SM64 Romhack Discussion + Recommendations

Been getting into SM64 hacks for the last year or so, beat a few of em now, lemme give my thoughts.

Star Road: Good and mostly fun, but gets bullshit hard sometimes to where I saw no option but save-stating, something I personally think is a design failure for a ROMhack.

Last Impact: Kind of really bad to be honest, more interested in showing off jank ASM achievements than giving a fun game, didn't even finish this one, got like 2 worlds in.

Ztar Attack Rebooted: Really good, close to exactly what I want out of an SM64 romhack, though the level design is a bit closed-quarters for the SM64 camera.

Star Revenge 6.25: Good, but the levels are all way too big, takes forever to repeat a star because most of your time is spent getting back to the star itself after dying.

The Green Stars: Dated, to say the least, I played a few worlds in but it's really hard to get into nowadays.

SM64 Sapphire: The best one I've played yet, it may be short but that just means it doesn't drag on like a lot of these ROMhacks end up doing in a quest to have the most stars that take the most effort to achieve.

B3313: I never got the whole 'SM64 is creepy' thing, so a lot of this hack was lost on me, I honestly just thought it was visually interesting and fun to explore and wish it had an alt. release where it actually tracked your stars properly and didn't put 90% of 'em as castle secret stars.

That's all the ones I'm done with, but right now I'm in the middle of playing Super Luigi 64: The Flower Cup. I have been pleasantly surprised by this hack, I'm 106 stars in of 161 total. Sometimes the stars randomly have a stupidly big difficulty spike but it's overall a moderately challenging substantial experience. However, some stars that ARE particularly difficult are made so because they're just too long, I found myself saying A LOT 'if this were base game the star would be over by now'.
Anyway, all that aside, I'm wondering if I can get some recommendations based on my views, thanks!

Attached: GHZ.png (700x488, 619.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y4ETVHuOS1E?t=224
youtube.com/watch?v=_gAT2wjuzpw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtu.be/y4ETVHuOS1E?t=224

Attached: A.png (184x172, 2.77K)

why does retroarch not read my controller correctly unless I run it through steam to use its controller config instead?

kaizo

>Star Revenge 6.25: Good, but the levels are all way too big
I 100%'d that game just a week or so ago and didn't find them to be overtly big at all for the most part. The difficulty did get borderline kaizo at times and there was a smidge of speedrunner autism here and there with some of the platforming you're expected to do. Otherwise it was very solid and well thought out. I've played this guy's hacks before years ago so this wasn't surprising. Guess if you crank these things out on a yearly basis you're bound to get good at it. The squid kid OCs are uh... yeah. They're there. Bit weird, but least they don't intrude too much and can be safely ignored.

Attached: 1643790420356.jpg (1000x1495, 66.99K)

Good thread bro

Forgot all about the squid kid OCs, got second hand embarrassment from them myself. Anyway yeah some of the later challenges in the game are so fucking difficult and I just wish more ROMhackers would keep a lid on how hard they wanna flex on being good at SM64 with their challenge designs.

Star Revenge 3.5 and 3.9 are masterpieces.

Attached: RetroArch ParaLLEl N64 2.0-rc2 28c4572 2022-01-30 03-56-09.webm (1280x820, 1.9M)

Are you subscribed to simpleflips? He regularly has romhack competitions so he's played it has to be hundreds of them by now and you can go download any of those.

The Squid Kid OC's are cringekino and you strangely get attached to them as villains if you play through the entire series.

Yeah I'm subbed to him, I'm interested in some of the slide competition hacks for sure for example, not too into his actual commentary but he's the best way to find good, new hacks for sure.
Semi-related, someone else who plays these hacks is Snooplax but I swear that guys commentary is like a charisma vacuum.

Yeah I'm definitely willing to give other Star Revenge entries a try since 6.25 was mostly quite good, I'll put those on my todo list.

This is the best level of any mario 64 romhack

youtube.com/watch?v=_gAT2wjuzpw

Attached: 1626729153033.webm (666x374, 2.88M)

I downloaded literally a dozen different SM64 roms and tried to apply the star road patch but none of the rom checksums matched the one required for the patch.

what emulator do people prefer for mario 64 romhacks?

I always just go to Vimm's Lair, slow as fuck downloads but they've never once failed me.

I use PJ64 3.0.1 but a lot of people are warey of PJ64 since a few versions were fucked up and had adware in them, but I believe that's only the 2.0 to 2.2 releases. Otherwise, there's an up and comer specifically for SM64 hacks called Parallel that you might wanna check out.

Parallel Launcher because hacks have different graphics plugin/emulator compatibility. Also star tracker integration. (Ignore playtimes, I used Project64 for most of these before I made the switch.

Attached: file.png (880x944, 81.72K)

Looks great, rly like the industrial theming.

You usually need to have a specific rom for rom hacks. What version you need is usually stated in whatever readme file the hack comes with or on the website that you got it from.

Pro tip, most rom hacks use the same rom of whatever game that it is modifying. It is not that hard to get a hold of these, but you'll have to do some googling. You should check /vr/ for topics about romhacks, some anons there are usually willing to share if you want to trust that they won't send you malware or broken roms

Don't even remember that level from 3.9. Looks neat tho.

Attached: OrchestralKeys.jpg (1920x1080, 864.64K)

Anything made by Kaze should be great.

Kaze's only good hack is 64 Land

That one he's been working on for a long time looks good