instead of trying to be something they're not and failing at both things