PS3

>No games until like 2009
>Shit third-party ports
>Nightmare of a processor
>Really expensive
>Really shit online at first
>Movie games

How the fuck did the PS3 still sell 83 million units???????

Attached: ps3.png (1280x720, 525.98K)

because the USA is full of niggers

I bought a PS3 when PSN got hacked in 2011.
I wanted to support them, since I always liked PlayStation and saw the PS3 as the less popular underdog console.

I feel strongly about the PS Vita as well, I really love my PS Vita.

microsoft let the 360 die after 2011. literally no good 360 exclusives came out after 2011

it got much better after a few years and it had free internet access to your own internet instead of what we have today.

Attached: tiff.png (331x608, 92.08K)

Mostly this.
Kinect was Microsoft shooting themselves in the face while standing on the podium.

599 DOLLARS

Attached: 1643048425172.webm (640x492, 1.92M)

A number of factors. First of all is, naturally, the fanbase was still there. People still wanted PS3s, even despite the high pricetag. In fact, it had an air of status to it before the price cuts set in. Second, Sony very aggressively marketed it after the lackluster launch. Third, Xbox squandered its early lead when they started R&D on Kinect. Lost most of their exclusives while PS3 started getting its own. Fourth, Japan. Xbox didn't even try to keep its presence in Japan. PS3 was where niche Japanese localizations started to explode in the west. Not in 83m numbers, obviously, but the market was gradually reminded that Japanese developers weren't irrelevant. Especially with Souls games happening that gen.

TL;DR it was a combination of a dedicated recovery, exclusives that were able to cater to many different types of people from mainstream to niche, and Microsoft just straight up shooting themselves in the foot the moment they tasted profitability.

Oh, and the online service went a long way towards good will, too.

>Kevin Butler
>Price cut
>Better advertising in general outside of Kevin Butler
>Continued distribution after competition had ended production
In America PS3 won*, but nobody talks about the PS3. Everyone talks about the 360 because that's what everyone had and played when the generation still mattered (before the PSMove and Kinect introductions).

360 sold more than the PS3 did in the US and it wasn't even remotely close.
Europe is the only reason the sales for the PS3 even got close to the 360 in the tail end of the generation.

the only good game xbox 360 had was ninja gaiden 2

Because Microsoft had no presence in 90% of Europe and basically 0% in Asia so playstation was the default choice regardless of how much better the 360 was. That's always been Microsoft's shortcoming.

It sold well at launch because people were just starting to get HD tvs and standalone bluray players were also expensive as fuck.

Europeans mostly. Nearly everyone i knew had 360 and halo 3

Red Ring of Death was the #1 reason

Attached: 1628280128740.png (220x165, 33.68K)

>America
Meant Europe, sorry.

It didn't really matter in the end because the PS3 was an enormous financial failure that they never really recovered from, it was so bad that there were serious discussions being had about cutting their losses and scrapping the Playstation brand all together.
They were still tens of billions of dollars in the red by the end of the PS3s life.

PS4 seemed to do pretty well for them though (Mostly due to MS being retards even into the next generation and them finally realizing they can charge every owner 5$ a month) so it seems like keeping it going worked out for them eventually.

By the time PS3 started even getting any kind of market share back from the 360 the RROD was a non issue.
The real reason is because MS decided to commit suicide with the Kinect.

I mean it was a massive flop for them, that they had to restructure to completely recover from.

Attached: 1645151684667.jpg (1024x510, 54K)

360 still won as it was actually a financial success for once, unlike the original xbox. You've gotta remember too M$ went into this generation with so little marketshare compared to the PS2.

I hate dealing with hypotheticals but I genuinely think if the 360 flopped, the xbox brand may not exist today

thats fucking crazy that even during the ps2 era sony was not even really making more money than nintendo. I get that nintendo also had the gameboy advance then, but the ps2 sold like 6x more than the gamecube

100% if the 360 flopped Xbox would have been scrapped.
Just like how Sony seriously considered canning Playstation after the PS3, Microsoft seriously considered canning Xbox after the Xbox One.

Still cheaper, even at launch, than a PS4&PS+ subscription.

It's because Nintendos margins on their products are way higher.

Alot of the PS2s sales happened after the release of the PS3 as well as the fact that Sony is third party driven platform, so they used to sell their consoles at either a loss or breakeven

Attached: 1633562392113.png (859x552, 47.96K)

>120fps, 1080p
>arbitrarily hard to develop for because developers should feel privileged to even be able to develop for the successor to the ps2
>2 jobs
>shit controller
the answers are drones, brand recognition, biased media, bullshot marketing and selling promises until they were ready to sell products. i got a ps3 in 2010 with demon's souls.

I remember when I wanted a PS2 to play some of the older GTAs and whatever else. I was gonna get a crappy fatty PS2 from Gamestop when they were like $60 around 2011.

I went, put one on the counter and the guy was like "hold on buddy", and went into the backroom. He came back with a brand new slim marked down for the same price. Cool guy and good times.

It's a good thing they didn't. Microsoft probably wouldn't have backtracked on their always on-DRM and their used games policy if their only competition was Nintendo, and Nintendo doesn't even try to compete.

/thread

Attached: 1601040109777.jpg (640x526, 78.32K)