WRPGs or JRPGs?

WRPGs or JRPGs?

Attached: 3ED11A4C-1A7B-40B4-A952-4195E47D0068.jpg (1113x1280, 378.94K)

Before you post in this thread, do keep in mind that OP used an iPhone to make this thread and has likely abandoned it by now.

WRPGs made before 2010.

The one with beautiful females

More like RPG back then and RPG now

The protagonists are literally the same bland vessels for the player to explore the world. The knly difference in JRPGs is that it’s a twink.

Better question: Why the fuck are so many games action, RPG, or both these days? Are these really the "optimal genres" as far as AAA devs are concerned?

Attached: 1523291200909.jpg (1916x2048, 375.11K)

I ike WRPFs because they usually have more character customization, both in visuals and mechanics.
The real answer would be Western Inspired Japanese made RPGs, like Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma.

>roleplaying game
>you have to play the role the game gives you instead of one you create

if you aren't making your own character, it's not a true roleplaying game. you cannot change my mind.

>OP used an iPhone to make this thread
Good. If you use a computer to access Any Forums that's fucking embarrassing, and if you use a non-iphone you're categorically less attractive.

"Roleplaying game" means "RPG systems". Actual roleplaying is categorically impossible with anything less capable of improv than a human, and 99% of games that attempt to give you "freedom and choice" just make their own gameplay suffer.

Jrpgs are for people who are shit at videogames, and as such they hide behind level 1 slime farming. Your average bro shooter takes more skill than a jarpgig, and at least those actually have level design.
Also
>genuinely imaginative and unique characters
Lol
Brooding bad boys with a retarded hair cut and the personality of a 14 year old, big titted cardboard cutout waifus, the list goes on

Attached: D90FB7CE-53C3-45F4-A1C7-DEFA7227428E.jpg (546x407, 25.15K)

WRPGs are for people who value freedom over basic design and are okay with every other challenge the game presents being improperly balanced in some way or another because the devs couldn't be expected to account for every option they gave the player.

Attached: why-not-both-why-not.gif (338x208, 917.08K)

j"""""""rpg"""""""" are all trash

I love JRPGs but using any Persona, let alone fucking Persona 3, immediately cripples any credibility your argument has.

Attached: 1635218892227.jpg (279x290, 9.45K)

AAA devs are afraid of other genres because they're scared shitless that they will be shown up by a 1-10 employee indie game that obliterates their shitty 300-employee-team game in quality. It has already happened multiple times.

This is why every game has to be 200 hours and an open world whatever these days from AAA companies. They know indie devs can't make them with small teams.

This much is true

There are almost 0 modern RPGs, retarded nigger
>inb4 this open world game has muh leveling and different gear, its RPG!!!!
No, its not, kys nigger

tags: wrpg, choices matter
translation: wrpg, choices change what line in a cutscene plays and that's it

AAA devs could easily split their dev teams into 1-10 employee units and shit out dozens of potential indie-tier darlings a year. Unless the idea of coming in second place is so much of a threat to them that they'd rather make no game at all than something competing with an indie, I don't think this is the whole picture.
Sorry, I did mean "RPG" as in "well it has some stats I guess". Like fucking every other AAA game in the past decade. Why has everyone started giving their game stats?

I like RPGs

What are some good WRPG?

WRPGs conceptually are better. Problem is most WRPGs are shit

Attached: 1560855445579.jpg (1200x750, 302.91K)

isn't OP some redditor with a VPN shitposting over WRPGs and JRPGs?

>food analogy

Attached: janitor_lego.png (1280x853, 633.55K)

Nah, Beepzorz would never have enough awareness to bait the other way.

>Why has everyone started giving their game stats?
I think it's a chicken-or-egg situation, but basically stats and progression systems in general have become substitutes for actually good gameplay. Think about the FPS genre - progression (with the exception of a few standouts like System Shock and Deus Ex) was limited to finding the occasional new gun or some armor. People played those games because they were inherently fun. The pessimist in me says that modern game devs legitimately do not understand the basic fundamental principle of game design: make it fun. And nobody wants to buy un-fun games. Now, I don't know the reason but psychologically our monkey brains light up when we fill bars and complete checklists and increase percentages and receive levels. So with fun taken out of games, how do you keep the audience entertained? Substitute progression for fun. Fill a game with bars and checklists and achievements and XP systems to make their dopamine light up even though the core gameplay isn't entertaining at all.

Huh, I guess I can see that. Even games that don't actually progress you at all seem to make a point of giving you checklists and shit. Daily loot boxes, experience bars, it's all over the place. I'm just shocked that they've managed to forget what "fun" is.

number go up and collecting checklists are only fun if the core gameplay is also fun.

you're dumb monkey if you play a game just to make number go up despite not liking the gameplay

Yes, and the average consumer AAA devs aim for is in fact a dumb monkey. Your point being?

>you're dumb monkey if you play a game just to make number go up despite not liking the gameplay
that's pretty much why I stopped playing modern AAA games, yes. They're inherently not fun. I'm still old enough to remember when DLC came in a box at the store and 20 hours was considered "long" by non-RPG game standards. That said, a shit-ton of the modern games audience do exactly what you said; they literally just want their dopamine fix by filling the bars. Gacha players are the paramount example of this.

You will never be japanese

no roleplay, no choice = not RPG

people shit on in-game collecting, dictionaries, logbooks, stats, perks, etc. as if it's something bad. all these things are just improvements and added nuanced to a game if it's fun to begin with. there is nothing wrong with them inherently.

the real problem is simply planning features before planning how the game will be made fun to play at the most basic moment-to-moment level

even idle rpgs are a thing now
the most popular flash games were these hamster wheel, chase the carrot types
you see how diablo 2 became a phenomenom.
it's not even gaming anymore it's gambling. always seeking another 1% increased damage

so Ultima isn't an RPG?

All of those things are HYPOTHETICALLY good but in practice, as you've mentioned, devs planning a shitload of lore and collectibles and even world design before they even ascertain how the game is going to be played minute to minute, when the world design should ALWAYS be informed by the basic gameplay.
Unfortunately the lion's share of games with all the shit you've described is AAA-developed bloated garbage developed by people who have barely even played video games.