In 20 years not one video game has had better writing than this one

In 20 years not one video game has had better writing than this one.

Why?

Attached: 1645287160500.jpg (530x334, 67.82K)

Because no one cares about that shit. They’re video games, go read a fucking book.

I played this "game" last year and the writing is not what it is cracked out to be.

the characters were kinda clichès except Morte and the MC.

could be many better but still good.
sadly about how many clichè RPG faggots are forced to put for their """"roleplay""""

name one video game with better writing

Psychonauts

Disco Elysium

Deadly premonition

this story can't even compete

bug's life

it's just text text text, the combat is shit and many of the mechanics are tedious.
read a book instead.

Now, I think many people give PS:T too much flak by claiming it's just a visual novel or something when it clearly isn't, but while there's some aspects where mechanics tie to the story (frequent stat checks, places where you advance the story by dying, etc) and at base level it's no different from other infinity engine RPGs at all besides combat being much less frequent, at the end of the day the story/worldbuilding is mostly structured and delivered as though it was a book, just like lots of contemporary AAA games are wanna-be movies.

I think that's, if not a fundamentally misguided approach, then not one I value in particular. If you compare PS:T to games like, say, Return of the Obra Dinn or Dominions or UnReal World or whatever, the wordswordswords approach in PS:T isn't even directly comparable. Obra Dinn is entirely pre-determined story but the structure is uniquely video games, Dominions is superior in mechanical storytelling (my favorite example is a worldbuilding detail that shows Heart Companions of Arcoscephale, inspired by Sacred Band of Thebes, are mechanically gay: they are immune to seduction by women) and it also has fucking good fluff that I think is far more inspired than Planescape, and games like URW are pure emergence but that emergence doesn't happen in a vacuum but instead the mechanics are designed to produce certain brands of emergent stories (if it didn't have dynamic ice thickness, you couldn't have dramatic stories about falling into weak ice)! If you judge them by the quality of their wordswordswords then PS:T is better, duh, but if judge them for the quality of their narratives by the standards of video games as I do you , PS:T is all right (on account of those stat checks and everything) but doesn't compare to any of the games listed, or many others.

You could also argue about if there in fact are games that have better wordswordswords, but I'm not interested in that.

ffxiv and nier automata

nier automata
bioshock infinite
kingdom hearts
mass effect
final fantasy XIV
persona 5

Disco Elysium

50 Cent Blood on the Sand

Cringe

Based

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 4

kotor
soma
grim fandango

I went through this phase, eventually I realized there wasn't anything lesser about cinematic or literary games. Games like Brothers or Obra Dinn are good for exploring new storytelling techniques and expanding the toolset video games stories have to work with, but there's nothing about it that invalidates traditional storytelling in games.

dos2, disco elysium, dao

In English please