People who played the first two games when they came out, what was it like playing Soul Calibur II...

People who played the first two games when they came out, what was it like playing Soul Calibur II? Was it a huge improvement over them or was it just seen as "More of the same with QoL improvements"

Attached: soulcalibur2.jpg (259x194, 14.69K)

It had a great single player mode, but I liked 3's Ogre Battle like system better.

I just used cheats to see the rest of the ranks, because they got ridiculous

It was seen as a massive improvement and people played it at tons of locals. The only real debate was which version was better. Obviously it's the PS2 port.

fite me link is best boy

Attached: link.jpg (840x630, 76.21K)

I don't know but I went back and tried the first game and it's amazing how it still holds up both graphically and mechanically whereas something like the first Tekken is absolutely god awful to play and look at.

Gamecube had the best guest character. Heihachi in a weapon game was stupid and spawn was mediocre at best.

SC2 is still the greatest fighting game of all time

I'd agree if he was in the "modern" ports with Heihatchi and Spawn. Unless someone runs a GC copy at tournaments Link players get shafted.

Spawn was dope

It was unironically the best looking game for it's time, used to fap a lot to taki and ivy

Hard to say. I played 1 in arcade mostly and 2 was sit down time with console(s). But i'll say a smoother combo system and overall gameplay, and bonus characters and more unlockable weapons was neato

I shoulda just said that
Shit

SC2 was fucking great. I remember there being some sort of adventure mode I think in that one too.
Anyways i found it to be a significant improvement over SC1 and different enough from other fighters at the time.

>*back to title screen after beating the arcade*

SSSEEEEEIIIAAAA!!

I had a group at college to play Soul Caiber 1 everyday. We were extremely hyped to get SC2 to the point that I bought a loading disk for the Japanese release of SC2 on Gamecube, months before the western release.

I wonder how it feels to have your expectations realized and then some.

To this day I'm still blown away by some of their animations. Games even today look like shit in comparison.

I think at that time they were the top of the line since that was how Namco was doing it. Me and my friends were all shit at it and I always gravitates towards Nightmare and Kilik.

Taki had a penis

1 on the Dreamcast was an absolute beast, one of the major draws to the system at the time. When 2 came out, the fgc was already touting how good of a game 1 was, and the marketing for 2's guest characters were all over the place. All the game mags had 2 on the cover, and the commercial with that weapon seller guy trying to pawn of swords of the characters was on every channel. Since the beginning of Any Forums to 2010, the grab animation of Link spanking Ivy had been one of the go-to gifs to use when you wanted someone to read your post

The game itself was more of the same. The big difference was the console exclusive characters which caused console wars.
Some people will LARP they were competitive players and say 2 was the "best balanced" or "deepest" or whatever cope along those lines but in reality no one gave a shit about that at the time, in a pre-online era maybe 0.01% of people who played it actually cared about competition.

It was amazing because of how casual it is. We could all pass the controller around and everyone felt like they could play and have fun without memorizing button combinations.
Of course if you took the time to learn, you wouldn't have to give up the controller nearly as often.

All in all, my absolute favorite fighting game memories.

I liked SC2 less than 1.

It was insane. Soul Calibur 2 felt absolutely fucking massive.
People with different versions had no problem hopping to different consoles to compete just to see if they could hang. It was like Pokemon Red and Blue battling.

I haven't gone back to it in a long time, but I bet the amount of content it has is still impressive for a fighter.

only the fondest memories

It was an upgrade in every way, it was great. Raphael trolled the fuck out of people and was the Eddie of the game.

I recently bought the HD version and while it's as fun as it always was I always feel empty playing it knowing Link isn't on it.

Attached: 1625697440799.jpg (1280x720, 155.6K)

Nightmare Chad's know. Slow is fast

Attached: 1645243852600.jpg (250x321, 24.63K)