We have tons of Earthbound inspired games. Tons of Final Fantasy / DQ like games...

We have tons of Earthbound inspired games. Tons of Final Fantasy / DQ like games. But where are all the Chrono Trigger inspired games? I though this was a massively popular jrpg?

Attached: ctr.png (689x637, 549.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u0tsfZdCt4w
youtube.com/watch?v=juKE8FvMky0
youtube.com/watch?v=yJHvReBBtu0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: seaofstars.png (1552x873, 1.72M)

Well. There is one upcoming indie game that copies Chrono Trigger.

It even has the same composer who worked on Chrono Trigger's soundtrack.

youtu.be/u0tsfZdCt4w

Attached: steam-content-header.png (616x417, 451.29K)

Its reputation is bigger than its popularity as an actual game.

Because Earthbound's cartoony look is much, much easier to copy. People meme on Toriyama's DB art but he's still a better artist than any indie wannabe.

Cosmic Star Heroine
I am Setsuna
Lost Sphear

>Still no KH inspired games

Attached: 44.png (1280x842, 991.57K)

All of these suck

There's also Cosmic Star Heroine which had a very CT like battle system and was clearly inspired by it. youtube.com/watch?v=juKE8FvMky0

The most obvious one though is I Am Setsuna which is basically a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger in terms of gameplay. It's a shame the story and setting weren't that great, because the battle system was pretty good. It felt like what Chrono Cross should have been. youtube.com/watch?v=yJHvReBBtu0

It plays very similar to 90s FF. Only difference is no battle screen and team attacks.

There's a bit more to it than that. The area of effect attacks and enemies moving around during battle adds an extra layer to the strategic element, even if it is a really easy game. Instead of continuing with 4 niggas in a row gameplay, JRPGs should have really took the ball and ran with it with what CT established was possible, but they didn't and you are left with a rather stagnant gameplay style as a result.

Why is this not available on PSN for like 5 bucks? Do they want me to just emulate it for free?

>But where are all the Chrono Trigger inspired games? I though this was a massively popular jrpg?
It's the most barebones basic JRPG around. Pick 5 JRPGS at random and I guarantee it's inspired by chrono trigger

Because it's infinitely easier to code an Earthbound game because of its shitty barebones Dragon Quest style combat system with no jobs or customization for characters, just a straight grind you have no control over from start to finish in a completely linear plot that requires no backwards or sideways thinking.

It would take time to not only program a more immersive battle system like Chrono Trigger but to sit down and hash out a world where you have actually plot out events and create consequences for actions.

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 98.68K)

I've been thinking about it, and it is actually easier to make a CT style RPG than an FF6 style RPG.
>No random battles, just triggers for battles in already set places

how the fuck is copying a random encounter generator that's been in use since the fucking 80's more difficult than creating dozens upon dozens of set pieces and fights, all while making sure the player is not over/underleveled, or bored by too many fights back to back.
stupid retard nigger

Cosmic Star Heroine is great.

Chrono Trigger doesn't have a job system or any character customization either what the fuck are you on about retard? Chrono Trigger is mostly linear as well and there's some parts in Earthbound where you're forced to backtrack. You clearly haven't played either game.

Already pre-ordered. The demo was awesome and the game looks amazing with every update they post.

Attached: whos a cute pepe.jpg (572x536, 21.68K)

I'd wager there are far more balancing issues in creating an FF6 style RPG from scratch. Way more enemies. There's like 4 enemy types per era in CT, and tons are just palette swaps and sprite edits. Even a bunch of the bosses are swaps and edits. If not visually, then code. Using RPG Maker software it is no contest that an FF6 RPG would be easier, but from scratch, a CT-alike could be easy if you followed their design and structure.

I'm curious, how does I Am Setsuna improve on Chrono Trigger's battle system?

>There's a bit more to it than that. The area of effect attacks and enemies moving around during battle adds an extra layer to the strategic element, even if it is a really easy game. Instead of continuing with 4 niggas in a row gameplay, JRPGs should have really took the ball and ran with it with what CT established was possible, but they didn't and you are left with a rather stagnant gameplay style as a result.
Fully agree, just that simple mechanic makes Chrono Trigger a lot more engaging than the four niggas in a row. Actually the only rpg I liked having the ATB in

I'm not saying Chrono Trigger's combat is difficult, but imitating it takes a bit more work than was DQ offers. Which means all the rpg indie devs can't just slap sprites into rpgmaker and call it a chrono trigger spiritual succesor

But there's Timesplitters, the greatest fps series of all time.

I pray every day for a pc release with multiplayer

Attached: tsfp-2.jpg (1018x638, 134.44K)

Well, there's more Techs for number one, and by extension more dual and triple tech combos too. There is a 5th added element of Time in addition to the returning four. There is a timing minigame that revolves around boosting attacks for extra damage using a resource you earn during combat. Techs are also not static and function in loadouts, and the techs you use can gain special augments and traits called fluxes if you use them long enough, such as damage boost, ATB boost, critical hit multiplier, etc. There's also support skills and passive abilities you can equip instead of techs as well. It really did feel like the next step for CT's battle system, just two decades too late.

Lost Sphear, as much as it wasn't great, took it a step further by allowing you to tactically move your characters around in battle to line up your party to take better advantage of tech areas of effects and patterns. It really was all steps in the right direction. It's just too bad the games weren't very good.