Has reading the lore ever really changed your perspective on a game's story?

I know FNAF is the biggest example, but Halo also has some surprising twists to it
>games portray the UNSC as the protector of all humanity, and a universally morally good faction compared to the covenant
>meanwhile, Earth is actually under a military dictatorship, with the UNSC still at war with the human rebels both before and after their war with the Covenant
>Spartans were originally created not to fight aliens, but instead to put down growing insurrectionist groups in the outer colonies, and were repurposed after the Covenant were discovered
It's funny, because the games always portray Master Chief as this symbol of hope for humanity, when in reality, anyone who wasn't in the military would've probably seen him more like Homelander from The Boys.

Attached: 1200px-HM-SIIs.png (1200x962, 2.19M)

Dark Souls and NieR come to mind.

i always think they're cool supplementary material that they usually couldn't fit into the main story or scope so they put them as a cool side story. It's a fun distraction when available.

It's not a huge thing, but reading the fall of reach adds a lot of context to Halo CE
I had no idea there were other Spartans, or the events leading up to CE

No really. Given the fact that most of what you just said never makes it into the games therefore doesn’t matter.
Outside of 4s retarded intro scene with Halsey, nobody fucking cares about the Spartans origins and we are constantly battling new enemies

For the record Bungie hated the books and fought Microsoft for trying to expand the universe of the games.
Hell they even contradicted it by making Chief the last Spartan by Halo 2 and 3 when in the books there's Spartans out the fucking wazoo.

the fall of reach was fucking kino and 12 years later I'm still mad that Halo Reach had nothing to do with it. I wanted to see spartans jumping out of a burning pelican kilometers above the surface without parachutes

Yeah Bloodyborne had 0 story until I read item descriptions. What a shit way to tell a story, make players read item descriptions lmoa

Halo Book Lore is cringe and Bungie righftully ignored when making the trilogy, because the atmosphere and tone of those games don't fit with how the book portray the universe

Japs are too lazy to provide kino exposition, too unartistic to make cutscenes and too shit writers to tell a story without le
> this sword is from a fallen angel who coomed too much so he became a demon
and then just hope whatever brain anyreusm they had writing the description fits into a cohesive story

>UNSC being a dictatorship
Obviously? Hard to be a democracy when your society is trying to survive mass murdering genocidal aliens
>Muh innies
Fuck innies, they shitbags with an entitlement complex. Spartans being made to knock them down was so less people had to die fighting them and their bullshit.

>FNAF and Halo lore
I'm too old for this board

Wanna talk about elder scrolls lore instead?

“Muh free mars” type people are literal retards by the way. Your desert shithole is less habitable than Antarctica, the fuck you plan to do if you are independent and self sufficient? live off shit potatos?

I don’t read Halo’s books plus the games change the books lore anyway, so what’s the point in even reading them?

Halo reach had limitations being on the 360 it had a decent size scope for the console it was on

fuck the lore the king of the unsc is lord terrence hood. you see how his wife, dr halsey, created cortana? thats because master chief is the prince, hes lord hoods son, thats why he marries cortana who is his digital sister. It all makes sense when you realize that they added dinosaurs as playable characters in halo 2, whom are 33% larger than human beings. Thel Vadamee is a muslim!

Covenant is Persia
UNSC is Sparta

Halo Reach was shallow as fuck with a bunch of characters crafted to die off one after another

Attached: og_SpOdz_CPtQfDSlQTgtkgseRjIdvB_W0xMXf5lN94[1].jpg (1024x506, 95.25K)

This it even happened with Infinite, the games and books feel like they’re in different universes.

>For the record Bungie hated the books
Based. Halo doesn't need to be that grimdark.

In my view it just seems weird to make the UNSC more vilified or grey in motive when the forces they fight include a caste theocracy that wants genocide of the human species because they can play with forerunner toys and literal space cancer.

Like any lorefag that wants sympathy with elites After the genocidal campaign they waged is fucking delusional. Or likes Nazis. Usually both.

the whole ebil space fascists/glownigger thing wasn't present in any of the books until 343 took the reigns.

Like in some EU material grey team blew up a covie planet and this somehow was seen as bad? Fuck em, they glassed countless worlds with humans on it with barely a tear shed for their retarded ideology. There is no redeeming qualities to covenant species, even that alliance shit was a last minute heel turn by the elites done because prophets backstabbed them. If that didn’t happen those elites would’ve happily glassed all of earth too.

It also just does not make any sense given that again, even if they are more authoritarian than today so what? They are fighting existential threats, that changes the equation massively. The flaw in lore I see is the idea of them needing to hide the Spartan program from civilians at all. Even against innies, because fuck secessionists. You tell me they can’t find patriotic parents who wouldn’t want to send their kids off to Spartan training to become super soldiers? Think of the shit parents put their kids through today, the idea they needed to secretive shit is just non sense. And is a very contrived evil.