Where did this aesthetic originate?

Where did this aesthetic originate?
>sunny blue skies and beach
>upbeat jazzy fusion and pop
It was all over in late 80s and early 90s Japanese games, and Japanese pop culture in general. Where did it come from?

Attached: kUF7oO.jpg (800x603, 89.07K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Mcyx61jUs
youtube.com/watch?v=4nllSQP4ADk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it came from my anus

Attached: 1640378540719.png (500x500, 39.34K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Mcyx61jUs

Attached: Melon Esta Bien.jpg (720x994, 125.57K)

miami beat

yeah, it's miami vice

Attached: miami-vice_86cal2-5583fe2ec9603.jpg (700x872, 124.3K)

Look into the art of eizin Suzuki, city pop was big musically at the time as well, games like outrun are an extension of that overall aesthetic which was quite popular in Japan

I can't find anything about that show being popular in Japan though. How did it make it's way across the ocean?
Yeah that art is definitely the vibe I'm thinking of. If Eizin Suzuki was a pioneer of it do you happen to know what he was influenced by?

Probably some outdated idealisation of America

It wasn't popular, but a game developer in the 80s 90s japan isn't exactly the average rube either. Also, it's not just Miami Vice, but a larger american pop culture language at the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=4nllSQP4ADk

Attached: Outrun 2 Splash Wave [sound=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.catbox.moe%2Fr0y930.mp3].jpg (1920x1080, 534.51K)

Hmm I’m not sure, it looks very similar to some pop art from the 60s, just with a focus on really saturated colors and 50s cars and aesthetic. If you want music similar to this some good entry points are tatsuro yamashita hiroshi satoh and Toshiki kadomatsu are good staying points. Plastic love by mariya Takeuchi is kind of the big hit song tho, so definitely check that one out.

miami vice

Everyone is wrong.

It's from Top Gear on the snes.

I knew it

Attached: Ks1X1jH6KhKxVVQvcvGSlBDNbTjoc_gB38ub2zUC-T8.jpg (620x652, 91.39K)

I call it "The Age of High Cut Bikinis and Fat Shaming"

SEGA SOVL

Attached: emerald_coast.gif (500x711, 1.24M)

It pisses me off that women don't want to look like this anymore.

Attached: 901d0ff6y9l41.jpg (640x879, 136.75K)

See this is what I mean, the translation from Miami Vice to this doesn't seem obvious to me. But I guess it was a mixture of things only one of which was Vice.

That and other beach shows like Magnum PI and Riptide.
This aesthetic feels like a slightly harder edged 80s continuation of the 70s yacht rock vibe with the Memphis movement thrown in.

Miami Vice kicked off a solid decade of beach aestheticism but the aesthetic as it's canonized in videogames is much more inspired by the cultural exports 90s northern California where everyone was surfing, skateboarding, moving to silicon valley, and adopting valley girl/surfer dude speech.

Attached: california pacific coast highway.jpg (1200x675, 351.92K)

Probably has something to do with both the US and Japan's economies being very good in that era so you had a had a lot of hard working people who were enamored with relaxing by the beach and it became a whole aesthetic with the music, shows, video games, and clothing.

Attached: op-circa-1982.jpg (765x891, 245.41K)

God California looks so comfy back then.

>Where did it come from?
Red State California, vidya companies had their home there